Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am owner of a 2013 Sonata Hybrid as of this past July...car has been great so far. Averaging about 40-42 mpg during the last couple warmer months. As of recently, mpg's have plumeted to around 33-35 mpg. I have read on here that mpg will fall due to cold weather and gas engine has to run more often to heat the engine, etc. I understand that but is it really that big of hit during cold temps. It's been in the 30's and 40's lately so if it gets really cold, will it drop even further? Mileage on the car is 39000, got it with 33000 so engine is still in tip-top shape. Keep tire pressure at 35psi and am not heavy on the gas pedal as I like to see the Green EV light on often as possible.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you do a lot of short trips, then I suspect what you are seeing is about right. As far as I can tell, the engines are just too efficient.

You should see how much a hit the plug-in Sonatas are taking. You go from using no gas to getting about 40 to 50 mpg using gas and electricity from home.

Hyundai should have installed a heat pump instead of just an AC compressor in the plug-in Sonatas and perhaps the regular hybrids too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I live in upstate NY and I get about 30 to 33 in the cold weather and I put on snow tires which doesn't help. Highway might bring me close to 40 if I'm lucky.

·
Registered
13,351 Posts
Am owner of a 2013 Sonata Hybrid as of this past July...car has been great so far. Averaging about 40-42 mpg during the last couple warmer months. As of recently, mpg's have plumeted to around 33-35 mpg. I have read on here that mpg will fall due to cold weather and gas engine has to run more often to heat the engine, etc. I understand that but is it really that big of hit during cold temps. It's been in the 30's and 40's lately so if it gets really cold, will it drop even further? Mileage on the car is 39000, got it with 33000 so engine is still in tip-top shape. Keep tire pressure at 35psi and am not heavy on the gas pedal as I like to see the Green EV light on often as possible.
I have an Accent, and I have NEVER had a car (mostly Toyotas) as susceptible to colder weather as the Accent. Add to that the "winter" fuel formula is different from summer fuel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I told my wife that's why I think they put the seat warmers as a standard option because it takes so stinking long for the engine to heat up. Makes sense.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Even here in California, I've been driving the same (routes and hypermile) and really trying to maintain my previous good MPG results and the MPG is down and I'm not even using the heater... Was thinking the battery is not getting charged as efficiently or holding a charge. Seems to take more % power to get going even. I run my tires at 40 psi. Maybe winter fuel? Will have to see if things change back in the warmer months...

·
Registered
8,491 Posts
With the fluctuation in temperatures be sure to keep the tire pressures up as the temp drops.

·
Registered
8,491 Posts
Both my cars are slow to warm up and have new t-stats. The Accent has the typical t-stat at the upper outlet while the Gen Coupe has the t-stat at the lower inlet.

The Gen Coupe also has full flow coolant all the time through the heater core and then to the turbo and then past the t-stat. Because of this when you have the heater on full heat with high fan speeds, this takes a lot of heat out of what goes past the t-stat. Consequently the engine temp actually rises. Last night it was running around 190-192F with the heater fan turned up, when normally or after the heat is turned down it settles in at 185-187F. That's a nice benefit, the Accent if you turn the fan on high the engine temp plummets.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Your mileage is normal. We had the same thing happen when we bought our Sonata Hybrid in 11. We were getting around 38 mpg and then cold weather hit. We saw the same dramatic drop. I wrote a letter to Road and Track and the published my letter. The response was that's what happens. Soon after we received a call from Hyundai corporate. Nice lady, some wheel's secretary. They saw my letter in R&T. She soon realized that I wasn't going to buy "your mileage varies" speech. After I complained about them not offering a service manual, she told me she would look into things and call me back.

I think there a couple of issues. One is the gasoline engine runs more to make heat. In the summer, the engine doesn't start until we back out of the garage. In the winter, it fires immediately. I think it makes heat as well as any other car. I was looking at a Leaf and noticed that they don't have heat, but heated seats. The other issue is batteries don't like cold. Maybe they don't loose charge, but I think it takes more energy to charge them. These are my theories but we have the mileage to prove it.

Another mileage surprise will be new tires. We run snow tires which seemed to drop mileage a couple of mpg. It turns out that it was less the snow tires (Michelin X-Ice) which are green tires, but just new tires. Mileage had been increasing over the years and was around 40 summer and 36-37 winter. Last spring, the summer tires needed to be replaced. I went with Conti green tires over the Michelin because although better mpg wise, the Michelin performance numbers were not very good. So on went the Contis and down went the mileage. Ouch 35 mpg. It did start to recover by winter, but I just put the snows on and we are back to 38 on a trip last weekend. It will drop around town I'm sure.

Overall, we are still pleased. We get our mileage check every 30K miles. We just got one for $68. The mileage has been above what was advertised in the summer but definitely suffers in the winter.

I can get better mileage in the Sonata than my wife which is a first. I like to drive with the right pedal. But she hasn't really adapted to the hybrid system. Regen braking doesn't make sense to her. She was taught not to ride the brake. I try to back off the gas pedal to get the car into EV mode while she keeps her foot just in it enough to keep the EV off. It's enough to make a 2-3 mpg difference.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Low to mid-40's in the summer on a '16. Upper 30's in the winter here in NE Ohio. One thing that noticeably whacks the mileage is using the remote start, which I use frequently. I know what the mileage is when I shut the car off and it's down several decimal points if I let the car idle for ten to twenty minutes for a remote start. Don't care, though. :)

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Jersey winter gas and cold weather. Was getting 44 - 48 Mpg even with air on up to Oct, but it's been warm until then.
Now with the different gas and cold weather... back to 40 - 43. Also depends on number of trips per day the engine has to heat up.

I have a 2016 with the new 2.0 engine.. so our mileage is a bits better. Just hitting 19K, picked it up in Jan with 3K on it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One tip I learned was to turn off heating system all together and use heated seats for first 10 min. of driving. I can attest to this as when you first start the car and turn the heat all the way up, the gas engine immediately starts up...if I turn off heating system it doesn't come on right away but as I accelerate to where I'm going....You can do this if you can take not having heat come out while driving, where as my wife being cold natured won't do this and thinks I'm crazy, lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts