Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 87 Excel POS for $200. The **** thing keeps blowing the Fusable link on the cahrging system. Apparently it did the same for the prevous owner. First, How many amps is it supposed to be rated at? There was a 30 amp in there, I replaced it with a 40 amp. I know that many charging systems are rated at up to 60 amps and the last owner may have put the 30 amp in by mistake. Second, if the 30 amp IS correct, where can I get a wiring schematic so I can trace down the problem? aside from buying one rember that $200.00 Canadian I paid for it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I couldnt find a spec for the '87 but the '88 exell calls for a 60A fusible link in the circuit that runs from the alternator to the battery. That should be the one at the end with the big white wire that runs to the alternator. There's three other links in that block that should be 30A.

You could still have a dead short somewhere - look for any wear where wires are rubbing against metal

You can access a wiring diagram direclty at https://dcs.hyundaidealer.com/customer/index.jsp

Click on "technical info", then enter the year and model (I used Excel 1988) then click on "SHOP" and look under "Body Electrical System" There's a general document and then an appendix with complete wiring diagrams.

Can't go too far wrong for $200

Where in BC are you?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts