Hyundai Forums banner

Wiring for trailer lights on 2003 Elantra

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  tohbi 
#1 ·
Looking to add trailer light wiring to my 2003 Elantra.

Is there a simple plug in connector already in the wiring harness of the car? If so, where?

Otherwise, where is the easiest place to access the wiring to add the trailer wiring?

Last, with the tail lights being all red, is the brake light & turn signal the same bulb or do I need a tail light converter to change a 5-wire system to a 4-wire system?

Thanks, Bill

#2 ·
Wow, hard to believe, seems like nobody has hooked up lights :-O For the record, in case anyone else searches this, here's what I did.

Note that I did make an error in my original post, the direction signals are amber (duh), so you need a 5-wire to 4-wire converter. I had mine left over from an old car, but you can get them for about $10 on Amazon or any car parts store.

1. Remove the access panels in the trunk behind both lights. There are 2 screws on each (sort of hidden toward the body side panel). Once you have done that you will see the connector that goes to each tail light assembly.

2. You don't have to, but its easier if you remove the plastic trim that goes across the inside rear of the trunk. There are two plastic "plugs" that can be pried out, then some clips on the top edge that will snap out when you pull up.

3. Feed the right turn signal input (typically a green wire) from the converter up to the right tail light connector. Connect to the "BLUE" wire coming from the car harness.

4. Feed all the other wires up to the left side tail light connector.

5. Connect the Ground input (typically a white wire) from the converter to the "BLACK" wire coming from the car harness.

6. Connect the Left Turn signal input (typically a yellow wire) from the converter to the "YELLOW W/ RED STRIPE" wire coming from the car harness.

7. Connect the Tail light signal input (typically a brown wire) from the converter to the "YELLOW" wire coming from the car harness.

8. Connect the Stop light input (typically a red wire) from the converter to the "WHITE" wire coming from the car harness.

That should do it.

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.