Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Arizona is very hot and very sunny... And the laws are pretty loose,compared to other states. I called the tint shop and made an appointment for "legal windshield tint", which is allowed above the AS-1 line. This is inches below... I was a little shocked, but I really love it, and I'm hoping at worse, it would be a fix-it ticket.
20200520_170508.jpg

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
we also had our windshield tinted, but it is all clear. there are a couple of places that have 99% uv rejection, and i think 80% heat, might be less. but now it seems like the big deal is ir rejection. the dash cam is mounted high up, so we cant get the darker tint like you did. are you running a rexing v1?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I considered that, but settled on just the tint because of the dashcam (yes, it's a rexing v1) . Seen there could be issues, and I had a dashcam on my last car, which broke after a year, and I never replaced it. I was involved with a head on collision and luckily there were witnesses... So the dashcam is priority.

I of course had to move it lower, and I don't wear my sunglasses as much... :)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
i had rexings for years. i replace them with viofo 129 pro. i had the rexing 3rd gen, but i did not know they were not true 4k. the other reason is the polarizing filter, which the viofo has. makes a huge difference because of the glare. i still have one left, with a couple of the gps modules, and several hardwire kits with battery minders. if you want them, pm me your address, and i will send them

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i had rexings for years. i replace them with viofo 129 pro. i had the rexing 3rd gen, but i did not know they were not true 4k. the other reason is the polarizing filter, which the viofo has. makes a huge difference because of the glare. i still have one left, with a couple of the gps modules, and several hardwire kits with battery minders. if you want them, pm me your address, and i will send them
Thank you for the offer, but I'm good. And I'll definitely look into the viofo and see if it's worth the upgrade... All I knew was rexing, so that the only one I looked at. Again, thanks! 👍

·
Registered
2020 Sonata SEL Plus (+Tech Package)
417 Posts
Ok, Arizona is very hot and very sunny... And the laws are pretty loose,compared to other states. I called the tint shop and made an appointment for "legal windshield tint", which is allowed above the AS-1 line. This is inches below... I was a little shocked, but I really love it, and I'm hoping at worse, it would be a fix-it ticket.
Guys - can you help me with some tint questions....

@Bill Fletcher ... this is very interesting to me, especially being in AZ as well...

1) Do you notice it reduces the heat inside the car? Or mostly glare?
2) Do you notice the line, the point where the tint ends, while you drive? It looks very pronounced in the photo.
3) Would you mind telling me what you paid?

4) Your dashcam doesn't just melt off in July?

@hochiinn .... I called about doing what you did. Clear. I got one quote for $300. 3M Crystalline 70%. I don't know what the 70% is, heat or UV, Don't know about brands either. I am going to assume 70% heat. I stopped there because work got crazy. My only reason for doing it would be to reduce heat, easier to cool the car, etc. Do you think it really helps with that? Do you recall what you paid?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
i think the front windshield was 180, but that might have been because i had the whole car done. and the 70% is heat. most tint nowdays is 99% uv block, and until just recently, infa red has come into play. i think they are saying that ir rejection will reduce heat more. the front windshield tint will make a difference while you are in the car. if the car sits out in the sun, nothing will stop the heat. i can easily tell the difference when the car is going, with the a/c on. i just love the vented seats, too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@PaulQ 1) its definitely noticeable in heat reduction (in my few days), though could be a placebo affect...? and really noticeable in glare, haven't put sunglasses on since.
2) when I first get in my car, I'm like "woah", but while drive, I barely notice it and there's no impairment. I was concerned about that because I'm 6'6", so it should be better for the average size person.
3)I was surprised that it only cost $25. I also had the little A-frame windows in the front floors done too ($10)...not sure why those were not don't with the rest of the car.
4) My last dashcam had the suction cups, which fell off at time, but my car is mostly parked in a garage, and only exposed to the sun for appointments/shopping. This dashcam uses 3M tape and have had no issues.

Here is a pic of the front, which doesn't look as bad.
20200521_141531.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ten years ago, when we first moved to hot Texas, we had our cars side and back windows tinted. A few months later we were driving on Interstate 10 in Western Texas were the speed limit is 80mph and I was driving just at 80. With a large center divider I noticed a TX trouper car going the other way. A few minutes later he was behind me with his lights on. Since I wasn't speeding I was surprised. Turns out he said that my rear passenger windows were tinted TOO dark for a 4 door car!! HE said that the rear window can be solid as long as there are two side mirrors, but the side windows need to be so he can see who is inside. Like this cop could see my windows with both of us doing 80 (160 mph combined speed). I think he was just bored as so few drive that highway.

The tint shop was surprised. But did fix it for free. I feel the tint does help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since I've had this, I've been checking other cars and have see at least a handful with similar tint... So I know it's not legal, and I hope it's just a "we don't really enforce that" kinda thing. At worse I hope it's a fix-it ticket.

Btw @PaulQ there is a reflection from the dashboard, but it still doesn't seem to impare my driving.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Btw @PaulQ there is a reflection from the dashboard, but it still doesn't seem to impare my driving.
You mean you see a reflection of the infotainment system and neighboring dash in the windshield tint?

I am debating these options. I've been driving so little that I feel like I should wait.

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
346 Posts
Ten years ago, when we first moved to hot Texas, we had our cars side and back windows tinted. A few months later we were driving on Interstate 10 in Western Texas were the speed limit is 80mph and I was driving just at 80. With a large center divider I noticed a TX trouper car going the other way. A few minutes later he was behind me with his lights on. Since I wasn't speeding I was surprised. Turns out he said that my rear passenger windows were tinted TOO dark for a 4 door car!! HE said that the rear window can be solid as long as there are two side mirrors, but the side windows need to be so he can see who is inside. Like this cop could see my windows with both of us doing 80 (160 mph combined speed). I think he was just bored as so few drive that highway.

The tint shop was surprised. But did fix it for free. I feel the tint does help.
Oh how I hate the hypocrisy of those rules. I'm in PA and it's the same deal: SUVs, trucks and minivans can have the rear side windows tinted, but sedans can't. And it's justified by cops needing to see inside. If that's the case, I'd like them to explain why it's allowed on SUVs, trucks and minivans. Because that's completely hypocritical. If it's so important to see inside (and I'm quite happy to accommodate, by the way), then it should be illegal on ALL vehicles, not just sedans.

Then there's the fact that the car passes inspection every year and that dealers can sell them that way in PA, despite that rule, and I feel like I'm just a cash cow and that it's not really about safety. But I digress...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You mean you see a reflection of the infotainment system and neighboring dash in the windshield tint?

I am debating these options. I've been driving so little that I feel like I should wait.
I'm not able to see the infotainment, but I am able to see the dashboard. I can still see outside though.

I doubted it too... And I waited and looked at other cars. I didn't want this much tint, and asked when making my appointment to install legal tint. Someone missed the memo. But I like it a lot and have no regrets... It was cheap and I'm sure it's cheap to remove. You could also make sure they stay above the AS-1 line, which is about 4" above the sides of mine... It kinda has a frown shape, so if you want to be a lil conservative, ask for a straight line.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh how I hate the hypocrisy of those rules. I'm in PA and it's the same deal: SUVs, trucks and minivans can have the rear side windows tinted, but sedans can't. And it's justified by cops needing to see inside. If that's the case, I'd like them to explain why it's allowed on SUVs, trucks and minivans. Because that's completely hypocritical. If it's so important to see inside (and I'm quite happy to accommodate, by the way), then it should be illegal on ALL vehicles, not just sedans.

Then there's the fact that the car passes inspection every year and that dealers can sell them that way in PA, despite that rule, and I feel like I'm just a cash cow and that it's not really about safety. But I digress...
I'm sure those vehicles were placed in the "van" category, which they were probably allowed due to security issues while most vans were used for deliveries. I'm surprised that after all these years they haven't made it more fair. I couldn't imagine my car not tinted now... I moved to AZ from Boston, where they had stricted laws on sedans and loose laws on SUVs. Maybe not enough people comain...?

·
Registered
417 Posts
In terms of tinting, I think AZ has it good because of the extreme temps. This site gives a more detailed rundown of the tint law.

@Bill Fletcher - What do you think about that very last paragraph? I have never heard of any case where someone brought up window tint as a reason for an accident but I haven't heard about every case.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@PaulQ it was something I was concerned with when researching... And specifically asked for "legal tint", and once I got in the car, the "cool Bill" justified it... I probably should fix it. It will cost a lil more for the removal, but it may be worth it in the long run. And I know if it's above the AS-1 line, it will be good enough for me, being pretty tall.

Thanks for raining on my parade Paul... 😂👍

·
Registered
417 Posts
@PaulQ it was something I was concerned with when researching... And specifically asked for "legal tint", and once I got in the car, the "cool Bill" justified it... I probably should fix it. It will cost a lil more for the removal, but it may be worth it in the long run. And I know if it's above the AS-1 line, it will be good enough for me, being pretty tall.

Thanks for raining on my parade Paul... 😂👍
Oh man.... sorry about that (I know you're good but still). When I reread it the paragraph before posting it, I just read the first half and imagined looking back through the back windows or side windows and what a pedestrian would look like. Totally missed the front windshield part at the end. Yeah, didn't mean to knock you down there. FWIW, that's one site's interpretation so I would go with your research.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts