Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed that the speed of the windshield wipers at the "high" speed seems to be slower then most other cars? Almost to the point that when its raining moderately and driving at around 70 mph its extremely difficult to see.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
I have also thought our high wiper speed is a little slower then other cars. In a hard rain they don't keep the windshield as clear.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You're totally right about the windshield wipers. I am lucky to be alive after Wednesday when I had to almost come to a complete stop on the interstate because I couldn't even see where the side of the road was to pull over. Turning the wipers on "high" was like low on my old car. Luckily no one was immediately behind me.

·
Registered
458 Posts
If and when it ever rains here again, I will take the 12 limited 2.0T out on the interstate and go 70 plus and see how the wipers work. If hydroplaning is not and issue, I will report back on my findings. NOT

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I've also noticed they're kinda slow. I use Rain-X when I can remember too.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
If you cant see you are driving way to fast. And they (wipers) wont cause an accident because they are to slow. If you can't drive your car with the equipment on board you need to alter your driving style or change cars or speed a little more time maintaining it.

Maintenance has a HUGE affect on wipers. I am OCD about having clean windows and they are never coated in bugs or street goo (I wash them at least once a week). I also wax my windows with whatever wax I am using on my car. I have no issues with the wipers at highway speeds and I can say I probably used the highs about two or three times in my Sonata.

I liken this back to rental cars. They never take care of their windows and never clean them properly and I use highs a LOT on rentals with many brands and models being represented. So, I think this is more about car maint than the true speed of the wipers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you cant see you are driving way to fast. And they (wipers) wont cause an accident because they are to slow. If you can't drive your car with the equipment on board you need to alter your driving style or change cars or speed a little more time maintaining it.
What do you do? Stay home when it rains? Last I checked the interstates have a minimum legal posted speed as well as a maximum posted speed. And obviously automakers wouldn't put a high speed setting on wipers if they weren't necessary. The bottom line is that tommycoxjr is right about the wipers on this car. They are too slow on high, period. And by the way, it's TOO, not TO.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
IMHO, properly applied Rain-X is a very good solution to low visibility during downpours. It's amazing how well you can see, even with your wipers off. It's widely used in aviation applications as well. The stuff really works.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I'm in Florida and we get lots of rain here and some hard downpours. The Sonata's wiper speed has always been fast enough for me. I prefer to run them on slow when possible. While not everyone does, you should slow down and turn on your lights during rain for safety. My 2 cents. I'm not complaining about the wipers.

Bob

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
What do you do? Stay home when it rains? Last I checked the interstates have a minimum legal posted speed as well as a maximum posted speed. And obviously automakers wouldn't put a high speed setting on wipers if they weren't necessary. The bottom line is that tommycoxjr is right about the wipers on this car. They are too slow on high, period. And by the way, it's TOO, not TO.
And last I checked its required by state law to drive within the means of the environment meaning you can get a speeding citation for traveling the posted speed limit if conditions are appropriate. And I would guess that if its raining that hard that you believe the wipers are not keeping up there is a high chance also that there is standing water.

And nobody said the high speed setting wasn't necessary. You just misread and misapplied what was read. Because I have driven in torrential downpours in the car. I don't let any weather keep me at home. I just take care of my cars so that when the heavens open up I am prepared for it.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Bearcats, how you like those folding wipers on your Fusion? I got used to that style on my last vehicle and I think it works better. I wished the Sonatas were like that, rather than having that small passenger side wiper.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Bearcats, how you like those folding wipers on your Fusion? I got used to that style on my last vehicle and I think it works better. I wished the Sonatas were like that, rather than having that small passenger side wiper.
Sweep is good. Works well enough in the rain. However I am not sure I am totally sold on the direct motor drive for moving snow off the window. There are a lot of warnings in the manual about making sure the windshield is totally free and clear of any ice/snow before operation...however I don't see any complaints on the Fusion forums.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
The high speed setting is definitely slower than my Impala was. I first noticed this when I was stopped at a light in heavy rain. My Impala wipers on high would actually shake the car.

I use Rain X windshield fluid year-round and once it took to the new glass I haven't needed anything over medium speed even when going 65-70 on the highway.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I use Rain-X as well and also wipe it on my windshield wipers. However, I also drive in accordance to the conditions regardless of the speed limit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts