Hyundai Forums banner

Windshield (windscreen) lamination crazing

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Bismarck318 
#1 ·
I noticed a crazing going on in the center lamination of my windshield, this produces sun dogs & a bad glare when the sun is at certain angles or bright LED/HID oncoming lights hit it.

This appears to be the original Hyundai glass, I put a polish in a small area to insure this isn't on the exterior, has there been any known issues or recalls on this? &/what would cause this? It appears to be over the entire windshield.

I would rather not have the windshield replaced if not necessary as it likely will leak at some point.

#3 ·
It's kind of hard to get on a camera, as the camera lenses pick up their own glare in direct lighting. I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer for a look see, but don't want a $150 diagnostic fee especially if they resolve it as a normal condition due to the car being 5 years old .To describe it it's kind of like when you bend a clear plastic aged cup & you get crazing, or cobwebs .... In normal lighting, not really an issue, & non-decernable, though I have an LED lamp on my garage & when pulling in & looking at it it's very apparent. . I also noted some waviness near the bottom of the glass, but that's looking at the sloped angles.

I'm going to hit 50K later this week, anything covered aside of the powertrain?

#4 ·
Service dept @ local Dealership claims this is on the outside & suggests I clean my windshield with 0000 Steel wool & window cleaner, I'm going to try to get pics of what is going on from a certain parking lot I go to, all halos around the lighting & quite obvious a distraction. Was surprised that steel wool is a automotive trick looking this up, I would think that there may be laminates on the exterior.

They told me the age of the vehicle that may be normal & the windshield may just be "worn out" from wear & tear, & service manager said possibly wiper wear though its throughout the entire window.... I've never seen this in any of my vehicles.

I believe it was on one of my higher end Pontiacs, that said NOT to use cleanser as a means to clean the windshield (on that specific trim line only), it was either on my '86 6000 STE or Bonneville SSei that had the HUD.

#6 ·
Had 4 replaced also, one leaked off the bat twice, one was improperly installed, salt & other corrosive chemistry rotted the windshield well, eventually leaked from a hidden rust hole that had been festering for several years, repair exceeded the vehicle value by the time it was discovered... no guarantees in life. The 2 that initially leaked on the same car were repaired, but leaked again 3 years later. Consistent temperature changes shrink & swell the seals causing leaks.

If Hyundai found it to be defective glass I'd likely have to have it replaced, but I can see from the dealer service response that they are saying this is external & normal wear & tear & it will never get that far.

I had a '62 Chevy that the side glass (back & vent) windows became "milky" on the edges but the car was nearly 20 years old at the time... not 5, plus the glass technology & manufacturing processes had improved I would had thought.

If it was wear & tear from the environment, I would see this on the back window as well.

#7 ·
I said it would be hard to capture this on camera, though you can see it, the windshield is relatively clean inside & out. This "sheen" goes throughout the glass... Service tech said these just "wear out" over time. Why only the windshield has this sheen to it? The sun or streetlights brings this out, & the lower the sun angle the more blinding it is. Overcast days or high sun it's hardly noticeable.

I may shoot some night shots of the parking lot/street lights.

#9 ·
The glass doesn't "wear out", but it will get fine scratches / sandblast type pits. The easiest place to see an example of the scratches is to look at the rear window of an SUV, people run the wiper on it to get rid of dust without the glass being wet, you will be able to see the scratch pattern that follows the path of the wiper blade. The windshield in the picture looks like it was run through a dry car wash while it was dirty. By dry I mean the rubber or cloth strips that rub the car are dry. I had a dealer run my black truck through a wash that was apparently the first wash of the day and my truck was fairly dirty. It ended up doing exactly what the picture shows all over the truck, glass, paint, plastic lenses. The dealer ended up doing a "cut and buff" for the paint, but I had to live with the glass and lenses. You can try to polish the glass with the steel wool, but that is going to be a long, tedious process that will probably not result in significant improvement.

#10 ·
Understood, we do get occasional "Salt Pits" from the salt gods in my area but the vehicle was from the south. I took possession @ 47K & the car was in an indoor storage for over a year before that.

Never had this happen on a vehicle, Service Manager said it was from the wipers, & the day before the other guy at the dealer said glass wears out, I can see mild wiper marks that is not the issue here at all, & the entire glass even in the corners. I would like to polish a section to see if this improves, if not it looks like its inside the glass not surface scratches.

My 06 VUE with 128K's windshield looks great in comparison. :unsure:

Upon receiving any vehicle I always rain X the entire glass areas, always kept them looking new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.