Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I have a 2021 Elantra Preferred (Canada) tire sizes of 205/55R16. I understand that downsizing the wheels from 16" to 15" is not a problem at all. But the problem is that I have my old winter tires that are 185/65R15 on steel wheels. Is it ok to use them for the winter? I know that 195/65R15 is ok, but 185 is gonna cause my car any kind of trouble?

Sorry, I know it's a topic already discussed a lot, but just can't get any info about this specific issue (185).

Thanks a lot.
Take care

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Need to check load rating
Tire is shorter too.... not something you want for snow clearance

Recycle and get proper size tires

Reactions: Red Raspberry

·
Registered
11 Posts
I searched EVERYWHERE for 15in steel rims to fit my '21 Elantra and none of them were compatible. Had to get them from Hyundai in the end. So make sure your rims fit before you worry about tire size.

·
Registered
2021 Elantra Ultimate Tech
245 Posts
Hi there. I have a 2021 Elantra Preferred (Canada) tire sizes of 205/55R16. I understand that downsizing the wheels from 16" to 15" is not a problem at all. But the problem is that I have my old winter tires that are 185/65R15 on steel wheels. Is it ok to use them for the winter? I know that 195/65R15 is ok, but 185 is gonna cause my car any kind of trouble?

Sorry, I know it's a topic already discussed a lot, but just can't get any info about this specific issue (185).

Thanks a lot.
Take care
My Ultimate factory's are 225/45 R17. Hyundai doesn't recommend these in a winter tire because they are a low profile type. They recommend dropping to the 205/55 R16, which has the higher sidewall for snow. In your case, the 195/65 R15 is the "Essential" trim tire. It should be fine for a snow tire, assuming the wheel is the right configuration. I wouldn't do this at all without checking first with a reputable tire shop or Hyundai. You don't want to invalidate your warranty.

·
Registered
60 Posts
15" should fit because our brakes are same for all trims. Load/speed rating is same for 15&16, 91H, also a very common and easy to find size.

Diameter is 1.6% bigger on yours but it's minor. Just know that speed will read slower than actual and maybe drop 2-3km/h if you are in places like Edmonton (dragoncam, strict limits). Also is it 5 bolt, 114.3mm pattern? Some econo cars are 4 bolts.

@JH219, I'm curious if shops will force you to buy 94W tires because that's what it came with. With my previous car, I had hard time buying winter in smaller size because shops wouldn't sell me lower rating than what it came with, and it was a "performance sedan" so everything was dumb and expensive. 16" winter in my rating didn't exist.

·
Registered
2021 Elantra Ultimate Tech
245 Posts
15" should fit because our brakes are same for all trims. Load/speed rating is same for 15&16, 91H, also a very common and easy to find size.

Diameter is 1.6% bigger on yours but it's minor. Just know that speed will read slower than actual and maybe drop 2-3km/h if you are in places like Edmonton (dragoncam, strict limits). Also is it 5 bolt, 114.3mm pattern? Some econo cars are 4 bolts.

@JH219, I'm curious if shops will force you to buy 94W tires because that's what it came with. With my previous car, I had hard time buying winter in smaller size because shops wouldn't sell me lower rating than what it came with, and it was a "performance sedan" so everything was dumb and expensive. 16" winter in my rating didn't exist.
This is a bit different because four wheel and tire sizes are compatible with these cars (including the 18" N Line). Shouldn't be any issues if sticking with one of those. I hadn't thought of a difference in calibration for speed, I think I just assumed with everything being digital now that the computer would compensate. Something I'll ask my dealer when getting my own done.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This car has too many trims to talk all-inclusively. N/N-line/Hybrid has different suspension/brake as expected. N has additional weld to brace for extra strength in wheelwell and such. I assume 90% of us are here as SE/SEL/Limited owners so unless someone indicates it's N/N-Line/Hybrid I'd assume it's the normal ones.

My previous vehicle had 93W 17" from factory and 93W in 16" or under didn't exist when I tried to downsize to save $. Twice over the ownership of that car, I had nail that couldn't be repaired - too close to outer edge - so I didnt' even get full life out of them and had to replace all at once for variety of reasons. This was with Costco warranty and there are many exceptions you don't get coverage for, or coverage that doesn't really help you in saving money. My next tire will be store brand noname once factory equipped one wears out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.