Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Accent which has a problem with the immobiliser, the chip in the key has failed and it will not start. I have tried disconnecting the battery etc without success.
The local Hyundai dealer tried to get me some information but also without success.
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for one of these, I have a couple of Haynes Manuals but the wiring diagrams are pretty basic. I want to bypass the BCM but I will need some reasonable level of detail to do this effectively.

Any assistance greatly appreciated

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Are you sure your problem is with the key? What trouble codes are logged?

If it is the key, your only realistic option is to have a new one coded. You can't really bypass the transponder key immobilizer. It's an internal part of the engine PCM. AFAIK, the only way to bypass it is to have the computer software altered to remove the immobilizer code from it's programming.

I was an auto electrician in a Hyundai dealership with the factory diagrams and all the info on how the immobilizer works. Trust me, a detailed diagram isn't going to help you. There wouldn't be much point to the immobilizer if you could just bypass it. But try a search on google for "Hyundai SMARTRA" and I'm sure you'll find a diagram of the circuit. There isn't much wiring involved because the work is all done inside the PCM.

Regards.
Scottie.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Scottie,
Thank you for your reply, the car has always started until now, I live some distance from a dealer, and the car is not registered, long story but I bought it for my daughter in 2011 and then was unable to register it, so it has sat in my driveway for the past 6 years.
When I went to move it a few weeks ago, I got an indicator light with a vehicle and a key under it, which is apparently the immobiliser light.
I have checked the OBDII port with my scantool, and no codes are set, I am assuming that the immobiliser probably will not turn on the ignition (or possibly the fuel pump) as the starter turns the motor over normally.
I have not checked for a spark at the plugs etc, basically I was hoping that I could work out from a wiring diagram what the immobiliser actually did, and then either bypass it or alternatively provide a power source separate from the key lock to get the car to run.
My nearest dealer says that the key is most likely the problem, but it will be expensive to get the car towed over there and fixed.
I have paid for access to the USA Hyundai site and got some wiring information, bit I think the US cars are different to the Australian models.
Thanks again for your help, if you have any further ideas I would love to hear them,

Regards,

Sean W,
Drouin, Australia

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
It's normal for the immobilizer warning lamp to come on with the ignition. It should switch off during crank.
If the light doesn't come on or it flashes that indicates a fault. At least that's the way it works on my Hyundai Getz which has the same immobilizer system.

US models don't have the transponder key immob so that explains why your having no luck finding info on their tech site.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi sean i have a similar problem with my uncles car i am in Gippsland also, did you end up fixing this problem??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts