Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I am struggling with the wiper design now that winter has reared its ugly head in Canada. First of all I can't just lift the wipers if I know it will be icy and have to turn the car off when they are running so they are on the window and not at the bottom. Secondly, they seem to sit well below the part of the windshield where the defroster hits the glass. I had some frozen ice just about the wipers and despite putting the defroster on full blast for 20 minutes, the ice would not melt. I had to bang it with my hand to get it to eventually come loose. Seems to be a major design flaw for those of us in cold climates with lots of snow and ice.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
So far I am struggling with the wiper design now that winter has reared its ugly head in Canada. First of all I can't just lift the wipers if I know it will be icy and have to turn the car off when they are running so they are on the window and not at the bottom. Secondly, they seem to sit well below the part of the windshield where the defroster hits the glass. I had some frozen ice just about the wipers and despite putting the defroster on full blast for 20 minutes, the ice would not melt. I had to bang it with my hand to get it to eventually come loose. Seems to be a major design flaw for those of us in cold climates with lots of snow and ice.
Seems you didn’t bother to read the manual. It’s simple to park your wipers UP at any time. Immediately after turning off the ignition, push the wiper stalk to the top position and hold it there. After the wipers park vertically on the windshield, release the stalk. Then go sleep tight and scrape the windshield in the AM with ease. And, stop blaming Hyundai.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I agree the setup is not for winter climate. Would like to heard from Hyundai the reason behind it. The obvious guess would be wind noise and/or fuel efficiency related. But my guess is an engineering screw-up and but provided the wiper park (software fix lol) as workaround.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems you didn’t bother to read the manual. It’s simple to park your wipers UP at any time. Immediately after turning off the ignition, push the wiper stalk to the top position and hold it there. After the wipers park vertically on the windshield, release the stalk. Then go sleep tight and scrape the windshield in the AM with ease. And, stop blaming Hyundai.
I have read the manual. Why wouldn't I blame Hyundai, they designed what I think is a poor system for winter climates. Do you think it makes sense that snow at the bottom of my windshield won't melt when the front defrost is on full? What happens when I drive in crappy weather and the snow and ice won't melt? Pull over every 10 minutes to clear it?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
It’s nothing new on ANY vehicle to have to hit the ice around the bottom of the windshield wipers to fully remove it from the windshield. I have the same design on my ‘12 Genesis and have been easily clearing it since the winter of ‘11-‘12. Of course, it’s more difficult with an SUV because it’s higher off the ground and a harder reach.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a PITA is what it is. I've owned over 10 cars in my life and this is the first I had that problem. We get a brutal winter her (4" of snow last night) and this is not an ideal setup.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yea. I hate this feature and it's not obvious. I always have to tell the people at the car wash to not lift up the wipers manually since it has been attempted numerous times in the past. It's not a well known feature. Also not good if you wake up or at work with inches of snow or iced windows on the car. The wipers won't move if already frozen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I came here looking for information on this exact thing and saw this as the first post. I was thinking of leaving them in the up position if we are expecting snow or ice but do they not automatically return to the down position as soon as the car is started up? If there is any amount of build up that is hard snow or ice at the bottom of the windshield I would be worried of damaging more then just the wipers.
I wish I had paid more attention to this when I was buying it. I agree it seems like a poor design flaw.

·
Registered
11 Posts
On my old 2001 Dodge Caravan the windshield had the electric heating wires (same as the rear windows) built into the lower part of the windshield where the wipers park.
When you press and engage the defrost button it activates the wiper defrost feature along with the heated side mirrors. Great feature!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On my old 2001 Dodge Caravan the windshield had the electric heating wires (same as the rear windows) built into the lower part of the windshield where the wipers park.
When you press and engage the defrost button it activates the wiper defrost feature along with the heated side mirrors. Great feature!
yes, that would be an ideal option.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
They sell windshield covers that also cover the side view mirrors.
Strap goes inside to keep them from being stolen
With one wave of the hand, snow falls off the windshield and no scrapping needed.

If you are going to take the time to put your wipers up
Then putting these covers on makes lots of sense to avoid doing that

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I came here looking for information on this exact thing and saw this as the first post. I was thinking of leaving them in the up position if we are expecting snow or ice but do they not automatically return to the down position as soon as the car is started up? If there is any amount of build up that is hard snow or ice at the bottom of the windshield I would be worried of damaging more then just the wipers.
I wish I had paid more attention to this when I was buying it. I agree it seems like a poor design flaw.
NO, they do NOT automatically return to the down position when the vehicle is started. Read the manual. Stop obsessing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are 100% on design flaw. You can't properly clean ice and snow below the wipers as you cannot lift the wiper arms more than an inch!. I just got nailed with about 12" of snow the last day and this is the first time trying to remove the ice and snow and design is very poor.

My 2015 I was able to lift the wipers out of the way and clean and scrape the windshield properly very easily.

PMCErnie If I was to have my wipers park in the up position before turning in for the day, do they return back to the down position if I remote start the Santa Fe?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
You are 100% on design flaw. You can't properly clean ice and snow below the wipers as you cannot lift the wiper arms more than an inch!. I just got nailed with about 12" of snow the last day and this is the first time trying to remove the ice and snow and design is very poor.

My 2015 I was able to lift the wipers out of the way and clean and scrape the windshield properly very easily.

PMCErnie If I was to have my wipers park in the up position before turning in for the day, do they return back to the down position if I remote start the Santa Fe?

Thanks
Doesn’t anybody read the manual?

Kindly park your wipers up. Then remote start the vehicle and report back to us what you learn.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Thanks
I did this yesterday and they do not return to the position after remote starting. I had to just hit up on the wipers to get them back into the correct position.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I used the rain senor mode in wet snow yesterday, totally POS. The sensitivity setting is inconsistent. The standalone Slow mode is too fast. Ended up using rain sensor mode with manual control as required. There should be an option to select rain sensor or the regular intermittent mode! Just like ACC and regular cruise control. Whoever designed the wiper system must have been high on something.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is my third car from 3 manufacturers that has rain sensors (also Toyota & MINI) and I've had the same disappointment with all of them. In fairness, they've gotten progressively better but I'd love to see an option to toggle the rain sensing sensitivity back into an old school intermittent wiper rate. I'd probably never use rain sensing mode again.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I used the rain senor mode in wet snow yesterday, totally POS. The sensitivity setting is inconsistent. The standalone Slow mode is too fast. Ended up using rain sensor mode with manual control as required. There should be an option to select rain sensor or the regular intermittent mode! Just like ACC and regular cruise control. Whoever designed the wiper system must have been high on something.
Maybe that's why it's called a rain sensor and not a snow sensor?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts