Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Ultimate, White/Grey
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks!

Just took delivery today of our white 2022 Ultimate with light leather trim ... she's a beaut!

Would anyone be kind enough to share any info on the purchase of winter wheels/tires/TPMS for this car? (Yes, looking to mount my winter tires on separate rims.)

Here are the aspects I'm pondering:
  1. The OEM size is 235/55R19 but I was thinking of downsizing to 18" to save money on the tires (so, 235/60R18) ... any opinions on this?
  2. Has anyone found a source for compatible 19" steel rims, and if so, where at what cost? I'm asking this because I saw that Costco (in Ontario) is selling Blizzak DM-V2 winter tires for the same price for 19" and 18" ($250 per tire, AND $100 off if you buy 4 by Aug 29th). That is, if downsizing doesn't save me much money (as the only difference would be in the cost of the wheels), it might be worth preserving the existing handling/cornering characteristics of the lower profile 19" rubber, even in winter.
  3. Has anyone considered (or gone to) narrower tires for winter (so 225 instead of 235 in my case)? Some "experts" suggest that narrower tires provide better winter traction since the same weight is distributed over a smaller contact patch.
  4. The dealer has quoted me $147.95 (plus tax) for a set of 4 TPMS valves, whereas Kal Tire has quoted $66.59 for each TPMS valve. What are people doing about TPMS? Are there different kinds?
Thanks for any info you can provide!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Live in Florida now but in my experience it’s better to have winter tires on another set of wheels as opposed to breaking tires off and on wheels multiple times a year.

You could start checking salvage yards for wrecked Hyundai’s and see if you could find a set of good looking factory wheels for cheap so you do t have to run steelies in the winter but most people prefer the cheapest wheels they can find on winter sets due to salt eating them up. Not sure what vehicles share lug pattern with ours but might be a good place to start if you go the extra wheel route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hey Folks!

Just took delivery today of our white 2022 Ultimate with light leather trim ... she's a beaut!

Would anyone be kind enough to share any info on the purchase of winter wheels/tires/TPMS for this car? (Yes, looking to mount my winter tires on separate rims.)

1. The OEM size is 235/55R19 but I was thinking of downsizing to 18" to save money on the tires (so, 235/60R18) ... any opinions on this?
  2. Has anyone found a source for compatible 19" steel rims, and if so, where at what cost? I'm asking this because I saw that Costco (in Ontario) is selling Blizzak DM-V2 winter tires for the same price for 19" and 18" ($250 per tire, AND $100 off if you buy 4 by Aug 29th). That is, if downsizing doesn't save me much money (as the only difference would be in the cost of the wheels), it might be worth preserving the existing handling/cornering characteristics of the lower profile 19" rubber, even in winter.
  3. Has anyone considered (or gone to) narrower tires for winter (so 225 instead of 235 in my case)? Some "experts" suggest that narrower tires provide better winter traction since the same weight is distributed over a smaller contact patch.
  4. The dealer has quoted me $147.95 (plus tax) for a set of 4 TPMS valves, whereas Kal Tire has quoted $66.59 for each TPMS valve. What are people doing about TPMS? Are there different kinds?
Congrats on your new Ultimate. You have the same colour and interior trim as me , however, I’m still waiting for mine!
I think winter might be over before it arrives.
I would suggest you go with the Hyundai TPMS and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Also interested (though who knows when my PHEV will ever show up). I'd likely even go with the 17" rims
I wish you luck with respect to a prompt delivery, but it's likely going to be a while, unless you live in Quebec. If the PHEV was more available, I would probably have opted for that myself!

Yes, my dealer recommended 17" wheels to me as well, but going 2" smaller might compromise cornering/handling a bit too much for me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its the size that comes on all the lower trims so I suspect it should be fine
No doubt you're right. I wasn't alluding to safety so much as my own personal preference for crisper handling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Folks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm in Canada and have a "Prefered" trim model that takes the 17 inch tires. I have been shopping for winter tires as well and got a quote yesterday from my dealer for tires, rims and sensors.

Price was comparative to what I found shopping around for all components.

A sensor kit with 4 sensors was $124, metal rims $73 each and Yokohama IceGrip tires at $185 each.

I also found Yokohama is offering a $70 rebate on purchase of 4 winter tires if purchased by December 15.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just curious, the original post asks the question of using slimmer tires and suggest a smaller contact patch is better in snow? And I missing something I would think wider is better....

Also might I suggest a few sites to use choosing new rims, as well as size comparing tires... I just upgraded on my BMW and went with much wider tires that still matches the overall rolling diameter of stock... And the rim tool is great for seeing what would fit when considering offsets... Although I do not have the stock parameters for the stock rims which you would need for comparison.

Rim fitment:

Tire size comparison:

These 2 sites helped me make the right choice for my ride .. hope they help you.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just curious, the original post asks the question of using slimmer tires and suggest a smaller contact patch is better in snow? And I missing something I would think wider is better....
As is commonly the case, opinions differ. If you’re interested in why wider might NOT be better, try Googling “why narrow tires are better for winter”, then decide for yourself.

BTW, thanks for your reference URLs!

For anyone who may be interested, I’ve made some decisions concerning winter shoes for my new ride and will post the details shortly - need to test one more aspect for fitment first.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In case anyone is interested, here's what I opted to do ...

Deciding to stick with the OEM size, I purchased 4 Blizzak DM-V2 235/55R19 tires from Costco; managed to get it on Labour Day sale at $200 off for buying a set of 4.

To avoid potential compatibility issues, I bought the set of 4 OEM TPMS sensors from the dealer.

Rather than go with alloys, I opted for 4 of these 19x7.5 steel wheels: DTD 2009 951401 | FREE SHIPPING CANADA |DTD 2009 Steel Wheel Black - PartsEngine Canada
In terms of mounting hole spacing and centre bore, the specs were bang on; the only potential issue was offset. I'm now happy to confirm I've received the wheels and tested them for fitment - there's plenty of space around these wheels so I don't anticipate any issues when the tires are mounted. I've also been assured, there should be no issues with using the OEM lug nuts, so no need to purchase anything else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can definitely go down to 17" rims. That's what is on my Tucson right now. The handling and steering is not that bad. I priced out Blizzaks for undeer $800 (Canadian) at Costco.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can definitely go down to 17" rims. That's what is on my Tucson right now. The handling and steering is not that bad. I priced out Blizzaks for undeer $800 (Canadian) at Costco.
Yes, I realize you “can” use 17” rims and in fact, lower trims are sold with that size (as listed in the owner’s manual). But to preserve the surprisingly taut handling I currently enjoy, I decided to pony up for the extra cost of continuing with the same size wheel & low profile 19” tires for winter driving.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In case anyone is interested, here's what I opted to do ...

Deciding to stick with the OEM size, I purchased 4 Blizzak DM-V2 235/55R19 tires from Costco; managed to get it on Labour Day sale at $200 off for buying a set of 4.

To avoid potential compatibility issues, I bought the set of 4 OEM TPMS sensors from the dealer.

Rather than go with alloys, I opted for 4 of these 19x7.5 steel wheels: DTD 2009 951401 | FREE SHIPPING CANADA |DTD 2009 Steel Wheel Black - PartsEngine Canada
In terms of mounting hole spacing and centre bore, the specs were bang on; the only potential issue was offset. I'm now happy to confirm I've received the wheels and tested them for fitment - there's plenty of space around these wheels so I don't anticipate any issues when the tires are mounted. I've also been assured, there should be no issues with using the OEM lug nuts, so no need to purchase anything else.
Hey! I was wondering if you happen to know what the OEM TPMS frequency is? It might be mentioned on the packaging or something like that.
Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
ahhhhh This is very reassuring to see. I'm getting a winter package that was fitted to a Santa Fe 2020 before and the TPMS is 433MHz as well. So it should work with the '22 Tucson!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts