Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...after dealing with my dealership and their annoying crap i am at my end with this Hyundai. Heres my issue....

I went to buy some replacement rubber wiper inserts today as my car is almost a year old with 30k miles and they are worn out. The parts department idiot tells me its $45 for the drivers side $38 for the pass side $40 for the rear....my response was "are you f___ing serious" he tells me u cant get just the insert you need to buy the whole metal/rubber blade together...WHAT...i have never heard of such a thing....$130 for wipers???? With every other car i have EVER owned u just buy the $7 insert and your set. What is the deal with this crap? I called 2 other dealers and they told me the same though one offered to "special order" me the inserts for $40 for all 3 but i would have to drive there to pay them and then wait 3 days to go pick them up...problem is this dealer is 35miles away.

What has everyone else done when replacing the wipers?? Is there a place online that anyone knows about that sells just the inserts??

Unfortunately this is really putting another nail in the coffin for my GT as the new Mazda3 is looking better all the time :(

·
Registered
75 Posts
most auto part stores don't sell just the inserts anymore. I been at pepboys for 3 years now and I get asked this all the time and talking to my parts manger, he tells me its been a very long time since they stocked just the inserts. we can order them but again its you have to come pay and wait for them to come in. now for the price they are giving you is kinda high. we have the rainx lattitudes that is just rubber without the metal hinges, which are very nice since they form to the curve of the windshield, but they don't even hit the $40 mark, especially the rear. only way I can see the rear being so much is if its a special one that you can only get from the dealer, haven't looked at it myself, i'll check on it later when I got out to the garage.

·
Registered
654 Posts
$40 for the rear wiper assembly???? They are selling for an overpriced $21-$23 up here, and parts in Canada are usually more expensive than the US.

As for the fronts, I go to a local store (Canadian Tire) and get both of my fronts for just over $40, and I buy the fancy premium wipers. Wal-Mart would also carry something similar to them. I buy the Trico Force wipers, which are great and better than the Hyundai ones for winter too. No ice or snow can get caught in the arm of the wiper. Walmart sells similar types (but not the exact same brand).

So for me, going the expensive route, I pay about $70 for entire new assemblies, and I could easily shave off $10-$15 if I went with cheap fronts.

Take a peek at Wal-Mart (or some other US auto part shop) and I would be shocked if you could not buy a better wiper setup than what Hyundai offers. I actually found the stock wipers to be not as good as what I can buy myself, and I removed the wipers after a couple of days.

Your only issue might be the rear wiper. A quick google of the part number gave me this site that sells them for about $8:
98850-A5000 - Hyundai Parts - Hyundai BLADE ASSY-WIPER,RR

The part number is 98850-A5000 . Next time I need one I might check out eBay or a site similar to above.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I know the sedan guys have been using the 2007-current Honda Fit assemblies for this very reason(replacing just the inserts)as well as them being a higher quality wiper than stock.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
another scam of the automotive world. lets face it, if you live somewhere that you have winter you need new wiper blades every year. the assembly itself is fine, its the rubber blade. i HAVE bought inserts for about $5 but get this - can't find wipers that they will fit!

so i'm screwed into buying a new set every year. just like everyone else.

end of the day i'm not sure why anyone would go to the stealership for that. just go to whatever parts store is cheapest and pick you poison.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Have not bought inserts in years. I just go to walmart or meijer and get whole new wiper assembly every 6-12 months as needed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I appreciate it. I just went to walmart and bought the cheapest rainx blades and slipped the rubber out and right into my stock arms. I still dont understand why u just cant get the inserts as i find it a little silly to throw out perfectly good metal arms??? BTW if anyone wants to know the driver side length is a 28" and the passenger is a 14" i ordered the rear from that hyundai parts website mentioned earlier.

Just as an fyi im not crazy, honda and mazda (the only 2 brands I've owned until now) still sells inserts for all models....i checked at both dealers today and each insert is between $5-10 depending on model :)

·
Registered
893 Posts
The trend is away from inserts as they are finicky to install. But I'm surprised Hyundai doesn't sell them separately. The aftermarket mail-order places (like RockAuto) show lots of inserts available, so unless you're hung up on OEM, I don't see it as a big issue.

- Mark

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Sound like somebody milking for what the market will bear..

Message me Monday morning, I'll check what we have for pricing.. sound like I can maybe make a couple dollar myself and still sell cheaper than what market bear??

·
22,788 Posts
I'm a blade buyer...like I really have much of a choice, anymore. What's difficult is finding the more premium blades in a 13" length. Even the 14" is scarce. 28" is EVERYWHERE, but not so much for the other side.

Besides, when I bought the refills in days long past, I could almost guarantee cutting my finger either taking out the old ones or reinserting the new. I'm resolved to admitting to being a klutz on these things. But a new wiper blade? I can remove and install one in under 10 seconds, injury-free.

Confession is good for the soul, yes? LOL

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Without VIN to make MICROCAT ID the chassis, best I can do currently is $19.63 for the driver side blade, and $10.99 for the small passenger side blade,, unable to readily locate the rear without VIN.. MICROCAT does not offer the "GT" in the generic chassis loo-up.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just purchased my winter wiper blades for $10.84 for 4 (a set for the GT and SFS). Shipping is $18.98, total came to $29.85. About $7.46 per wiper blade.

They say it is Trico however since it was wholesaler closeout - private label I am not sure what to expect as it states"

Quote:
Parts labeled "Private Label Pkg" are similar to other parts, except they come in a plain package instead of one that includes branding. Private label packaging may have other company brands stamped on them as part of a wholesale closeout special.

It was shipped out of Texas so I expect it will be delivered for the end of the week and hopefully have them installed as winter is fast approaching up here in Alberta Canada.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2012 Elantra sedan and the original wipers size is 700 mm long for the driver side and the dealership in my area sells a rebranded 28" Valeo wiper blade which is close enough in size. However, as a number of people mentioned, the 2009 Honda Fit wiper blade is the same size as Hyundai's (700 mm) and you only need to buy the blade once; there after, you only need to buy the insert from Honda. Honda wiper Blade (700 mm), Part number 76620-TK6-A01, price is $24 online. You can get the corresponding wiper insert for less than $5, just tell them it is for 2009 Honda Fit.

Similarly, the original Hyundai passenger side wiper size is 350 mm, but 14 inch is close enough. The 2009 Honda Fit passenger side
wiper blade is 350 mm long and it fits Hyundai. The Honda part number is 76630-TF0-G02 and it sells for $17 online. Once you installed the Honda blade, you only need to replace the insert there after.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts