Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. I am thinking about snow in Northern Ohio already. I purchased the General Altimax Arctic for my wife's 2005 Elantra and they are working out great for the price. I mounted the snows on the original steel wheels and bought a set of alloys for the nice weather tires. Are there steel wheels available for my 2013 Elantra GLS? Should I just buy a cheap alloy wheel from Tirerack for about $90 apiece? I will probably purchase the Altimax Arctics unless someone here can steer me away from them.
Thanks for your time, Angelo.

·
22,788 Posts
Don't have your winter dilemma down here. But if I was there, I'd just get some cheap steel wheels with great winter tires and blend in with the rest of your friends in the frozen tundra. You can paint them prior to the install if that helps on the appearance. A couple rattle cans of spray should do the trick! :thumbsup:

Besides, why get nice alloys all screwed up with road salts, chemicals, and God knows what else? The money you save can be applied towards a better Christmas gift for the Mrs! Win-Win!

She may even let you unwrap her gift to you, earlier! :grin:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rich. When I went to Tirerack to get a winter wheel combo, they only had 15" steel wheels that they said would work for this winter setup. I currently have 16" wheels. If I chose alloys for a winter combo then 16" wheels would be available. Are the 15" wheels o.k. for me? You also mentioned maybe painting the steel wheels, any suggestions on colors? My Elantra is Atlantic Blue.
Thanks, Angelo.
p.s. These winter wheels are going to be on the car about 5 months out of the year

·
22,788 Posts
Going with 15" will throw off your speedo (car, not swimsuit ;) ). Here's a link: Palo Alto Speedometer: Speedometer Calculator 15" tires are usually less taxing on the budget and most often found on sale. Arguably, thinner tires cut thru snow better than wider ones. Not an expert on that subject...throwing it out to the members for their expert confirmation/rebuttal.

As far as steelies go, I'd check on Craig's List, local classifieds, or local salvage yards, first. Could save you some major $$$. There's always a set of nice used snow tires available in local neighborhoods. If you can find them. Ask around. Might get lucky and save a bit. And who doesn't like the Hip National Bank to be solvent?

Regarding paint color, that's not my forte. Silver is an option, as well as black. Ask a woman, black goes with anything. Especially when accessorized with silver lug nut jewelry ;) You could also pick a complementary blue color. If you're not sure, some members have Plasti-Dipped a wheel to form a better opinion. If you don't like it, peel it off. Even a cheapo priced set of hubcaps might do the trick. Or, maybe the cost of steel wheels, hubcaps, etc. you might be able to find a set of used alloys laying around off other brands that also bolt up to your ride. Trust me, lots of options, here. And you've got a little time before you HAVE to pull the trigger. You'll arrive at a decision that you, your wallet, and your ego can live with.

I'm starting to feel like the male version of Dear Abby! :laughing:

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
15" steel wheels are fine. Use 195-65-15 tires and the speedometer/odometer will be unchanged. That size was available in 2011 on the stick version, and they're making a comeback in 2014 - with 15" alloys being the standard wheel/tire combo again. They cost less than the 16s, too.

·
Banned
998 Posts
purchase the Altimax Arctics unless someone here can steer me away from them.
Nope, I would not since... I have them, too.
One thing you must do - rotate them every season.

They are great (I have 195/65x15 on HD Elantra).
Cheap and reliable. Not so great at highway speeds (some noise), but those are not high performance.

Just keep in mind - you can't break the physics law...

·
Registered
157 Posts
I see tirerack is forcing me to buy TPMS sensors. Necessary? If I buy them and get them installed, is there anything special I will need to do come spring when I change wheels to summer tires?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I see tirerack is forcing me to buy TPMS sensors. Necessary? If I buy them and get them installed, is there anything special I will need to do come spring when I change wheels to summer tires?
They've been doing that for over a year now. Not sure why, but they're either afraid of the liability of selling products that 'defeat' required safety systems (tpms without sensors) or they're looking to sell sensors that people otherwise don't need and don't want.

I know the Sonata platform (and related Kia model) doesn't care about which sensors are installed. The system finds the four new sensors and after about 10-12 miles, figures they must be the right ones for the car since it has been getting a steady signal from them for a while, and it just assumes they are the right ones. The light never comes on and the sensors work as expected. I don't know for sure if the Elantra platform does the same thing, but the hmaservice site suggests that it does.

One alternate is to order tires for a 2007 Elantra GLS. Same tires, same wheels (perfect bolt-on) but no TPMS.

If you go without TPMS, the system will start turning the idiot light on after the first 10-12 miles of driving. After that, the light will blink for 30 seconds each time you start the car and then stay on solid. When you swap back to the three-season OEM tires and drive 10-12 miles, the light will go out on its own and all will be well. I can say this with certainty because I have the Blizzaks on 15" steelies with no TPMS and this is exactly what happens. I just ignore the TPMS light, or use it as a reminder that I have special tires installed and so I need to remember to watch out for all the other cars on their "all" season tires that will be skidding into trees as I drive along the road.

·
Registered
157 Posts
ok. so I can just buy the tires and wheels then run them down to a local mechanic and have them balance and mount them? Then stop by walmart for black tape to put over the TPMS light lol

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
ok. so I can just buy the tires and wheels then run them down to a local mechanic and have them balance and mount them? Then stop by walmart for black tape to put over the TPMS light lol
If you try to buy rims from tirerack and you specify a car newer than 2008 (when TPMS was required), they still make you buy the sensors. If you select 2007 Elantra, you can buy the rims without the sensors. So you can buy the whole setup, mounted and balanced from them, or you can hit craigslist for a set of four compatible wheels. But be very careful when buying used rims, and not just because they can have undisclosed damage. You see too many ads that say, "fit most Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, Kia" and Honda/Toyota/Nissan rims have a center bore that is too small to fit Hyundai/Kia models. Buying the wrong rims and having the tires mounted ends up being an expensive mistake, costing more than just getting the sensors.

I went through this a year ago with my sister's Optima Hybrid. She decided that wanted the sensors anyway, so I got the wheel/tire package with the sensors. But I was prepared to order the kit for a 2007 Sonata if she decided against the $212 sensor setup.

·
Banned
998 Posts

Not exactly... I would hate the black tape.
What I did was to search for the part number - the right OEM sensor, and look on eBay...

Hyundai Kia Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors New Set Of4 | eBay

This one works for both my cars - Rondo and Elantra, BUT I can't say about MD Elantra. 40 USD for set of OEM sensors?? Could not be better.

Get a set (those are used) and put them on your wheels.

DiscountTire reprogrammed them in 3 minutes with no charge.
They said they can reprogram them every time I change wheels.

Dealer asked... 90 USD per visit.
I acknowledged... and left.

EDIT:
I think those would fit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Hyundai-Kia-TPMS-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System-Sensor-52933-2M000-/200965374502?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eca784226&vxp=mtr

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hyundai-Kia-52933-2M000-TPMS-4-Tire-Pressure-Sensor-Monitors-KR5S180052015B-/331023300313?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d1286b6d9&vxp=mtr

Make sure this is the right model: 52933-2M000

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the excellent and helpful information from all! Nobody suggested just getting alloys instead of steelies., even though I will be looking at these wheels almost half the year. Any thoughts, reasoning, besides cost?
Thanks again to all, Angelo.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I prefer steel wheels for winter tire use - if they hit a curb or late winter pothole, they bend rather than crack. They're also 30-50% lower in cost and their black paint seems to last longer than the clearcoat on low cost alloys, so corrosion is less of a problem - especially against the tire bead where pitting aluminum can lead to slow leaks.

I have the plastic hubcaps to snap on my steel wheels, but last year I just ran it without the hubcaps and it looks like a miniature Korean unmarked car. The odd naked-steelies look is also a conversation starter, allowing me to extol the virtues of dedicated winter rubber.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Dear Rich/Male Abby:

Our son was married in January. Five months later his wife had a 8 1/2-pound baby girl. They said the baby was premature. Tell me, can a baby this big be that early?
Wondering

Dear Wondering: The baby was on time, the wedding was late. (Quoted from an actual Dear Abby Letter)

Can you beat that okie Rich?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dmlexpert said " One alternate is to order tires for a 2007 Elantra GLS. Same tires, same wheels (perfect bolt-on) but no TPMS."

I like this option. Are you very confident this setup will work on my 2013 Elantra GLS?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Jeez, I thought I was boring. :laughing:
If they look like they're zoning out, I just switch to a more exciting topic, like meteorology or tax regulations or calculus. The challenge is maintaining a flawless monotone and finding ways to breathe while speaking in one continuous 18 minute run-on sentence. :eek:
dmlexpert said " One alternate is to order tires for a 2007 Elantra GLS. Same tires, same wheels (perfect bolt-on) but no TPMS."

I like this option. Are you very confident this setup will work on my 2013 Elantra GLS?
Yes, but it needs to be 2007. The 2006 and older used a 4x114.3 pattern, and specifying 2008 or newer will force TPMS. The correct wheel rim for the 2011+ Elantra has a 5x114.3 bolt pattern, 67.1mm center bore, and an offset somewhere in the 35-55mm range. Exact offset doesn't matter with 195mm wide tires as long as it's within that range.

·
Banned
65 Posts
If you try to buy rims from tirerack and you specify a car newer than 2008 (when TPMS was required), they still make you buy the sensors. If you select 2007 Elantra, you can buy the rims without the sensors. So you can buy the whole setup, mounted and balanced from them, or you can hit craigslist for a set of four compatible wheels. But be very careful when buying used rims, and not just because they can have undisclosed damage. You see too many ads that say, "fit most Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, Kia" and Honda/Toyota/Nissan rims have a center bore that is too small to fit Hyundai/Kia models. Buying the wrong rims and having the tires mounted ends up being an expensive mistake, costing more than just getting the sensors.

I went through this a year ago with my sister's Optima Hybrid. She decided that wanted the sensors anyway, so I got the wheel/tire package with the sensors. But I was prepared to order the kit for a 2007 Sonata if she decided against the $212 sensor setup.

I just ordered a set of rims and tire pakage from tire rack on Saterday for my '12 santa fe and I didnt purchase the TPMS and the order went through, I'm curiouse if it will get shipped. I didnt get the TPMS because of the ongoing issue I have had since new is my low tire light is always flashing or on solid almost all the time, I had it to the dealer a few times and they said its picking up outside signals from powerlines and cell towers and couldnt do anything to fix it so I didnt think it was worth $300 for something that dosent work anyway.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I just ordered a set of rims and tire pakage from tire rack on Saterday for my '12 santa fe and I didnt purchase the TPMS and the order went through, I'm curiouse if it will get shipped. I didnt get the TPMS because of the ongoing issue I have had since new is my low tire light is always flashing or on solid almost all the time, I had it to the dealer a few times and they said its picking up outside signals from powerlines and cell towers and couldnt do anything to fix it so I didnt think it was worth $300 for something that dosent work anyway.
Interesting! I just ran my car through the order screen and it let me choose to "reuse my sensors or buy them elsewhere". I wonder if they decided against forcing TPMS on people under the guise of interpreting DOT gibberish when they realized how many sales they were losing to tire companies who are just as happy to sell a wheel/tire package without the few hundred extra in profit. To show my support, I will again recommend them to anyone who owns a car less than five years old who wants to Slap On Da Blizzies.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts