Hyundai Forums banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
22 Tucson Ultimate (Limited) Hybrid, Crimson Red
25 Posts
They look great. Where did you end up getting the wheels? Canadian Tire? Which rims are they?

And also, even though snow tires, how do the Michelin's ride? Comfort, road noise?

And from looking from what I can see, are the tires uni-directional?
Thanks. Yup got them at Canadian Tire. It's a Canadian retail company which operates in the automotive, hardware, sports, leisure and housewares sectors. Here's a Direct link to the rims.

I haven't driven it on a highway yet. But from the limited city driving, I would say that they are quite comfortable and the road noise is quite respectable for being a winter tire.

Yes they are unidirectional. I find that a lot of winter tires are now unidirectional. At least the ones that I was interested in i.e. Goodyear winter command, Continental Viking Contact 7, Nokian R3 and the Michelin X-Ice Snow. Went with the Michelin's based on performance reviews, it's 6 year/40000 miles warranty and availability.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson HEV Ultimate, White/Grey
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
So, just had my winter tires installed (Blizzak DM-V2 235/55R19) and noticed 2 things:
  1. The gas mileage has dropped considerably ... from an average of about 7.2 litres/100km (32.7 mpg for my USA friends) to 8.4 litres/100km (28 mpg). In case there was ever a doubt that winter tires are "stickier", this confirms it!
  2. Whereas the speedometer with OEM tires has always agreed with the GPS speed (say, from any navigation app), it is now reading slightly higher - speedometer reading 100 km/h flips between 98 or 99 km/h as reported by GPS, confirming the newly installed tires have a slightly smaller circumference (despite being rated to be the EXACT same size). This surprises me because the specs showed only about 1 rev/km difference from the OEM ones, yet this amounts to (conservatively) a 1% difference, or 5 revs/km. So much for accurate specs, I guess.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hopefully these TPMS is better built today than 10 years ago. My Mazda had two failures while on highway. Lost all pressure in matter of seconds. Lucky both time pulled over with no incident. My tire guy say they rusted and broke apart. I live in canada so we have them winters. It was around the 5 & 7th year of the car that they broke. Summer tire TPMS had no issues. So anyone that live in the winter season area. Have your TPMS look at around the 5 year mark. Check for problems. Because the dealerships and mechanics dont.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks @collindabin Those wheels look great!

I actually got everything installed today at the dealer, I stayed on 19".
The rims are Euro Design, Tech - 19 x 8.5 Offset 40:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Hubcap

The dealer only sent me a screenshot but I figured he went on this website:
I paid CAD 245 x 4 (+ Tax).
The screen shot above is taken by me from the website, after I entered the car's details.

I was able to look at the original rims, now that they are not on the car anymore, they are 19 X 7.5 Offset 51, here's a picture:
Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Vehicle

For tires, I got Michelin X-Ice Snow 235/55R19, these were CAD 295 x 4 (+ tax). There's some mail in rebate but it's not much.
For the TPMS I paid 140 + tax. I don't see the pressure displayed yet, hope it'll get sorted out on its own.

I'll post a picture tomorrow - with the new wheels on the car.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Luxury Plug-In
15 Posts
I have a Tucson PHEV and looking to get rims along with winter tires, will a 17x7.0 5x114 rim work for the Tucson? Sorry I don't know a lot and just trying to figure it out...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
This is how they look on the car:
VERY nice looking wheels!

I opted for 19x7.5 steel wheels which I bought on a Labour Day special for $543 tax-in (free shipping), but now seeing your 19x8.5 alloys looking so nice, I'm wondering if I should have spent the extra $500-600?! Definitely better looking and no doubt, slightly better handling with the wider wheel.

For tires, I went with 235/55R19 Blizzak DM-V2 which I got from Costco, also a Labour Day special $1012.40 all-in for 4 (mount, balance, install, tire levy, tax, etc).

No regrets on buying the OEM TPMS valves though ... the car self-detected, so completely fuss-free (a bit more than you paid at $167.23 tax-in for the set of 4 from my local Ottawa dealer).

Total Cost $1,722.63 CAD for an all-new 19" winter solution isn't too bad, I figured.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson hybrid limited
185 Posts
Got my winter boots this past Monday. Went with Michelin X-Ice Snow 235/65/17 and opted for the cheapest black alloy's. Didn't want stealies as my stealies from my previous car had lots of rust. Didn't want a repeat. Rims were a direct fit and didn't require any spacers or new lug nuts. I bought my TPMS sensors from hyundai directly for 147.95 + tax. Can confirm what another poster said in this thread that it is self learning. And to add to that it is plug and play. The Canadian Tire Tech was getting an error code when he tried to program it. I told em to just install the TPMS and I would go to the dealer to get it programmed. Low and behold after driving for about 10km's all the tpms values showed up.

So PSA: if you decide to go for the OEM TPMS from Hyundai (part # Q5H40-AK000) it does not need to be programmed. Make sure you ask the tire shop to not charge you for programming. Canadian Tire charged me 60 + tax. I had to return to get a refund. From my experience, I say opt to get the OEM TPMS and save yourself the headache. YMMV. Cheers.

Edit: Make sure your all season's are not in your Tucson when you are trying to "teach" the new OEM TPMS. It won't "learn" since the old one's are still near by.

View attachment 463479

View attachment 463480
i been reading your post here. so could you answer my question. if i get new winter tires and wheels and oem tpms sensors that it will program buy it self? also when i go back to my summer set up and put them on that the sensors will program them self.? thanks have a great day.

·
Registered
22 Tucson Ultimate (Limited) Hybrid, Crimson Red
25 Posts
if i get new winter tires and wheels and oem tpms sensors that it will program buy it self? also when i go back to my summer set up and put them on that the sensors will program them self.?
Yes, that's correct. Just make sure to drop off your other set at home or storage. So when I bought my winter's with rims, I had my all season's (summer's with rims) in my trunk. I took a longer route from the tire shop to get home so that I could "teach" the new tpms. But the tpms values didn't show up in the dash and I must have driven for about 30 minutes. Then I dropped off my all season's at home and went for another drive and this time the tpms values showed up in the dash after driving for about 6 miles. So as long as your batteries in the tpms are good and you've dropped off your other set at home or storage you should have no problems with 2 sets of tpms'.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson hybrid limited
185 Posts
Yes, that's correct. Just make sure to drop off your other set at home or storage. So when I bought my winter's with rims, I had my all season's (summer's with rims) in my trunk. I took a longer route from the tire shop to get home so that I could "teach" the new tpms. But the tpms values didn't show up in the dash and I must have driven for about 30 minutes. Then I dropped off my all season's at home and went for another drive and this time the tpms values showed up in the dash after driving for about 6 miles. So as long as your batteries in the tpms are good and you've dropped off your other set at home or storage you should have no problems with 2 sets of tpms'.
thanks. have a great day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
VERY nice looking wheels!

I opted for 19x7.5 steel wheels which I bought on a Labour Day special for $543 tax-in (free shipping), but now seeing your 19x8.5 alloys looking so nice, I'm wondering if I should have spent the extra $500-600?! Definitely better looking and no doubt, slightly better handling with the wider wheel.

For tires, I went with 235/55R19 Blizzak DM-V2 which I got from Costco, also a Labour Day special $1012.40 all-in for 4 (mount, balance, install, tire levy, tax, etc).

No regrets on buying the OEM TPMS valves though ... the car self-detected, so completely fuss-free (a bit more than you paid at $167.23 tax-in for the set of 4 from my local Ottawa dealer).

Total Cost $1,722.63 CAD for an all-new 19" winter solution isn't too bad, I figured.
Thanks. I know I spent a bit more than I should probably have, but they look good. The handling is a bit better too, I feel. The fuel consumption in the city is now 8.4 l/100km, same as what you observed. But it's all good.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks. I know I spent a bit more than I should probably have, but they look good. The handling is a bit better too, I feel. The fuel consumption in the city is now 8.4 l/100km, same as what you observed. But it's all good.
Looks great, I ended up replacing tires with all weathers, firestones weather grip's, cost me $650+existing tires (only 1500 km on them), I had experienced firestone weather grip's before on my outback in northern Ontario in winter months and was satisfied with the performance.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Looks great, I ended up replacing tires with all weathers, firestones weather grip's, cost me $650+existing tires (only 1500 km on them), I had experienced firestone weather grip's before on my outback in northern Ontario in winter months and was satisfied with the performance.
FYI, just saw this on driving.ca

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
If 235/55R19s aren't available, would you go with 235/60R18 or 235/65R17?
If availability is at issue, I would always go with the larger size in order to preserve the car’s handling characteristics.

In general, the most compelling reason to drop wheel size is to save money - less costly tires and less costly wheels. In my case, the 18” & 19” tires were the exact same price at Costco, so I bought the 19” even though I knew the wheels would cost more (& be harder to find since I’d decided to go with steel wheels).

HTH!

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Luxury Plug-In
15 Posts
If availability is at issue, I would always go with the larger size in order to preserve the car’s handling characteristics.

In general, the most compelling reason to drop wheel size is to save money - less costly tires and less costly wheels. In my case, the 18” & 19” tires were the exact same price at Costco, so I bought the 19” even though I knew the wheels would cost more (& be harder to find since I’d decided to go with steel wheels).

HTH!
Thanks, are you considering the Bridgestone BLIZZAK DM-V2? I noticed they're the same price for 18 and 19 at Costco CA.
I'm looking at the Michelin X-ICE and the 19's are $1724, 18's are $1634 and 17's are $1363 on steel. So I am leaning towards the 17s given the cost difference (my Tucson is a 4 year lease, so not for the long term) and given the base Tucson models run on 235/65R17 anyway.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Thanks, are you considering the Bridgestone BLIZZAK DM-V2? I noticed they're the same price for 18 and 19 at Costco CA.
I'm looking at the Michelin X-ICE and the 19's are $1724, 18's are $1634 and 17's are $1363 on steel. So I am leaning towards the 17s given the cost difference (my Tucson is a 4 year lease, so not for the long term) and given the base Tucson models run on 235/65R17 anyway.
Perhaps you missed my other posts, but I’ve already got the 19” Blizzaks on steel wheels and am happy with them. I understand your aim to save money if yours is a lease. For me, it’s about value, not cost. I wouldn’t want to drive a car that wallows in the corners and lacks crisp turn-in for 4 years, whether I owned it or leased it. That said, everyone has their own idea of what constitutes a “decent” drive! Lol

41 - 60 of 60 Posts