Hyundai Forums banner

Winter Tires

6K views 48 replies 24 participants last post by  mrblank 
#1 ·
I'm deciding on a set of winter tires.

I have previously used Good Year Nordic (Canadian Tire version) and they were superb.

Now that I have the Accent (skittle) i need a new set of winters?

Most shops sell 185/65/r14 and they say you should go one size down in winter.............. I dont know if I want too.

So what are you guys using? And how do you like them?

NEWB

#2 ·
QUOTE (TheNEWB @ Dec 10 2010, 11:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378521
I'm deciding on a set of winter tires.

I have previously used Good Year Nordic (Canadian Tire version) and they were superb.

Now that I have the Accent (skittle) i need a new set of winters?

Most shops sell 185/65/r14 and they say you should go one size down in winter.............. I dont know if I want too.

So what are you guys using? And how do you like them?

NEWB
On my car 01 Accent I run a set of Nokian I think RS1 their a crazy agressive snow tire. On the wifes 07 Accent I run Michelin X-Ice recycled from her 00 Accent. The michelins perform nearly as well as the Nokians I would probably save the money next time and stick with the Xices. The only reason I got the Nokians was they were one of the only vendors to make the size I needed (185/50/15) I needed them to clear the big brake kit on my accent. As for going narrow on snows absolutely go as narrow as you can and keeping the same circumference. If you look at all the rally cars at how narrow their tires are.... I used to have a set of super wide tires I put on the back of my mitsu for the winter so my backend would be extra squirrely in the winter. ;)

#4 ·
Right now I have Falken Eurowinter's but I do not like them.
When I ordered tires from my dealer I was going for the Nankang sv1's but they said they had the next up and would give them too me for the same price as the Nankang's.
In my brochure the next up was the Falken Espia EPZ's they're a fantastic tire that we have on our Sonata.
But when I took delivery of my '11 Accent I noticed they were not the tires I was expecting.
They put on the Falken Euro Winter's.
I find they give up to much snow traction in the name of bare pavement handling etc.
So, I complained and now they are switching me to studded Kumho Izen WIS's a fantastic looking aggressive tire (which I need where I live up north).
I didn't say much the day I picked my car up because I had to drive 4 hrs home, was near dusk and I thought I would wait till snow hit to see how the Euros were...
Don't recommend them for areas with alot of snow or slush.

Attachments

#10 ·
QUOTE (berserko @ Dec 10 2010, 02:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378568
On my car 01 Accent I run a set of Nokian I think RS1 their a crazy agressive snow tire. On the wifes 07 Accent I run Michelin X-Ice recycled from her 00 Accent. The michelins perform nearly as well as the Nokians I would probably save the money next time and stick with the Xices. The only reason I got the Nokians was they were one of the only vendors to make the size I needed (185/50/15) I needed them to clear the big brake kit on my accent. As for going narrow on snows absolutely go as narrow as you can and keeping the same circumference. If you look at all the rally cars at how narrow their tires are.... I used to have a set of super wide tires I put on the back of my mitsu for the winter so my backend would be extra squirrely in the winter. ;)
I'm not even sure where to get the Nokian's.

QUOTE (hyunnychub @ Dec 10 2010, 07:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378664
Right now I have Falken Eurowinter's but I do not like them.
When I ordered tires from my dealer I was going for the Nankang sv1's but they said they had the next up and would give them too me for the same price as the Nankang's.
In my brochure the next up was the Falken Espia EPZ's they're a fantastic tire that we have on our Sonata.
But when I took delivery of my '11 Accent I noticed they were not the tires I was expecting.
They put on the Falken Euro Winter's.
I find they give up to much snow traction in the name of bare pavement handling etc.
So, I complained and now they are switching me to studded Kumho Izen WIS's a fantastic looking aggressive tire (which I need where I live up north).
I didn't say much the day I picked my car up because I had to drive 4 hrs home, was near dusk and I thought I would wait till snow hit to see how the Euros were...
Don't recommend them for areas with alot of snow or slush.

I'v heard some negative feedback on the EuroWinters.

QUOTE (the_cr @ Dec 10 2010, 07:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378665
Another vote for the Micheline X-Ice 2's, very good tire, very confident driving.
How do the x-ice handle the deeper stuff. I have the Goodyear Winter Nordics and they love the deep snow. Never got stuck in those ever.

NEWB

#14 ·
By the way with snow tires you want to go as skinny and as tall as possible.

#16 ·
QUOTE (TheNEWB @ Dec 12 2010, 05:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379138
True but for some **** reason, most local places sell 185/65/14 instead of the 175/70/14 size. Like WTF?

NEWB
Price? If the 185 is more expensive, they'll try to sell more of them.

I ran Goodyear ultragrips on my 2 first cars and they were good, I recommend them if they are still produced. On my AWD passat I had Kelly snowtrakkers and they worked good too. Now I got the dealer's Federal Himalaya and they seem to work well. I've yet to try them in deep stuff though.

#19 ·
I have the Firestone Winterforce but I sort of think I should have gotten the General Altimax instead. The Firestones are probably the loudest snow tire I have used and I'v had many. The tread looks alot more aggressive than other snows and I mainly want them to be good in deeper snow so I'm hoping that noise just translates to better snow grip for the hills where I live. I'm not as concerned about the ice grip, and they are siped so they cant be that bad on ice.

#21 ·
#23 ·
QUOTE (isaac1909 @ Dec 10 2010, 09:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378679
Third season with these Firestone Winterforce's. They might be cooked by the end of the year if we don't get much snow. They're a size taller than the stock tires, which makes for a little better ground clearance.
I have these too. Non studded. They're great in snow, Ice only so-so, but I'd get them studded if I were that concerned. Our tap water taste like the Ocean with the amount of salt that gets put on the roads around here.

#24 ·
Well, cash another vote for my own tires again. Part of my commute is a highway and it's practically a blizzard outside today that got worse as the day went on. I took unplowed back roads this morning to avoid the traffic on that highway and did just fine and then they shut the highway down (without roadblocking it) by afternoon. Still, I was able to come home doing the speed limit the entire way safely and being 100% in control the entire way. I embarassed trucks and SUVs out there today. Get a real vehicle, posers! :D

#25 ·

Attachments

#26 ·
QUOTE (ultragod @ Dec 16 2010, 06:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380674
[attachment=21835:IMG_2010...6_175528.jpg]
Yeah, I'm totally blaming you! :rant2:

Anyone know how the stock 14" handles snow?
Snow? They're okay. Pure ice? Garbage. Take your time, don't drive faster than you feel comfortable, remember that releasing the gas is just as good a way to slow your car as using your brakes and in the times when you must brake and it's not going so well, pump them so you don't lock up your brakes. Finally when you are fighting for traction remember to pump the gas - do NOT floor it. That's a good way to lose control once you do regain traction and put an awful lot of stress on your engine. With these things in mind, you'll do well enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.