Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first season with my 2010 SF and I'm starting to look into winter tires. The 2010 has 18" wheels and my old 2002 SF had 16" wheels. The tires from the old Santa Fe are in excellent shape and I still have them. Is it feasible to buy 16" rims for my 2010 and use the old winter tires? I have heard it could affect my speedometer/odometer.

The other option is to buy a set of 18" winter tires and use the current rims. I've heard excellent things about the Bridgestone DMZ3's....

Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (torontonian @ Oct 19 2010, 08:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364486
This will be my first season with my 2010 SF and I'm starting to look into winter tires. The 2010 has 18" wheels and my old 2002 SF had 16" wheels. The tires from the old Santa Fe are in excellent shape and I still have them. Is it feasible to buy 16" rims for my 2010 and use the old winter tires? I have heard it could affect my speedometer/odometer.

The other option is to buy a set of 18" winter tires and use the current rims. I've heard excellent things about the Bridgestone DMZ3's....

Thoughts?

Thanks!
No reason you can't run 16s on your 2010 as long as the tires are right. What size are they? Never ran a pre-2007 Santa Fe, so don't know what the earlier ones used.

A couple of sizes would match up close enough for your odometer, but 235/70-16 is one of the best matches for your 235/60-18s.

·
Registered
624 Posts
According to what I can find the stock tires from the 2002 were 225/70/16, which makes them about 2" smaller in diameter than the stock 18s. Here's a good calculator that shows you the difference in size and how much your speedo will be off etc:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

So assuming you can live with the difference I don't see a problem. When looking for rims pay attention to the bolt pattern, offset etc so you make sure they won't rub anything.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (peachferrari @ Oct 20 2010, 10:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364867
According to what I can find the stock tires from the 2002 were 225/70/16, which makes them about 2" smaller in diameter than the stock 18s.
Yikes! Good thing that's not true! They're actually about 0.7" smaller in diameter. That calculator is useful. Results = 60mph odo, 58.6mph actual. You'll be changing oil about 2.4% more often than you need to :p Looks to me like not a bad solution to saving some money given that you've already got the others in hand.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (canderson @ Oct 20 2010, 10:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365037
Yikes! Good thing that's not true! They're actually about 0.7" smaller in diameter. That calculator is useful. Results = 60mph odo, 58.6mph actual. You'll be changing oil about 2.4% more often than you need to :p Looks to me like not a bad solution to saving some money given that you've already got the others in hand.
Just thought I'd let everyone know what I ended up doing....

On Thursday I had a set of Blizzak DMV1's installed on the OEM 18" Hyundai wheels. I didn't really want to use the old 16" tires and I heard that the DMV1's are excellent.

We haven't had any snow yet, but they are even quiter than the summer tires and the treads are very deep. Can't wait for a good storm!

·
Registered
65 Posts
You will love the Blizzaks. I run them on all three of our vehicles, 08 Santa Fe AWD, 05 Volvo S40 AWD, 01 Chevrolet Silverado. I got 5 seasons (Oct-Apr) out of the Blizzak Revo's on the Volvo before the tires wore to the first wear bar (55% tread).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just purchased a 2010 Sante Fe Limited, which came with 18s. I contacted my dealer and they said it was quite acceptable to downsize to the 16s tires for the winter. The model they suggest was: P235 / 70 / R16. I picked up 4 new black steel rims from Costco and 4 new Bridgestone Blizzak tires, installed balanced, for about $920.00CDN taxes in. I've had the Michelin X-Ice tires on my previous car and didn't really like them. Not a fan of studs because they are too noisy.

I live in Newfoundland and tires here are really hard to get, had to special order them!

Daniel

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bought a set of Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow tires with steel rims today for my 2010 SF limited. The tires are 235/70/16 and I paid $1070 all in. So far, handling has been very good on dark ice and snow. I have to wait until This weekend to test them on slush.

·
Registered
65 Posts
QUOTE (dgreenland @ Nov 12 2010, 03:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371182
I just purchased a 2010 Sante Fe Limited, which came with 18s. I contacted my dealer and they said it was quite acceptable to downsize to the 16s tires for the winter. The model they suggest was: P235 / 70 / R16. I picked up 4 new black steel rims from Costco and 4 new Bridgestone Blizzak tires, installed balanced, for about $920.00CDN taxes in. I've had the Michelin X-Ice tires on my previous car and didn't really like them. Not a fan of studs because they are too noisy.

I live in Newfoundland and tires here are really hard to get, had to special order them!

Daniel
I'd be interested in hearing about your Costco experience. I was going to get mine from therm, but my experience was not good, so I changed my mind. There is a thread here that mentions that you should get the hubcentric instead of the lugcentric/multi-fit rims (and even included the model numbers). It said that with the lugcentric you can end up with vibration.

I waited in the Costco tire line (1/2 hour) to see what they had for tires and rims. I told the guy that I wanted the hubcentric rims and gave him the number. He said there were none in stock but that he could order them. They had Xice Xi2 tires in stock. He said the rims would be in the next Friday and they would call me that day to make an appointment.
Friday came and went, no call. I dropped in on Tues to see if there was a delay in the order. Waited in the line again (1/2 hour or so). Told the guy (same guy) that I was waiting for an order. When I told him it was for rims, both he and the other guy at the counter said 'we don't order rims'. I said you ordered them for me. They reiterated, they only get the one type of rim blindshipped and they don't order anything else. One of them said, maybe they ordered the hub adapter ring (which he hadn't as he gave me prices on both types of rims). They could not find any kind of order for me in the system.
The 'tech' said that the rims they had would be fine, if there were issues, a ring could be added later. I decided to go ahead with them and they booked me an appt for lunch the next day.
I then asked if they could order the rings, to be safe. He said they don't order those either (huh, didn't they just say that might have been what was ordered?)
The 'tech' then asked me that I was planning to use for nuts. I asked for a recommendation. He said that the nuts from the alloys might cause the vibration, but if I used steel nuts, it would be fine. I said, okay lets use those. Turns out they don't sell or order those either. I would have to get them somewhere else.

Later in the day, started thinking about the fact they were going to take my appointment, use the multi-fit rims and my nuts from the alloy, knowing that it was not the best solution and would not have told me otherwise if I had not known and asked. Decided I was not comfortable with them doing this job and ditched the appointment. Got quotes from some local shops and online. Decided to go with tirerack.com.

Found out today that a coworkers husband used them for his winters on his Torrent. He ended up with a vibration/shaking issue. When he went back in, they wouldn't look at it right away, but would book an appointment for 2 weeks later.

QUOTE (MyTucson @ Nov 23 2010, 01:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374024
Bought a set of Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow tires with steel rims today for my 2010 SF limited. The tires are 235/70/16 and I paid $1070 all in. So far, handling has been very good on dark ice and snow. I have to wait until This weekend to test them on slush.
I ended up buying Pirellis and winter alloy rims from Tirerack.com (same size as yours). Delivery was expected Dec 3 -6 and they arrived today. Hope to put them on soon.

Tirerack seemed to know their stuff - included the hub ring, new lug nuts, lug nut adapter, mounted an balanced on the rims, no extra charge. Prices on tires and rims much lower than anything, although shipping almost brought it up even with local prices (although those were without the rings, nuts, etc). They didn't have steel rims.

Was pleased they arrived early. Will let you know how install and performance goes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
QUOTE (skram68 @ Dec 2 2010, 10:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376377
Was pleased they arrived early. Will let you know how install and performance goes.
You will love them. I drove with them on ice, snow and slush and didn't have any issues. The braking was a bit soft on slush which is normal. I'm curious to see how fast they will wear out. The Standard lifetime for the tire is 70,000 Km but I guess it all depends on the driving conditions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did the 16" steel wheel coupled with studless Dunlops, so the first time in about 15 years. Much improved traction, mild increase in road noise, fuel is not a lot worse, but I have a remote car starter, so it is hard to estimate in winter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
QUOTE (MyTucson @ Dec 4 2010, 01:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376843
You will love them. I drove with them on ice, snow and slush and didn't have any issues. The braking was a bit soft on slush which is normal. I'm curious to see how fast they will wear out. The Standard lifetime for the tire is 70,000 Km but I guess it all depends on the driving conditions.
Finally gt them installed last week. Weather has been mild, so have not tired them out in ice, snow or slush yet.

I don't notice any kind of increase in the road noise over the oem Kumho tires.

I like the looks of the alloy rims from tirerack (F2 Sport) over the steelies. Had some good comments from others as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts