Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this in YouTube. Anyone has it working on their Tucson ? Mine has to be hard wired but may be I have to get the latest version from hyundai website on the sd card?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Mine seemed to work without a usb after I set it up... it auto connects bluetooth when I start up and then it seemed android auto was running also. I haven't played around with it too much but I finally figured out how to get Waze to work on the screen instead of google maps.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I saw this in YouTube. Anyone has it working on their Tucson ? Mine has to be hard wired but may be I have to get the latest version from hyundai website on the sd card?
Got the link on Youtube?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine seemed to work without a usb after I set it up... it auto connects bluetooth when I start up and then it seemed android auto was running also. I haven't played around with it too much but I finally figured out how to get Waze to work on the screen instead of google maps.
Mine android auto app on the phone automatically turns on, but in the car I have to actually connect the usb to have it opened in the car screen. How did you do yours to do it wirelessly? (meaning not on the phone popping automatically but have the car app come up without connecting the usb)

Got the link on Youtube?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
just get a tracphone, about 50 bucks, the one i got has 5gb data. plug it in, and put it in an out of the way place, like the glovebox. you only use about 100mb/mo, and it only costs 50 bucks to renew it for a year. for another 10 bucks, you can get another 1gb of data. then you connect your regular phone to bluetooth. depending on how often you drive the car, the phone never needs to be charged.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Mine android auto app on the phone automatically turns on, but in the car I have to actually connect the usb to have it opened in the car screen. How did you do yours to do it wirelessly? (meaning not on the phone popping automatically but have the car app come up without connecting the usb)
I'll double check today if it works wireless or not.

·
Registered
941 Posts
You are correct, seems that it does not work wirelessly. AA pops up but doesn't do anything on the screen until it's plugged into the USB.

I don't know if it's a limitation of our HU but it's android auto is supposed to be able to be used wireless with supported devices...

If you’re the owner of a Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 5X, or Nexus 6P running Android Oreo or higher, you’ll be able to automatically load Android Auto onto your car display as soon as you climb into your Android Auto-equipped car. No longer will you need to plug in your phone — it’ll connect automatically via Wi-Fi. More devices are expected to roll out throughout the year with this same capability.
I've got the pixel 2 xl so it auto connects, but like you said the gps doesn't seem to work without being on usb. Maybe it takes some tinkering or our HU doesn't support it.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
What you quoted is that it will connect automatically via Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi is not the same as bluetooth. It looks like for Android Auto to work wirelessly, you need a direct wifi connection and not a bluetooth connection(probably due to bandwidth/speed limitations on Bluetooth).

·
Registered
941 Posts
yeah, it auto connects via bluetooth (the car or the phone does not produce it's own wifi network) .. but a head unit that is compatible with wireless android auto is needed.. with wifi. so not our system.

If you’ve got a Pixel, Pixel 2, or 2015 Nexus phone, you now have Android Auto wireless support. You almost certainly do not have the necessary hardware in your car to do wireless projection. A cable has been required because the phone runs Auto and just shows the UI on a screen — the car doesn’t have anything to do with it. Android Auto’s wireless mode is not operating over Bluetooth like phone calls and media streaming. There’s nowhere near enough bandwidth in Bluetooth to run Android Auto, so the feature used Wi-Fi to communicate with the display.
Google has enabled cord-free Android Auto in vehicles that have an Android Auto Wireless-compatible infotainment system (built-in or aftermarket)
So obviously we do not have a wireless compatible system.

Also comments are that wireless eats the battery big time and heats the phone up.. so might not be that great to use anyways.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts