Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes the winter blend gas is here in California. Hate it. it costs 5% less, but gives 10% less fuel economy. I am now getting 24 mpg in the city vs. my summer 27 mpg average. So it cost me 5% more in the long run.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yup, this little engine is very sensitive to gas. I have noticed almost a 10% bump in MPG when I buy reformulated gas in NH or MA vs the standard formulation here in Maine. Wish it were required everywhere!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I hate it. Not only does the winter blend decrease the mpg, but add in the fact that I have to warm up my car on really cold days (because I'm a baby and can't stand to be cold) and it dips even further. :eek: :mad:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Any one run on 89 octane gas and noticed any detrimental differences?
I won't run anything less then 91, I do drive my car a bit harder then most. Anything less then 91 results in knocking and the car struggles up hills

·
Registered
87 Posts
I won't run anything less then 91, I do drive my car a bit harder then most. Anything less then 91 results in knocking and the car struggles up hills
I agree with you... I ran my 2013 since new with 87, and the car hesite when accelerating specialy on the 2nd gear. Since a month, i only filled her up with 91 and she run better...

·
Registered
125 Posts
suspected fact that cars will run better on middle grade under summer heat/air conditioning on and stressful load or acceleration conditions. also, as you get more miles on it, the octane required to maintain performance creeps up. another reason why it is a good idea to run the car at speed for an hour or more on the interstate to help clean out the exhaust and intake/combustion engine systems.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I am using the same everything for my car year round. Cheap Sams Club gas and 87 octane. The car runs a bit more powerful in winter due to the cold air.

·
Registered
35 Posts
suspected fact that cars will run better on middle grade under summer heat/air conditioning on and stressful load or acceleration conditions. also, as you get more miles on it, the octane required to maintain performance creeps up. another reason why it is a good idea to run the car at speed for an hour or more on the interstate to help clean out the exhaust and intake/combustion engine systems.
The reason you made need higher octane later in a car's life is due to heavy carbon buildup in the cylinders which can raise your car's compression. A properly operated and properly maintained vehicle will hardly ever reach this point.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I only use 87 gas that I get from the local Safeway gas bar. I've never had any pinging or driveablilty issues... I have filled up with 91 a few times to see if it would provide better mileage. I faithfully hand calculate my mileage at every fill and never noticed any difference when I tried the higher octane.

Winter blend does make a difference here. I have 2 other cars and a pickup truck. I hand calculate their mileages at every fill as well.. I can tell when the switch to winter blend gas occurs because all my mileages suddenly drop by about 5% We usually switch over in October.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I have noticed this as well. We do mostly in-town driving but when I take an occasional road trip the in-town mileage did seem better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts