Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true that the wireless capability of apple CarPlay only available in the smaller infotainment screen and not the 10 inch screen? And can it be altered by some sort of software

·
Registered
619 Posts
i don't think the 2021 Tuscon has it. The 2022 coming out this year will have it.

On other models like the 2021 Elantra, it is true that the 8 inch display had wireless AA/Carplay and the 10 inch display does not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2021 10 inch doesn’t have it but yes lower models do. I bought a wireless dongle which works fine

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is it true that the wireless capability of apple CarPlay only available in the smaller infotainment screen and not the 10 inch screen? And can it be altered by some sort of software
Yes, the 10 inch infotainment system does not have wireless CarPlay on the 2022 Tucson. Not sure if it can be fixed with a software update, but as of a few days ago when I test drove, it did not.

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
1,894 Posts
i don't think the 2021 Tuscon has it. The 2022 coming out this year will have it.

On other models like the 2021 Elantra, it is true that the 8 inch display had wireless AA/Carplay and the 10 inch display does not.
The ‘22 Tucson in North America is called ‘21 in other countries (like the one the OP lives in).

·
Registered
11 Posts
How much hope is there that Hyundai adds in wireless apple carplay/android auto in their top level trims in future software update?

I'm hearing it isn't so much a technical issue but rather a licensing one?

·
Registered
5 Posts
If it’s a licensing issue, even worse. I’m assuming Google and/or Apple put restrictions on the size of the screen that can be controlled via wireless CarPlay or Android Auto for a reason and until that reason is taken care of, there likely won’t be much one car maker can do at all to make them budge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If it’s a licensing issue, even worse. I’m assuming Google and/or Apple put restrictions on the size of the screen that can be controlled via wireless CarPlay or Android Auto for a reason and until that reason is taken care of, there likely won’t be much one car maker can do at all to make them budge.
That does make sense. So both a technical and license issue.

Well I would only use android auto for the navigation but in my limited experience, the factory nav isn't so bad. And it at least takes up the whole screen real estate.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I can't imagine screen size being a factor in wireless vs wired control. I think it's more likely the head units come from two different OEMs, one of whom had their hardware certified by Google and Apple already and one that did not. I've read that Hyundai has said the capability will come later with a software update which implies the proper hardware is in place, they just need the go-ahead to turn the feature on which, in turn, applies they just aren't certified yet.

·
Registered
16 Mazda CX-5 GT. Korean CUV next?
34 Posts
I can't imagine screen size being a factor in wireless vs wired control…
Actually, screen size might well be a determining factor. Bluetooth has limited bandwidth compared to a wired connection. The 8” screen resolution might push it to the limit. A 10” screen has at least 25% more pixels which could exceed Bluetooth’s carrying capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7 Posts
Actually, screen size might well be a determining factor. Bluetooth has limited bandwidth compared to a wired connection. The 8” screen resolution might push it to the limit. A 10” screen has at least 25% more pixels which could exceed Bluetooth’s carrying capacity.

I’m using wireless Carplay on the 10 " screen with a dongle i have purchased without any problem. So i don’t think it’s a bandwitch problem.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Wireless Android Auto uses 5GHz Wifi, not Bluetooth, and 5GHz has more than enough bandwidth for AA on a large screen.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wireless Android Auto uses 5GHz Wifi, not Bluetooth, and 5GHz has more than enough bandwidth for AA on a large screen.
Does wireless CarPlay use Bluetooth or WiFi?

I’m using wireless Carplay on the 10 " screen with a dongle i have purchased without any problem. So i don’t think it’s a bandwitch problem.
Is the dongle using Bluetooth or WiFi?

Still not sure what the reason is for lack of wireless CarPlay- technical, bandwidth, licensing, different OS on 10” than 8”, or other.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does wireless CarPlay use Bluetooth or WiFi?

Is the dongle using Bluetooth or WiFi?

Still not sure what the reason is for lack of wireless CarPlay- technical, bandwidth, licensing, different OS on 10” than 8”, or other.

The dongle i have, don’t ask me why but he needs both, Wifi and Bluetooth at the same time.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The dongle i have, don’t ask me why but he needs both, Wifi and Bluetooth at the same time.
How it Works
Wireless CarPlay has three requirements, a Bluetooth connection, a Wi-Fi access point, and location data. Here’s is a simplified breakdown of the entire process:
  1. To initialize the connection the phone uses Bluetooth to send a signal to the head unit requesting to connect.
  2. Once the Bluetooth connection is made the phone will request wireless credentials to the Wi-Fi access point.
  3. Upon confirmation the head unit will send the wireless credentials to the iPhone, which will cause the phone to search and join the Wi-Fi access point.
  4. After the Wi-Fi connection has been established, the Bluetooth signal will disconnect and all audio and video will be transferred over Wi-Fi.
  5. And now you’re set, you now can use CarPlay wirelessly.
I assume it's the same for Android Auto, in that Bluetooth is used to establish the Wifi connection and then disconnects. I'm not sure if CarPlay requires 5GHz but AA does from what I've read.

·
Registered
34 Posts
How it Works
Wireless CarPlay has three requirements, a Bluetooth connection, a Wi-Fi access point, and location data. Here’s is a simplified breakdown of the entire process:
  1. To initialize the connection the phone uses Bluetooth to send a signal to the head unit requesting to connect.
  2. Once the Bluetooth connection is made the phone will request wireless credentials to the Wi-Fi access point.
  3. Upon confirmation the head unit will send the wireless credentials to the iPhone, which will cause the phone to search and join the Wi-Fi access point.
  4. After the Wi-Fi connection has been established, the Bluetooth signal will disconnect and all audio and video will be transferred over Wi-Fi.
  5. And now you’re set, you now can use CarPlay wirelessly.
I assume it's the same for Android Auto, in that Bluetooth is used to establish the Wifi connection and then disconnects. I'm not sure if CarPlay requires 5GHz but AA does from what I've read.
Thanks for the in-depth info, @Nougat ! That would seem to eliminate bandwidth, leaving us with technical, licensing, different OS on 10” than 8”, or other. Anyone have solid info on the “why?”

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thanks for the in-depth info, @Nougat ! That would seem to eliminate bandwidth, leaving us with technical, licensing, different OS on 10” than 8”, or other. Anyone have solid info on the “why?”
My pleasure. What leads me to my belief that it may be a certification issue is I work for a company that has devices that go through the certification process for Amazon Alexa/Google Assistant/Apple Siri badging/certification. It's a fairly intense deal (Apple certification is infinitely more painful than the other two) and it can take awhile. If the 10" head unit hadn't passed certification at release for either AA or Carplay it would simply be a matter of issuing a software patch at a later time to enable the features. I've read that Hyundai said that's exactly what would happen, that it would be a software upgrade at some point in the future meaning the hardware is there to support it, it's just currently turned off (assuming the claim is correct, and I'd be surprised if it wasn't).

I went through a similar situation with my 2015 Sonata, where a software patch came out like 2-3 years after I bought the car to enable AA/Carplay. The head unit shipped in the car with all the necessary hardware, it just required a software update to support it which, I'm assuming, meant the head unit/software patch had to go through the certification process.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My pleasure. What leads me to my belief that it may be a certification issue is I work for a company that has devices that go through the certification process for Amazon Alexa/Google Assistant/Apple Siri badging/certification. It's a fairly intense deal (Apple certification is infinitely more painful than the other two) and it can take awhile. If the 10" head unit hadn't passed certification at release for either AA or Carplay it would simply be a matter of issuing a software patch at a later time to enable the features. I've read that Hyundai said that's exactly what would happen, that it would be a software upgrade at some point in the future meaning the hardware is there to support it, it's just currently turned off (assuming the claim is correct, and I'd be surprised if it wasn't).

I went through a similar situation with my 2015 Sonata, where a software patch came out like 2-3 years after I bought the car to enable AA/Carplay. The head unit shipped in the car with all the necessary hardware, it just required a software update to support it which, I'm assuming, meant the head unit/software patch had to go through the certification process.
Thanks again @Nougat.

I much prefer the larger screen and can wait for wireless CarPlay as long as it is relatively certain to be added.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts