Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month I had my 2013 Sport serviced at the local dealer. When I got home I noticed a big puddle of fluid in front of the right front tire. It was the Rainx I use come out in a steady drip. Called the dealer and they got me right back in the next day.

It was the pump that was leaking. It seems that the pump has a separate outlet pump for the rear washer attached to the back of the main pump. It had cracked. I figured they would have to order one and I'd have to come back. As it turns out they did have a new pump in stock. The tech who did the replacement had seen this once before and ordered an extra one for stock. Took about an hour for the repair.

Just wondered if anyone here has had that problem before? Just a FYI note.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Not unusual during the winter on any model. I have seen tanks or pumps that just cracked. The most common root cause is that it gets colder than the freeze protection and the expanding fluid causes the cracks. NOT saying that's what happened in your case :) as you obviously live in a warmer climate. My tank froze a couple of times this past winter (MY fault) but I was lucky as I have not had any leaks.

Other causes can be from vibrations depending on how everything is mounted and hoses run or plastic that just deteriorates over time. I am not a big fan of tanks located in the fender areas. They seem to have a higher failure rate than when they were mounted higher in the engine compartment. Odd that it happened right after servicing. If I had to guess in your case, I would say that the vehicle was put on a lift during servicing? The added stress of lifting the vehicle (Always some body flex) might have been enough to trigger the leak.

Reactions: Richard Bicker

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not unusual during the winter on any model. I have seen tanks or pumps that just cracked. The most common root cause is that it gets colder than the freeze protection and the expanding fluid causes the cracks. NOT saying that's what happened in your case :) as you obviously live in a warmer climate. My tank froze a couple of times this past winter (MY fault) but I was lucky as I have not had any leaks.

Other causes can be from vibrations depending on how everything is mounted and hoses run or plastic that just deteriorates over time. I am not a big fan of tanks located in the fender areas. They seem to have a higher failure rate than when they were mounted higher in the engine compartment. Odd that it happened right after servicing. If I had to guess in your case, I would say that the vehicle was put on a lift during servicing? The added stress of lifting the vehicle (Always some body flex) might have been enough to trigger the leak.
Everything you say is true. RainX washer fluid is rated at -20 degrees. LOL, I don't think SC has seen that temp since the Ice Age. :grin2: In all my years owning cars, I was 19 when I bought my first car and now 75, I have never had a washer tank fail. Thanks for your input. Guess no one has had the same problem with their Hyundai.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I have seen some prior posts on that topic if memory serves. Surprised no one chimed in..

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If they had the part in stock it probably is a fairly common or known by Hyundai issue.
That is what I was thinking. The SA said they had had just one other problem like this one. I was shocked to find out they had ONE in stock.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Last month I had my 2013 Sport serviced at the local dealer. When I got home I noticed a big puddle of fluid in front of the right front tire. It was the Rainx I use come out in a steady drip. Called the dealer and they got me right back in the next day.

It was the pump that was leaking. It seems that the pump has a separate outlet pump for the rear washer attached to the back of the main pump. It had cracked. I figured they would have to order one and I'd have to come back. As it turns out they did have a new pump in stock. The tech who did the replacement had seen this once before and ordered an extra one for stock. Took about an hour for the repair.

Same issue on my 2015 Santa Fe Sport. Need to make an appointment with the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2014 Sante Fe Sport that is leaking washer fluid. We purchased the car new in September of 2014 (51 months ago) and it now has almost 60k miles. Would the washer pump still be under warranty? I looks to be rather easy to replace the pump if it's not covered. It was never exposed to a freeze (Central California).

·
Registered
427 Posts
Funny but my 2017 is using washer fluid so quick I though I had a leak somewhere, maybe I do have a leak?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Very simple replacement for the pump. It may take a technician 15 or 20 mins to do this job. My 2015 washer pump cracked in 3 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts

In February same thing happened to my 2013 Santa Fe. Had the reservoir replaced. Today my 2019 Ironman Kona with 7k miles is doing the same thing 🤔 kind of odd...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I noticed this post while looking for another subject matter. I too had windshield cleaner fluid leaking. While at the dealership for an unrelated reason, i inquired and they wanted $250 for the repair. I took the initiative and found out it was not the tank but the pump. I found this part for $30 on Ama#@$ and did the replacement myself inside of 20 minutes. There is an excellent video on YouTube for this repair.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts