Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...is there a way to buff or polish wiper marks from a windshield? These are more like a scuff and not a scratch. Thanks for anything that worked for you! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I know when I wash my car I always run a 000 or 0000 grade steel wool across my windshield to cut through all the grime at the bottom and edges of the windshield where the wipers don't clean. It should take that off and it is fine enough that it won't affect the glass. You could also use a fine emory cloth as well.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know when I wash my car I always run a 000 or 0000 grade steel wool across my windshield to cut through all the grime at the bottom and edges of the windshield where the wipers don't clean. It should take that off and it is fine enough that it won't affect the glass. You could also use a fine emory cloth as well.
I think I remember using red emery cloth with water...like a jeweler's polishing cloth. I would try that! Frankly, I would be concerned with using steel wool! :unsure:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DANGER! DANGER! DANGER!

"Some guy on the internet told me it would be OK..."

Suggest you go to a local detailer and discuss both the problem and potential fixes with them. They KNOW.
...by local dealer, do you mean a windshield installer?

·
Registered
343 Posts
...by local dealer, do you mean a windshield installer?
DeTAILer, one who makes cars look like better than new. One area they address is clearing up all the glass so perfectly that it almost disappears. They'll tell you what to do and, more importantly, what NOT to do.

Look for a decent video on glass detailing by YouTube's Chris Fix, although pro detailers get much better results than Chris's method produces.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The difference is Chris Fix actually lays out the material and process and then DOES it to his own car right on camera, rather put forward a hazy recollection about red (or was it blue?) emery cloth...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Using 0000 steel wool is perfectly safe and very affective , been doing it for 30+ years. It actually cleans and polishes your windshield. You can check out any professional video on YouTube.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I suggested, for those who can read (and if that's a problem, the library could well do you some good), that a PROFESSIONAL be consulted. The OP's issue is NOT simply a matter of difficult-to-remove bug guts or pine tar; he has "scuffs" to remove which could be anything from a light hazing to deeper scratches that have been substantially abraded. You don't know what he's up against. A pro does and, on that basis alone, should be consulted. Thanks for your interest.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I suggested, for those who can read (and if that's a problem, the library could well do you some good), that a PROFESSIONAL be consulted. The OP's issue is NOT simply a matter of difficult-to-remove bug guts or pine tar; he has "scuffs" to remove which could be anything from a light hazing to deeper scratches that have been substantially abraded. You don't know what he's up against. A pro does and, on that basis alone, should be consulted. Thanks for your interest.
"light hazing", sounds good! Noticeable on the pass. side...not so much on the drivers. I asked one detailer in town and he doesn't do it...I remembered I know a guy who's worked for a glass company (and a windshield installer) for 40 years! I'm thinking he's the one to ask! :thumbsup:

Reactions: Richard Bicker
1 - 12 of 12 Posts