Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for winter tires for my wife's new 2011 Sonata here in Toronto. It's a top of the line with NAV, don't know the wheel size that comes standard with it.

Anyone have any recommendations about:

1. Any recommendations on good tires, mostly city driving in Toronto?

2. Where to go to buy them, Hyundai dealer or otherwise

3. Do I really need separate rims.

Thanks

Harry

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought four Blizzak tires (WS-70) 215/60/16 at Costco, very good price and very good tires. I got them installed on my 16" rims that I kept from my Toyota Matrix XR 2009

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bought General Acumax Arctic winter tires 215/60R16 (same as Gislaved NordFrost 3) and 16" rims from TireRack. The 17" OEM wheels and Kumho Solus KH25 all-season tires 215/55R17 are being stored until Spring. No TPMS in the winter shoes either. I'll put up with the warning light rather than pay $380 for the extra set of monitors.

·
Registered
90 Posts
QUOTE (ssmuff @ Oct 21 2010, 09:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365151
Nice set, are you running all 4 the same or just the front wheels?

Complete set of four.

As for steel rims, their pricing has skyrocketed to the point where a set of alloy wheels may only be $20 or so more each. Where salt is not an issue, like my neck of the woods, alloys become an attractive winter wheel choice.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I will be putting some Yokohama IG20's on mine for the winter, on all 4 tires. I live east of you where there is more snow than the GTA. I have put Blizzaks on in the past and they were spectacular, but my Sonata is a second car and if its snowing that hard, I'll stay off the roads, plus the Yoko's were WAY cheaper...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
QUOTE (Bald1 @ Oct 20 2010, 10:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365039
I bought General Acumax Arctic winter tires 215/60R16 (same as Gislaved NordFrost 3) and 16" rims from TireRack. The 17" OEM wheels and Kumho Solus KH25 all-season tires 215/55R17 are being stored until Spring. No TPMS in the winter shoes either. I'll put up with the warning light rather than pay $380 for the extra set of monitors.

the Generals (made by Continental in Germany) get my vote as well!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Got the General's mounted on my stock wheel waiting for the weather to get worst enough to put them on. Probably another 2 weeks or so. Forcast here is still preditcting mid teens to low 20s for the next week or so.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
We got our first dump of snow today and the Sonata on the Artic Altimax (17") did very well. Traction control kicked in a whole bunch of times to help out too. I purposely went on this hill that had a stop sign at the top. There was a Camry at the top of the hill infront of me and he was spinning and heading sideways but made his way to the top after a minute or so of trying. Sonata got over the top from a dead stop with no issues, TC didn't even kick in this time.

Only major complaint is on dry roads these tires slide a bit so you have to cut back on how aggressive you corner. But expectant for winter tires.

Overall very happy with the purchase especially at $140 Canadian a tire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went with a set of Hercules Avalanche X-treme tires mounted on 16" Alloy wheels. I was just going to go with steel wheels, but I was offered a good price to upgrade to alloys, so I went that route instead. If you're in the GTA, I would check out Simply Tire. They are very active and well reviewed on many local car forums, plus they are very competitive price wise.

Check out their website: www.simplytire.com

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've been using winter tires (mostly Blizzaks - on all 4 corners) for about 15 or 20 years years and have always used the OE size tires on OE wheels. I know the experts recommend downsizing to smaller rims and tires but I've never had an issue with the stock sizes and always had great traction and control. I'm sure the smaller sizes may give max results but I'm not sure I would have noticed much difference. I've never had a problem with damaged tires or rims when switching tires back and forth for the winter season, even alloys and chrome wheels.
I bought my SE last February between 2 heavy snowfalls but I didn't drive it until the roads were plowed and had minimum snow cover (lots of bare road showing). The performance tires were new and performed fairly well but I really took it easy. I'm not sure I'll buy winter tires because it looks like if we have any kind of snowfall I'd just be pushing snow with that low front end. I'll just use my wife's Subie with Blizzaks. :thumbsup:

Don

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
QUOTE (Luxury_Tax @ Nov 17 2010, 10:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372449
I went with a set of Hercules Avalanche X-treme tires mounted on 16" Alloy wheels. I was just going to go with steel wheels, but I was offered a good price to upgrade to alloys, so I went that route instead. If you're in the GTA, I would check out Simply Tire. They are very active and well reviewed on many local car forums, plus they are very competitive price wise.

Check out their website: www.simplytire.com
just be aware that alloys corrode like **** in salt. keep em clean, both sides!

·
Registered
17 Posts
This will be my first winter with the Sonata and I am starting to look at winter tires. I have used winter tires for the last 10 seasons on my previous cars, including sets of Nokian's, Gislaved's, Toyo's.

This season I am considering cheaping-out and running on the stock all seasons. I am wondering how the stock Kumho KH25 have performed in the winter, is it half decent or totally brutal.

Any feedback from those of you running these through the winter?

I am also in the Greater Toronto Area, commuting up and down highway 400.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
This will be my first winter with the Sonata and I am starting to look at winter tires. I have used winter tires for the last 10 seasons on my previous cars, including sets of Nokian's, Gislaved's, Toyo's.

This season I am considering cheaping-out and running on the stock all seasons. I am wondering how the stock Kumho KH25 have performed in the winter, is it half decent or totally brutal.

Any feedback from those of you running these through the winter?

I am also in the Greater Toronto Area, commuting up and down highway 400.
I didn't like mine in slush, but luckily never took them in real snow. I don't recall hearing many nice things being said about the Kumho's in snow. I do recall one forum poster suggested something like the Sonata was the worst handling car in snow ever. Obviously he wasn't happy with them. A lot of people seemed to go with 16" wheels with snow tires. Those KH25's I had did do a good job in heavy rain, that I can vouch for.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Factory tires will be OK in snow, but just don't expect alot from them. They are made to be "OK" in all conditions, not "good" in snow. If thats ok with you, then run them and see how they do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live north of GTA and used my OEM tires during last winter with only 5K on the car. And honestly, I lost my balls several times especially when braking on downhill. But this time, I will definitely install winter tires.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I will definitely go with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R

Had them on my Mazda MPV for 5 years and they are still good for another year.

P.S. they are not cheap but they really worth the price

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Quuestion for all you tire guru's out there....
if i can get to them first...i have an opportunity to purchase some Michelin X-ice 235/60-16 tires mounted on rims already for a great price. however....after researching the wheels a litte closer...there is a 10mm difference in off-set. one wheel that is recommended also shows a 'backspacing' measurement, where as the other ones (the ones i might be buying) don't show that measurement. the tire itself is 30 mm wider than the recommended tire as well. btw, the tire/wheel combo was purchased for a 2010 hyundai tucson.

details:
wheel that has the tire (one i may buy):
· Size: 16X7.5
· Offset: 38mm
· Backspacing: "
· Bolt Pattern: 5-114
· Rec. Tire Size: 235/60-16
· Weight: 19.8lbs.
· Finish: Silver Painted
· Construction: 1pc. Cast

recommended wheel from tire rack:
· Size: 16x7.5
· Offset: 48mm
· Backspacing: 6.18"
· Rec. Tire Size: 205/65-16
· Weight: 20.2lbs.
Construction: 1pc. Cast

would i be ok to buy these for the winter? with the price he is asking...the sooner the better!

thanks in advance for any and all help/recommendations

·
Registered
227 Posts
Quuestion for all you tire guru's out there....
if i can get to them first...i have an opportunity to purchase some Michelin X-ice 235/60-16 tires mounted on rims already for a great price. however....after researching the wheels a litte closer...there is a 10mm difference in off-set. one wheel that is recommended also shows a 'backspacing' measurement, where as the other ones (the ones i might be buying) don't show that measurement. the tire itself is 30 mm wider than the recommended tire as well. btw, the tire/wheel combo was purchased for a 2010 hyundai tucson.

details:
wheel that has the tire (one i may buy):
· Size: 16X7.5
· Offset: 38mm
· Backspacing: "
· Rec. Tire Size: 235/60-16
· Weight: 19.8lbs.
· Construction: 1pc. Cast

recommended wheel from tire rack:
· Size: 16x7.5
· Offset: 48mm
· Backspacing: 6.18"
· Rec. Tire Size: 205/65-16
· Weight: 20.2lbs.
Construction: 1pc. Cast

would i be ok to buy these for the winter? with the price he is asking...the sooner the better!

thanks in advance for any and all help/recommendations
You will be fine, should be a nice flush fit with the side of the car. The wider stance will look better than your stock setup.

Wheel Offset Calculator

1 - 20 of 25 Posts