Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woke up to this on Sunday morning... my nice neighbour opted to not say anything.... when I approached her about it, she denied it repeatedly, and then her son came out and owned up to it... she didn't sound surprised by his coming clean, which makes me believe she already knew...

image by homer_habs, on Flickr

They have already asked to pay for it in order to avoid the insurance company... and with today's visit to a body shop, I have a feeling that the $1700 repair estimate will mean they can't afford....

·
Registered
459 Posts
Holy fudge stickers! How does one do that? Is the son a kid that's a newb at driving?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Take it from me, parents today will back their kids up no matter what. Its easier to be a buddy than a parent.

Hopefully they agree to pay or it will get real awkward.

·
Registered
866 Posts
settle it fast with your neighbour ... for that much damage in Ontario a police report is needed for insurance... and insurance doesn't like hearing about it days later. Your insurance will cover it, but the question is whether there will be deductible from you, their company, or your insurance co will cover it under comprehensive.
your car was parked, so it shouldn't hurt your premiums... but ask insurance up front if the claim will reflect on your future renewal.
and get the money in your hand before the car gets to the body shop for repairs if your neighbour is paying.
sorry to see this.... but worse happens.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not reported yet - but that's happening tonight...
Gave the estimate to this driver on Tuesday... we're now Friday morning, and not heard a single thing from this guy or his mom...
I did talk to my ins company... was told that their ins would cover these damages, just have to get their info, get report in, and call in my claim...

and the ins company considers this a leaving the scene issue as well...

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
not reported yet - but that's happening tonight...
Gave the estimate to this driver on Tuesday... we're now Friday morning, and not heard a single thing from this guy or his mom...
I did talk to my ins company... was told that their ins would cover these damages, just have to get their info, get report in, and call in my claim...

and the ins company considers this a leaving the scene issue as well...
I can't talk about Canadian Ins. Co. but in USA this damage would not be charged against you. Ins. co. will charge the other persons Ins. Co. for damages

·
22,788 Posts
Its easier to be a buddy than a parent.
+1 Parenting isn't for wimps! Hope this mess gets straightened out to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
This type of parenting is getting to be the norm........... (God help us)

·
Registered
217 Posts
MOTHER F$^)@R....

Insurance company in Canada/Ontario are different from the states. Its your insurance company that pays for the claim, but your rates do not increases. They changed this here in NS last April, as it stops insurance company's from suing other insurance company's and dragging it all out.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I can't talk about Canadian Ins. Co. but in USA this damage would not be charged against you. Ins. co. will charge the other persons Ins. Co. for damages
Ontario was once that system.

Ontario has had "No Fault insurance" for about 20 years. Insurance Companies take care of their own.. and collect the deductible from either the offending party insurance or the car owner if the offending party cannot be identified. If deductible is applicable. OP's insurance will cover the damages, and since the police report will say his neighbour caused the damage, the neighbours insurance company will be on the hook for the deductible only. And his insurance record will be altered to record it. If they fail to report it to police or their insurance, they can be charged/ fined with leaving the scene of an accident.
There are some circumstances when the deductible is waived by insurance at their discretion or circumstance/ or coverage's.

No Fault was designed to save money for insurance companies not arguing fault or shared fault, billing and collecting form each other, virtually trading dollars back and forth.
Now companies like to sign up drivers with clean records and keep their costs low. Poor record, higher premiums.
I believe Ontario expect the same of drivers coming into Ontario from outside jurisdictions.
The insurance companies are all connected by a huge database that tracks every driver and car and it is all piped into the Ministry of Transportation Ontario ...cannot renew your license plates unless insurance is valid (to the day) .... and in some specific cases, tickets are paid. Big Brother of Networks. No point in lying about your driving history when you sign up to a new insurance company. Couple clicks of a keyboard and they have your entire insurance and past 3 years driving history.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts