Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, everything has been going great until the ice broke the plastic clip that holds the wiper onto the j-hook arm of my driverside blade. I had to go out and replace and since the factory wiper blades were fantastic and nothing streaked or smeared I wanted to buy some expensive alternate to I got the same quality the originals gave me.

I picked up some Rain-x latitude blades to replace my driver side one that broke and it was pretty pricey (second most expensive blade they sold) but hey I wanted the same quality my factory ones gave me so it was fine spending 25 bucks to replace it.

After I put it on and clipped it to the j-hook I thought eveything was good to go but I was wrong. The blade streaks and smears everywhere to the point where I can barley see in the snow/rain. Its not just happening in one or two spots on the windshield but the whole driverside portion is getting smeared. Its almost like the blade isnt pressing down hard enough to take the rain/snow off, it just lightly presses on it and smears it all around while my passenger side blade is golden.

I put Windex on the blade and windsheid to clean it to see if there was any build up on the blade from the factory but that didnt help at all. Does anybody know a way I can fix this to increase the tension on the blade? Its gonna get me in trouble when it really starts raining outside and i cant see anything.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I would take a baby wipe or alcohol pad and rub the blade. If that doesn't help. Just go exchange it, state there defective. I bought a pair of rainx for my parents car and never had that issue. Even after months of them on they still have a clean swipe. Maybe that one blade is a bad one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea I bought it at Walmart I dont know their exchange policy because i dont have the recipet anymore but i do have the box it came in. hopefully they will do an exchange.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awesome. they had the boesch icon ones too. i dont know if they are better but the last thing I want is to exchange it and the same thing happen. If thats the case I dont know what to do because obviously it isnt the wiper. so then what? lol It isnt anything on the glass because the OEM passenger blade works to perfection. I have to lean over and one side of the windshield is smeared and the passenger half is crystal clear so its not the windshield

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
a tip....already mentioned...

my blades were smearing as well...i too went to walmart to get the michelin blades. couldn't get them to fit properly...so took them back. i thought i knew how to install wiper blades - guess i was wrong in this case. however, back to the point...

i went home...got an alcohol rubbing pad, wiped the blades down a few times...and they are like new again. if you have tried that...return them as being defective.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I heard vinegar works too so I will try that. I do know Windex does NOT work, didnt do anything after I windex the whole shield and the blades and wiped with a microfiber cloth. So rubbing alchohol and vinegar it is

·
Registered
920 Posts
I heard vinegar works too so I will try that. I do know Windex does NOT work, didnt do anything after I windex the whole shield and the blades and wiped with a microfiber cloth. So rubbing alchohol and vinegar it is
Yep try those 2 and see what happens.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
As soon as I saw the thread title, I was going to see if anyone mentioned vinegar. I had a car that just would not stop smearing on the windshield. As stated, alchol wipe the heck out of the blade. If you have no pads, use the alcohol and a cotton ball. Stoner's Invisible Glass is a great glass cleaner ( I clean with newspapers ). Even if it doesn't cure the smearing problem, it is great to have to clean automotive glass and even around the house. Use white vinegar to wipe down the glass several times. report back and let us know how it went.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've tried just about every wiper blade sold in the US. My findings are, don't waste your money on those fancy one piece models of any maker. The absolute best blade is the Bosch Excel+.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts