Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,914 Posts
I'll run my car thru the carwash at work ( and no, it doesn't scratch or swirl the paint) or if it's above freezing, I'll wash my car by hand. I'm a detailer so I have to work in all types of weather. I always make sure I power wash the undercarriage and the wheel wells.

·
Registered
209 Posts
i will be washing my car all winter in my closed garage with 4 gallons of water (2 buckets/2 gallons), two grit guards, 4 microfiber towels, and optimum no rinse (ONR). when the car is extra nasty i will stop by the car wash on my way home to spray it off first.

google ONR, youtube, autopia, etc

couldn't imagine going through winter without it

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just purchased a package of 20 car washes from a place a mile away from our house. 10 for me and 10 for my wife.

It is a touch free car wash and is far from a perfect wash but it will knock the snow and salt off and help protect the cars with minimal effort.

Got a discount with the large package and cost 90 bucks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Most all touchless car washes use a very acidic soap in order to try to remove bugs and debris. In turn this strips any wax you have on the car and it also removes protection from your rubber and plastic and susepts them to early degradation.
Probably not what you want to hear, but I wouldn't go near any touchless car wash with a car I care about.

Try and find a good hand wash place and go there..

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
For those of us that live with salted roads, the undercarriage is what you want to really want to watch out for. A trick we've used is a fan lawn sprinkler. Hook it up, than drive over it ( check for clearances ). Car washes are bad in a lot of ways, from the chemicals used to the brushes. They end up with dirt and debris in them from the previous vehicles. Then, you drive in and it is like a sanding machine. Better off just going to one of those pressure washer places and using the water to rinse it down. Will it be gleaming off the showroom floor? No, but it buys time until you can really wash it. Just keep the nozzle back a bit and if something doesn't come off, deal with it later.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
QUOTE (Petrol_head @ Dec 18 2010, 07:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381128
Most all touchless car washes use a very acidic soap in order to try to remove bugs and debris. In turn this strips any wax you have on the car and it also removes protection from your rubber and plastic and susepts them to early degradation.
Probably not what you want to hear, but I would go near any touchless car wash with a car I care about.

Try and find a good hand wash place and go there..
Won't it be the same soap as what is in the pressure washer where you spray it yourself? I like the touchless as it has a undercarriage and rocker panel sprayer when you drive in as it's hard to get at the undercarriage with wand.

But yeah in the winter time no need to spend the extra time to make it showroom clean as the minute you leave the car wash and drive 3 blocks it will be all dirty again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i just wash my car as normal..
except i use hot water through my hose..

rinse
foam (Griots garage foam gun and DP car wash)
hand wash with 2 bucket system (one with soam and grit guard, other with clean water and grit guard)
pull in garage, leaf blower to dry
hand dry with large waffle weave microfiber towel
then apply my favorite sealant and wax

·
Registered
717 Posts
Car wash then dry using a waffle weave drying towel. I got 2 weeks off so sometime I am going to give it a detail. Already anal about keeping it clean just needs a few coats of wax.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.