Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 sonata and was able to get 38 city 41+ hiway during the summer.

it is at 23mpg now and mostly due to fact the engine stays on all the time. battery charged over half, stopping at a light, heat is off, blue drive and engine still runs. (so it shows instant mpg of zero while stopped)

Is that normal? pls advise if there is a certain temp that requires engine to stay on.

or should I go to a dealer?

·
Registered
218 Posts
The car will still want to heat the engine to normal operating temperature and maintain it. If its not, then the engine will run. I believe it also has to do with how cold it is outside as a factor. Besides, with the temps being so low lately, I am fine with the engine running when it needs to. The engine is used to produce heat in the cabin. I like to be comfortable in the car, not freezing.

What they should do in the future is incorporate a electric heater for the vehicle so the engine does not have to run as much to make heat for the cabin.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a 2011 sonata and was able to get 38 city 41+ hiway during the summer.

it is at 23mpg now and mostly due to fact the engine stays on all the time. battery charged over half, stopping at a light, heat is off, blue drive and engine still runs. (so it shows instant mpg of zero while stopped)

Is that normal? pls advise if there is a certain temp that requires engine to stay on.

or should I go to a dealer?
Definitely normal. Depending on hold cold it gets, you will get to the point where the battery keeps charging until its > 95 percent and still won't go into EV mode. Even when the engine is warmed up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just curious how much u get

to 58NorthHybrid

how much do u get in Buffalo these days? I am in Toronto, so temp is about the same.

·
Registered
97 Posts
During that last cold snap (6-10F), down to about 30MPG. Warmed up late last week... into the 20s, and I was back to around 33-34MPG.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Stephenbbb,

One thing I found with the heat is to turn the front defroster off unless needed. Even if you have it in the off position. I was at a stop light and by merely changing it to floor instead of defrost engine stops. I only ise the defrost mode when absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
97 Posts
For the record, you can and will get good mileage in the cold, but it just takes a heck of a lot longer to warm up to the point that you're getting decent efficiency... Here's a picture from a couple of days ago.... 6 degrees Fahrenheit.

cold.jpg

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yea lately with the really cold weather in Chicago, it takes about a half hour of driving before mine starts to cycle on and off the gas engine as opposed to constantly staying running. Even today (2 degrees) when the operating temp is normal the engine will stay running 95% of the time in over 40m of driving. The only time it cycled was when i turned off the hvac as a test. I think if the car was programmed to cycle more aggressively in the colder weather, people would not be so concerned about the mileage in the winter.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Judging by some of the other threads (the one where someone put a small heater on the traction battery to warn it up a bit in very cold weather and saw a big mileage increase) it seems to be that in really cold weather the car is trying to warm up the traction battery and that's why the engine stays on even when the traction battery is charged.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've managed to get pretty decent gas mileage on the highway by turning the heat to high and then hitting the off button on the hvac system. If you're driving above 55 mph or so, there's a fair amount of air that gets blown thru the vents even with the system off. I wouldn't say it stays warm in the cabin, but it was enough that I couldn't see my breath with the outside temp at -2F. I'd keep it on my feet until I could see a bit of condensation forming on the windows and then push the "head" button on the controls (not the defrost), and then I'd cycle the HVAC system back on when I got too cold or the frost started showing up. Seemed to work pretty good. It gets cold fast if you slow down or stop though!
I managed 37.2 mpg (display) over 96 miles of about 60% hilly county roads (55mph, with a few stop and go areas) and 40% highway (65mph) with a morning low of -2F and the afternoon drive up to 6F. I did start loop by getting gas after the car was warmed up in the morning. Poor planning having to get gas at -2F with a 20mph wind!

Air temp: -2F to 6F
Miles Driven: 96.0
Avg Speed: 45
Avg MPG: 37.2 (displayed)

·
Registered
198 Posts
What they should do in the future is incorporate a electric heater for the vehicle so the engine does not have to run as much to make heat for the cabin.
Does anyone know for sure if there is not an electric heater in our cars? I kind of thought there was since my car can run the heat while in EV mode. I thought that the reason the engine turned on more was just because more power was being consumed, not because we didn't have a heater.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Does anyone know for sure if there is not an electric heater in our cars? I kind of thought there was since my car can run the heat while in EV mode. I thought that the reason the engine turned on more was just because more power was being consumed, not because we didn't have a heater.
I believe the HSH has an electric coolant pump to circulate the coolant to the heater core while the ICE is off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts