Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Elantra Touring. The wipers will not park after use, but all other functions (slow, fast and intermittent) are working fine. When the wipers are stopped they stay at the 2 o'clock position as viewed from inside the car. I presume this is a motor problem which started after a heavy snow and ice storm.

I have tried to find a wiper motor at the local u-pull yard, but they don't have a Touring, just sedans. The 2009 Elantra sedans have a different mount than the touring model. Does anyone know the correct part number for the motor? Maybe the same motor is used on another Hyundai model or a Kia. Any advice would be appreciated.

Ted

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I'm afraid the only vehicle with that part in Canada and US is the Elantra Touring. You could source one used from any LHD market I would think like Europe.

Also the BCM controls a lot of electrical functions including the wipers

981101H000

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm afraid the only vehicle with that part in Canada and US is the Elantra Touring. You could source one used from any LHD market I would think like Europe.

Also the BCM controls a lot of electrical functions including the wipers

981101H000

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that info. I pulled a used wiper motor from a 2009 Elantra sedan and it had the same part number as the one in the picture you posted, but the mounting system and the electrical connector are different. The motor in your picture has the mounting system I need. That's pretty weird.

And thanks for the tip about the BCM. I'll check that out too. Meanwhile, I think I have found a u-pull yard with a couple of Touring models so I might yet find one close to home.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,285 Posts
When the wipers are stopped they stay at the 2 o'clock position as viewed from inside the car.
Do they always stop in the same position every time you switch them off? What happens if you switch on the intermittent wipe? Do they sweep the screen then return to the 2 o'clock position?

If the wipers are always stopping at the same spot there is nothing wrong with the motor or the parking circuit. You just need to reset the linkage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AUTOSPARK: Thanks for that interesting piece of advice about adjusting the linkage. The wipers stop in the same position regardless of what function I use. I'm not really sure how to reset the linkage. I have already tried removing the arms, turning the wipers on then off, and then reinstalling the wiper arms in the park position. That was a failure because the arms wanted to continue the down sweep but could not.

I think maybe I need to disconnect the linkage at the motor and move it to a different position. I can't visualize the right position in my mind but I can use the trial and error method. I'll see how that goes.

Gerard 2: Thanks for the pictures, Both of those units have two mounting bolts and a rubber mount that slips into a bracket. They look like the ones I have seen on Elantra sedans in the u-pull yard. The one for the Touring model has thee bolts and no rubber mount. The connector is flat as opposed to the square/rectangular one in the photo. Apparently the one I need is used only on the 2009-2012 Touring in Canada.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wait... I think I know what I have to do. Undo the linkage, start then stop the motor, place the arms in the park position, then reattach the linkage. I'm going to try that now.

·
Registered
14,285 Posts
Wait... I think I know what I have to do. Undo the linkage, start then stop the motor, place the arms in the park position, then reattach the linkage. I'm going to try that now.
You've got it...spot on!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help. I have it pretty close after a few tries - maybe not perfect but good enough for someone with my skill level. It's so nice to have a forum like this where people are so generous with their help. You saved me some bucks too.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
You've got it...spot on!
Do they always stop in the same position every time you switch them off? What happens if you switch on the intermittent wipe? Do they sweep the screen then return to the 2 o'clock position?

If the wipers are always stopping at the same spot there is nothing wrong with the motor or the parking circuit. You just need to reset the linkage.
I find this interesting, so how does it end up in this situation? Is this a timer issues that's gone out of phase? I've read of scenarios where people chase their tails and replace motors etc with no effect.

One thing I have noticed on all my Hyundais is that every once in a while the wiper will miss it's park position by a whisker and stop just on the rise. another momentary sweep always re-parks them

·
Registered
14,285 Posts
I find this interesting, so how does it end up in this situation? Is this a timer issues that's gone out of phase?
Seems like a mechanical issue to me, like the motor has rotated but the wiper linkage has been held stationary at some point. Possibly the linkage was overloaded trying to move heavy snow from the windscreen and that knocking the alignment of the two parts out of whack. Who knows what actually caused it to happen, but the motor/linkage alignment seemed to me to be the only explanation for what he was describing. The blades always stopping in the same position tells us the self park function is operating properly.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Seems like a mechanical issue to me, like the motor has rotated but the wiper linkage has been held stationary at some point. Possibly the linkage was overloaded trying to move heavy snow from the windscreen and that knocking the alignment of the two parts out of whack. Who knows what actually caused it to happen, but the motor/linkage alignment seemed to me to be the only explanation for what he was describing. The blades always stopping in the same position tells us the self park function is operating properly.
I did like the lateral thinking, I was more focussed on what had happened. For whatever reason I always assumed the link would be keyed and thinking about it I've never had a wiper issue on any vehicle touch wood over 35 years

·
Registered
14,285 Posts
For whatever reason I always assumed the link would be keyed
Unfortunately not. The linkage can attach to the motor in any position, which is why the OP found it a bit tricky to get the motor and the linkage aligned properly. The job would be way too easy if they just keyed the two components at manufacture.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From my point of view (having limited skill but having disassembled and reassembled the wiper arms and linkage several times), I have come to the conclusion that the slippage occurred at the point where the linkage connects to the motor. It seemed to be tight enough when I first disassembled the connection but the linkage doesn't seem to be bent so what else could it be?

That little motor must have a lot of torque. The snow on the windshield was very wet and heavy according to my wife. She has a bad habit of leaving the wipers in the "on" position if it is raining or snowing when she parks the car. During the night it snowed quite heavily. In the morning she started the car before clearing the windshield.

·
Registered
14,285 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that the slippage occurred at the point where the linkage connects to the motor.
I agree. That's really the only place it could have happened given that both wiper arms were effected to the same degree.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts