Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My windshield washer pump keeps freezing in colder weather. It was doing it last winter, and I have tried all sorts of different fluid, but it kept freezing. Last winter was around -12. This winter it doesn't work as soon as it hits freezing outside.

Can i buy just the pump, or is it all part of the washer reservoir?

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
I would try some of the deicer fluid, not the blue stuff. The methanol in the blue stuff will evaporate enough to lower the freeze protection if you don't use it over the summer.

But yes you can just buy the pump.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've tried all different types of fluid. Cheap to expensive.

Liked the RainX stuff, but the pump would still freeze up

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
that means you're getting water in it somehow...would have to be a significant amount. i'm familar with the rainx fluid and it isn't the best in extreme cold. where do you live (roughly) and what is the temp rating of the fluid you're using?

even the de-icer rainx is rated to -25 F according to their website or -31.7 C. there is usually a couple days where i live that can drop down there.

for water ingress, start searching for cracks in the tank or leaks somewhere. it would thin out the fluid and the freezing temp would go up. other than that, get some of the stuff that is good to -45 C

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use -45 Celsius deicer fluid normally from october to april, and my pump or something else is always freezing past around -15... Every year. I just came back from a ride and today it's -19.

I got deicer coming out at the beginning but it started to lower in intensity until I got that foam again.The only thing I get is foam in the front and in the rear, and I hear the pump on both. At first I thought there were no more deicer as usual so I put some more but I realized it's full. I don't know what to do with this..

I would say there is some small ice blocks in the fluid lines that got stuck, but then again it should melt ..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Maybe its possible the pump is really the culprit...

Sounds like an odd problem, but its such a small simple system its one of the few times you could pretty much throw a few bucks at it and prolly fix the problem. Perhaps at one point the washer fluid wasn't good, froze in the line, expanded and cracked it, and that's where the issue started. Usually tho you'd easily see it by the washer fluid leaking along the engine bay.

Does it only do the foaming when its really cold, or just in general?

Like I said tho, the pump you can get separately for $16-21 (not including S&H) on RockAuto and I'm sure elsewhere. Not sure how easy it is to gain access to replace it, but should be easy enough once ya do. Then just replace the lines for a few bucks as well to be on the safe side. An old school trick I've heard of is to wrap the lines a few times around a radiator hose and that'll heat up the fluid a bit too. Never tried it myself tho. I once had to take apart the washer nozzles on my Jetta in order to clear some debris that was mucking up the spray pattern. They weren't the prettiest afterwards from prying them apart but worked well afterward and if I really mussed 'em up its only a few bucks to replace those as well.

Still get a kick out of the "dipstick" for the windshield washer on these cars. First time I'd ever seen that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The pump is good, there is no leak (nothing appearing on the snow). Yesterday it was -11 so it worked well. But when it reaches -20 or less it freezes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
In your first post you said "I use -45 Celsius deicer fluid normally from october to april"
Are you using something else (water) in spring & summer? If so - you're topping up the reservoir with deicer fluid when it's half full of water? That would probably dilute it enough for it to freeze at colder temps.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
there is no leak (nothing appearing on the snow).
that is not proving anything. the lines for the washer fluid are far too high up and a leak may not reach the ground.

furthermore, they may only leak when the pump is pushing fluid out. that would happen when you're on the road and would be blown off by the time you get anywhere.

laziness won't solve the problem. do the leak search. your options are bad fluid, blocked line, or a leak somewhere. you've crossed blocked line and bad fluid off the list.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In your first post you said "I use -45 Celsius deicer fluid normally from october to april"
Are you using something else (water) in spring & summer? If so - you're topping up the reservoir with deicer fluid when it's half full of water? That would probably dilute it enough for it to freeze at colder temps.

Yes, this should be the problem. I should drain the remaining summer fluid before I put some winter fluid. I feel stupid that I even didn't think about this.

There is no leak, nothing is dripping and there is absolutely no fluid loss.

Thank you guys.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Currently filming a series on 2009 Hyundai accent GLS window washer system. I'm going to take users through the testing of all circuits. Removal and install of all washer system components and trouble shooting. Already released 2 videos. Interested sticky at top of forum on my Hyundai repair site. Its free might help you guys out who do not own the service tech manual.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts