Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living mostly in Central Florida, it is very hard finding washer fluid that goes down well below freezing. Most go to 32F and a very few down to 0F. Dealers, (not just Hyundai, but all brands) tend to fill with water and soap. (Hey, why winter fluid when you live in Florida <grin>.) When I was up in Western NY last September, I forgot to buy a few gallons. I need fluid that goes down to at least -20F because I sometimes must go North for family emergencies in the winter. (Not only will plain water not work in the cold, when it freezes, it breaks the washer pump and washer lines.)

Ok, I just found my local ACE Hardware had some fluid on sale, ($1.10 a gallon) that goes down to -25F. Bought 4 gallons.

Drained out the water/soap mixture. Then wanted to see if any message would show up. Started car and dash display says "Windshield Washer Fluid Low". Glad to see that it works. Then filled container with the -25 fluid.

Now I don't have to be afraid to go North for any family emergency.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Smart. Many do not remember to drain/siphon out the warm weather stuff before filling with the low temp. You get a gold star. :)

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
At some point climate is going to overwhelm the solvent advertised freeze point.. I just buy the yellow pee color PRESTONE window stuff and call it a day..

I suppose you could add Isopropyl alcohol to the mix.. Methanol is common ingredient for alcohol base, but too much make seriously flammable,, and corrosive at that too

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Years ago, I did use isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) in an emergency. Worked fine. Did not harm car. HOWEVER every time I used the washer, I'd smell the alcohol for a long time. (Liquid from windshield would settle over air intake vents and inside of car would stink of alcohol).

·
Registered
941 Posts
For the first time ever I tried the Prestone 3 season stuff.... advertised for -25F or whatever... I usually use RainX but wanted to give this stuff a try.............. it froze in the rear window washer line on my wife's Tucson.

Granted we were at 0F for a few days with negative wind chills and that line is not in a very well insulated area... but I've never had fluid freeze on me before.... also never had a car with a rear window washer so............ funny story!

·
Registered
176 Posts
My Elantra still has the fluid the dealer put in it when I bought it last April. On a recent cold morning, the left spray didn't work but the right did. By afternoon, it had warmed up enough that both worked. A couple days later, the left didn't work again but this time I could tell what type of fluid was in there. Each time I hit spray, the left nozzle looked like a blue snow cone machine. I thought if I kept hitting it, it would blow through. To my surprise, the blue ball just kept getting bigger. It melted overnight in the garage. I usually use Rain-X or Prestone. I was thinking about the alcohol after seeing an article about mixing isopropyl and water to make a deicer which worked good in the video. That is probably what is in the low temperature washer fluids.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts