Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I brought the SF in to get the oil changed and I figured I might as well have them swap on the winter steelies & tires on for me as well. They swap the wheels but tell me that i should purchase a set of open ended lug nuts as the oem ones don't fit as deep on the steelies which may cause them to loosen.

Is there any fact to this from a SF standpoint? Long lugs for aftermarket steelies or are they trying to pad the service bill with un-needed parts?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (Phantom @ Nov 27 2010, 12:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375106
So I brought the SF in to get the oil changed and I figured I might as well have them swap on the winter steelies & tires on for me as well. They swap the wheels but tell me that i should purchase a set of open ended lug nuts as the oem ones don't fit as deep on the steelies which may cause them to loosen.

Is there any fact to this from a SF standpoint? Long lugs for aftermarket steelies or are they trying to pad the service bill with un-needed parts?

Did you hand turn a wheel nut down to the steel wheel for fit ? I use my aluminum wheel' nuts in past with my steel wheel for winter... your spare is on a steel wheel, correct...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Each set of wheels for both my cars have their own set of nuts or bolts. Some are designed for conical, some are round, some need to be longer.

The description you're quoting doesn't quite make sense though? If the nut can go on the bolt enough to tighten to spec torque then open or not doesn't matter (it's not like the open is going to tighten "more"). Either the wheels are secured or they're not and the dealer wouldn't let you drive away. But if they meant the inside edge of the bolt was not the right type then yes, get the right ones even though you can make do with wrong ones.

Those are bolts, but you can see that you could use one inside a hole meant for another, but the contact area would be greatly reduced, and the bolt would come loose. The same rules apply for nuts. If you have a flat wheel and you use a rounded nut, it will come off sooner or later.

Get the right nuts.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm assuming that they mean that the winter steelie fit closer/deeper to the hub (lack of a better word) then the oem rims. If that is the case then the original lug nuts would not secure deep enough before reaching it's own depth hence the need for open ended nuts.

So I'm asking if this is a correct fact or BS from the service dept trying to get me to purchase something I don't need?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
With no wheel on the mounting, take 1 of your existing nuts and spin it on... if the nose pretty well bottom out to flange, then not need to buy $0.50 plain old steel wheel nuts..

If it really bother you, then run to auto part store and buy yourself (20) of the plain old wheel nut in 12mm x 1.50 and use them.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I don't know about your specific situation. It depends on the type of rims. Generally, steel rims are thinner, in which case you do have to get different lug nuts. But not necessarily open ended.

Do what Khyron said. Make sure you use the right nuts for your rims.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guess I will run out to a parts source and get some open ended lugs just for peace of mind since they put the doubt in my mind. I'm sure it will be cheaper there then the dealership anyways.

Since the steelies are on already, would it be fine to swap the lugs without lifting the SF again? I mean if I swap one lug for the other while all the wheels are on the ground, there shouldn't be any concern of inbalance or anything of the sort correct?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (Phantom @ Nov 27 2010, 02:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375146
Guess I will run out to a parts source and get some open ended lugs just for peace of mind since they put the doubt in my mind. I'm sure it will be cheaper there then the dealership anyways.

Since the steelies are on already, would it be fine to swap the lugs without lifting the SF again? I mean if I swap one lug for the other while all the wheels are on the ground, there shouldn't be any concern of inbalance or anything of the sort correct?
Swap away.... What nuts is holding the wheels on currently ?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As of yesterday, I now have aftermarket winter steelies held down with the oem lug nut that came with the stock 16" rims.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Nov 27 2010, 03:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375127
With no wheel on the mounting, take 1 of your existing nuts and spin it on... if the nose pretty well bottom out to flange, then not need to buy $0.50 plain old steel wheel nuts..

If it really bother you, then run to auto part store and buy yourself (20) of the plain old wheel nut in 12mm x 1.50 and use them.

Hi,

You mention the wheel nut size 12mm X 1.5mm. Is this the right size for a 2009 Santa fe?
My nuts outer size are 13/16, which is imperial. Would they have metric for internal dimensions? (Unless 13/16 is very close to a metric size and I did not notice.)

So what is the correct size? It does not say in the owner's manual.
I was given the wrong tuner nut size (14mm X 1.5mm, way too big) so now I have to find out what is the correct size.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts