Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else experiencing problems with wireless charging? I have a 2020 Santa Fe Limited. I have tried charging 2 iphones.

The first is an iphone 5s which does not have wireless charging built in. I attached a receiver pad to the phone(which had a 50% charge) and tried to charge it . After about an hour I noticed that the battery had discharged and the back of the phone was hot to the touch.

The second was an iphone 10. I tried to charge it when the battery was at 40%. After about an hour and a half, the charge state was 70% and again the phone was hot to the touch.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
299 Posts
That is normal with wireless charging in general. It is slower than plugging your phone in and causes more heat.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I’m quite pleased with the wireless charger. I’m currently using an Otter Box that is quite thick. My other wireless chargers won’t work without removing the phone (iPhone 8s) from the case. But the Santa Fe charger works just fine!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I charge my Iphone 11 and GF's iphone XR. Neither one us have a problem. It's slower of course but does the job. Both of us have different cases.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"Is anyone else experiencing problems with wireless charging? I have a 2020 Santa Fe Limited. I have tried charging 2 iphones."

Did you ever resolve this? I just bought a 2019 today and after realizing it wasn't charging started reading thru the manual. Apparently you have to turn this on? How odd... The directions to turn it on are not very clear. I have yet to figure it out. I could not use my phone on the (2 hr.) drive home because the battery was so low. Couldn't find any videos on it either.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
299 Posts
It's in one of the menus. I can't remember which one exactly, but you do have to enable it.

Edit: it's in the convenience menu. See attached shots from the manual.

·
Registered
'20 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
67 Posts
I don't think it supports fast wireless charging thus another reason why it's slow. Also it doesn't seem to have a built-in fan like most Samsung wireless chargers so the phone gets hot after sitting on the charging pad for sometime.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD Stormy Sea
179 Posts
Are you sure that your add on charger for the old iPhone is a Qi charger? The pad will only charge with Qi standard hardware. My S10+ gets quite warm when charging but I wouldn't say it was hot. A case will increase the heat when charging compared to charging with no case. The wireless charger is convenient, but it's rather slow compared to just plugging in the phone to the cars USB ports.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
477 Posts
I not saying it's useless, just that the pad in my SF is A LOT slower than the 10W pad I have at home.
That's probably true. Wireless charging is a bit of a gimmick. The one benefit in the car is that you don't need to fumble with the cord if you are driving; you can just place it down on the charging pad--assuming you don't store a bunch of junk there like my wife does.

·
Registered
104 Posts
..............The second was an iphone 10. I tried to charge it when the battery was at 40%. After about an hour and a half, the charge state was 70% and again the phone was hot to the touch.
Similar for me. iPhone 10, I don't use if often but I did on a recent trip and it was pretty darn hot when I removed it after 90 minutes or so (both the back & the glass). I think this was the longest I've ever had on the charger, not certain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alright, I am hoping someone can offer some assistance with this crazy problem. I just purchased a 2020 Veloster Ultimate Turbo with the Qi wireless charger. My Sony Xperia phone isn't compatible but I purchased one of those flat plug in type wireless receivers online. The phone charges just fine via wireless using a cheap puck type charger at home. However, when I try to charge my phone in the car on the Qi pad, the phone starts going bonkers when I remove it from the charging pad, or attempt to touch the screen while its on the charging pad. For instance, the touch screen becomes unresponsive, or rapidly recognizing touches which I am not doing. This will continue for at least a few minutes after removing it from the charger in my Veloster. Is there any possibility that the Qi charger is bad? I turned off WIFI and bluetooth on my phone just to make sure it was not interference. But it almost seems like some sort of static electricity. The weird thing is it charges just fine in the house. I haven't seen anything similar to this elsewhere online. And just thought I'd ask for some feedback before taking it into the dealership and having them look at me like I am completely insane. Thanks =) zanz

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD Stormy Sea
179 Posts
Alright, I am hoping someone can offer some assistance with this crazy problem. I just purchased a 2020 Veloster Ultimate Turbo with the Qi wireless charger. My Sony Xperia phone isn't compatible but I purchased one of those flat plug in type wireless receivers online. The phone charges just fine via wireless using a cheap puck type charger at home. However, when I try to charge my phone in the car on the Qi pad, the phone starts going bonkers when I remove it from the charging pad, or attempt to touch the screen while its on the charging pad. For instance, the touch screen becomes unresponsive, or rapidly recognizing touches which I am not doing. This will continue for at least a few minutes after removing it from the charger in my Veloster. Is there any possibility that the Qi charger is bad? I turned off WIFI and bluetooth on my phone just to make sure it was not interference. But it almost seems like some sort of static electricity. The weird thing is it charges just fine in the house. I haven't seen anything similar to this elsewhere online. And just thought I'd ask for some feedback before taking it into the dealership and having them look at me like I am completely insane. Thanks =) zanz
The first thing I would do before going to the dealer would be to try the car''s pad with a phone that has built in wireless charging (friend, family member, neighbor). If the same or similar situation occurs then I'd say you have a problem with the cars pad. The other thing to check is that there is no gap between the receiver on the phone and the Qi pad. What I think is that the add-on charger isn't compatible or there's to large of a gap. Qi charging works by creating a creating a resonating magnetic field and it could be that the field is messing with your phone because there is too large a gap between the pad in the car and the receiver on the phone. And because your phone was never designed to be charged wirelessly it probably doesn't have the proper magnetic shielding that a Qi capable phone would have. I've had a fair number of people with a variety of phones use the Qi pad in my SF and none of them have had any issues (though the phones do get fairly warm). The USB ports in your car will charge your phone a lot faster and generate a lot less heat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts