Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I bought my SF, I thought the stock wipers didn't work very well. I upgraded to Icon wipers, which I have used in other vehicles with great success. They were better, but still not great.

After a period of a few weeks, I started noticing 2 problems when it rained. First, water beaded up in a weird way. There were spots that would get wet, and there were spots that looked to be dry, as if the water was flowing around certain area. Odd. More importantly, my windshield developed a haze when it rained. Really only noticeable at night, but as the wipers sweep across the glass, they leave a whitish, hazy film that lasts for a fraction of a second, but then is gone before the next sweep. When lights from oncoming cars hit the windshield, I have to struggle to see through the haze.

It's gotten where I cringe if it starts raining at night. I have owned many vehicles in my life, and I have NEVER had this problem.

Is this a glass problem? Wiper problem? What to do about it? One possible factor. I have never used RainX, but at one of the car washes a while back, they had a special for free RainX, so I said what the heck and had them do it. I couldn't swear to the timing, but I seem to recall that I started to notice my windshield/wiper problems around that same time. Could that be the problem?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I noticed a haze on the exterior of the windshield at night when we first picked up our GLS a couple of months ago. I had assumed that it was something the dealership applied when they detailed the car prior to delivery. FWIW, I haven't noticed it for quite some time (I've washed the car several times since then if that matters).

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yes mgibson it's most likely the rainX. Try washing the windshield off with dish washing soap like Dawn then clean it again with any glass cleaner like Windex, do the wiper blades too. If rainx isn't applied correctly you'll get that blinding haze when a bright light hits your windshield.

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
870 Posts
RainX works great at first but then it does that haze and becomes a PITA. You have to re-apply it often, like every 2 months, if you want it to continue working and not become a hazard instead of a help during rain.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I use RainX on all my vehicle's it works great. I normally lightly reapply it after several car washes. It's nice not having to use the wipers especially on the highway. The wife loves it too. The trick is to apply it with a cloth in a firm circular motion then let it dry to a haze. Next buff it off with a dry cloth till the haze is completely gone. It takes a little elbow grease to buff it off but not too bad. This is why people get the blinding haze because they don't buff it off after applying it.

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Happy to report that the odd beading and hazing problem seems to have gone away. I believe it resolved itself through a combination of thoroughly cleaning the windshield and wipers by hand, and the simple passing of time. This only reinforces my thought that the original problem was due to a bad install of RainX a few car washes ago.

I am still not happy with the overall performance of the wipers. Even though I upgraded from the stock wipers, they still do just an adequate job. It's as if there is not enough tension in the wiper arm, and thus the blade is not pressing down hard enough on the windshield to completely clear it on each pass. The upgraded wipers are better than the stock wipers, but not by much. This seems to be a common problem mentioned by several other people, so I believe it is probably a design issue on the part of Hyundai. The funny thing is, this is the first car I have ever owned where I even gave a thought to the wipers until they needed to be replaced. It's just not something I ever noticed. While it is one of my very few peeves about my Santa Fe, it is still annoying. Even without the beading and hazing problem, visibility during the rain is still worse than I have ever experienced in any other vehicle, as a driver or passenger. It's not dangerously bad, it's just irritatingly bad.

·
22,788 Posts
After buffing off the RainX, a hint of haze remains. I spray a light mist of water onto the windshield and buff it off with a dry microfiber cloth. That has worked for me.

Another Helpful Hint from your Uncle Rich. :wink2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts