Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to adjust the nozzle to raise the point where the jet hits the windshield? I did a search and a few things came up but no definitive yes or no.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I adjusted twice with my '07. It's not easy.

I used a small flat screw driver putting on the corner of the nozzle,
and several minor impacts with a small mallet.
go to the driver seat and spray to check the nozzle's angle,
and adjust little more...several times for one nozzle back and forth.
3 nozzles each sides take total 20~30 minutes.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Agreed .. these balls are able to be rotated a bit in the plastic housing, though as you say, it's with some force, and a good bit of trial and error. These aren't the sorts that will typically be moved simply with a needle, especially if they've been in place for good length of time. Fortunately, I've only had to do it once on one side to get a problem pattern sorted.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Haven't had to adjust them yet on the SF but on other cars, always had great success using a dentist "pick" tool kit. Up here in Canada, Princess auto sells a few kits for less than $10 and contains 3 to 7 picks (depending in the kit) with different bends on the pick end. Sturdy enough that it will not bend (like a needle would) when you apply pressure and long handle for easy control (again better than a needle). I would imagine Harbor Freight would sell a similar kit.

Here's the kit I have:
dental picks.jpg

6 pc Dental Pick Set | Princess Auto

Never knew dentist tools could be this useful around the garage! :D

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Haven't had to adjust them yet on the SF but on other cars, always had great success using a dentist "pick" tool kit. Up here in Canada, Princess auto sells a few kits for less than $10 and contains 3 to 7 picks (depending in the kit) with different bends on the pick end. Sturdy enough that it will not bend (like a needle would) when you apply pressure and long handle for easy control (again better than a needle). I would imagine Harbor Freight would sell a similar kit.

Here's the kit I have:
View attachment 103241

6 pc Dental Pick Set | Princess Auto

Never knew dentist tools could be this useful around the garage! :D
They are a great tool for a variety of things. $2.98 for a set of four at harbor freight on sale.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Princess Auto for the win! Dentist picks, who would have thought. Thanks Stef71. I'm in Ottawa every couple of weeks and I know exactly where it is. I always leave too much money there because it's a gearheads' candy store

·
Registered
538 Posts
Old school rule of thumb:
Adjust until the spray hits the top pf the windshield.
Then the spray will move lower as the cah is in motion.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have a 2007 and just used a push pin that had a fairly long point, it was enough to move he ball any way I wanted but still kept the hole small. I found that using tools with long points were difficult to angle the hole down low enough

·
Registered
709 Posts
I was thinking a hook whenever I pry the small o-ring of the engine oil filter.
I'll choose one of these with the comfortable grip in Canada stores.

Kobalt 4-Piece Hook and Pick Set $7 Free Shipping

Stanley 4 Piece Pick and Hook (82-115) | Walmart.ca $7
I almost bought something similar but I found the points were getting larger too quickly. Meaning that they would not go into the nozzle hole deep enough and would end up "stretching" the opening when adjusting and affecting the spray stream. I found the dentist picks better for that particular job as they are long and narrow and fit tightly in the whole without play. But that's my experience.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
I just used a needle to adjust them. I was a long process to get them right.
Did you do this fairly early on in the life of the vehicle? I tried the old needle trick a few years after the fact (probably 3 years) and just bent the needle. The balls were too tight to move with one.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I only did it last summer when I inherited the vehicle from my wife. I asked how long the washers have been mis-aimed and she said they were always like that! After 3 years they were tight to move but they moved. Once they were freed they were easy to move around.

I used a pretty shout needle :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just tried it with a push pin. What a pain in the butt and I still don't have it right. The nozzles move but unless you have something that fits the bore properly you don't know where the jet is going to go. I need to get the dentist picks other wise I'm going to blow a lot of -20 fluid all over the place.:(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it possible to adjust the nozzle to raise the point where the jet hits the windshield? I did a search and a few things came up but no definitive yes or no.
I only did it last summer when I inherited the vehicle from my wife. I asked how long the washers have been mis-aimed and she said they were always like that! After 3 years they were tight to move but they moved. Once they were freed they were easy to move around.

I used a pretty shout needle :)
I used a straight scribe. Worked like a champ !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts