Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Santa Fe Sport Limited 2.0T AWD
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

Last week driving home from work, I had a large stone hit my windshield. It left a small chip along with a 1 cm crack (Star Break)

I took my Santa Fe into a local auto glass shop (Speedy Glass) this past Saturday and they repaired the crack with the glass resin-fill. Crack was gone. This repair was covered under my insurance with no deductible.

Not even a week later, I noticed this morning that the same crack was back. Same size but it appears its cracked in a different direction now???

I'm going to contact Speedy Glass to setup an appointment to see what they can do, as their warranty states that will repair or replace the defect part without charge, or if unable to fix/repair, they will refund the original purchase price.

I'm thinking that they are going to state that this crack can't be repaired and that I should get a new replacement windshield.

I'm located in Canada in the Mississauga area and I drive a 2009 Sante Fe.

Any idea what the going replacement cost would be for an OEM windshield?

Should I get a new windshield installed at Speedy or are there other recommended locations in the Mississauga area that I should have this done at. Is the dealership an option?

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just got off the phone with my local Hyundai dealer. They have quoted me $850 plus tax to get my windshield replaced. Ouch!

·
22,793 Posts
Call around to local glass shops for estimates. I'm not a bit surprised at that dealer quote. Guess what they are going to do? Call the cheapest glass replacement company to come out to the dealership and replace your windshield. Then, the dealer is going to "tack on" a little bit extra $$$$ for himself. You're basically paying him to pick up a phone and dial a number. I'd suggest you cut out the "middle man" (dealer) and take the lead by contracting it out yourself. Call some shops. Plus, you nor the car will be in the dealership all day. In most cases, you'll be in and out of the glass store in a couple of hours, tops.

Reactions: Tiger-Heli

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got off the phone with some local windshield replacement shops. Here's the quotes that I've received:

Continental Mobile Windshield = $325 installed with OEM (said replacement rubber would be replaced if needed).

Wizard Autoglass = $245 installed with heated OEM and would include replacement rubber.

Apple Autoglass = $440 installed with heated non-OEM (said replacement rubber would be replaced if needed). Said that true OEM is purchased from your dealership and that there's is made to spec by a reputable windshield manufacture.

So all of these non-dealership locations that mention that they provide you with an OEM replacement...is this truly a OEM replacement???

Anyone use the above non-dealership locations. Thoughts?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your response Okie Rich!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...Quick question.

Are the 2009 Santa Fe windshields considered to be known as heated windshields? I was told by all of the non-dealership locations that the replacement windshield would be a heated windshield???

Cheers!

·
22,793 Posts
Said that true OEM is purchased from your dealership and that there's is made to spec by a reputable windshield manufacture.

So all of these non-dealership locations that mention that they provide you with an OEM replacement...is this truly a OEM replacement???

Anyone use the above non-dealership locations. Thoughts?
Your OEM glass (lower corner-passenger side, I believe), reads: "Korea Glass." As long as the windshield is made to the exacting specifications and standards of the OEM's windshield, I don't see a problem. And if they provide you with an installation and product quality guarantee, I'd be okay with it. But, that's just me. Where does the dealer get yours when you drive in? The back room? Possibly. But doubtful. He would have to order it unless he has a ton of money to invest in replacement parts to sit around on shelves for who knows how long? Interesting theory that I can't prove or disprove.

If it was a fender, door, or quarter panel, I'd insist on Hyundai stamped sheet metal, not some knock-off generic part. Sometimes, parts aren't all alike.

Check to see if there are customer reviews on the above listed companies workmanship and service.

...Quick question.

Are the 2009 Santa Fe windshields considered to be known as heated windshields? I was told by all of the non-dealership locations that the replacement windshield would be a heated windshield???

Cheers!
Can't answer this one. Best left to the Santa Fe crowd. But if every one of the replacement shops are telling you this, they can't ALL be lying can they?

·
Registered
67 Posts
...Quick question.

Cheers!
I don't know about your model specifically, but some (Like my 2011 Limited) have a heater element where the wiper blades rest. This keeps them ice free and functional in the winter when the windshield could ice up.

·
Registered
2009 SF LTD 3.3
477 Posts
There is no aftermarket windshield that has the qualities of an OEM windshield.
For no car on the market.
You might be able to find an OEM windshield for much higher price.
As I remember - PHP (or else) brand -USA is the highest one could find for replacement.
Everybody claims their windshields are made with OEM specs-
pricing from $200 up to $450.
In Calgary - sanding streets is done with small rocks - chips and cracks are usual windshield condition. Unless you feel your safety is of concern - do not spend money on replacement - aftermarket windshield will fail much faster.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Elantra just crack on the passenger's side I asked speedy estimate $650 + tax to replace it but forget to asked if it is OEM or aftermarket windshield?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Here in Colorado, we have enough trouble with this that many companies offer 'zero deductible glass' coverage as part of their normal offerings. For me, it's always $0 + tax. You don't mention where you are in your profile (happens far too often here), so can't say if you could avail yourself of comparable coverage in your area. Something to consider.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So, the question is: do I go with Technaglass with a windshield manufactured to OEM specs, and pay considerably less, or shell out for OEM? If no aftermarket is as good as OEM, what are my risks?

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Haven't had a windshield replaced recently. Had a drivers door window replaced on the 2002 Ford Focus. Went through Safelite and pretty sure it was not OEM. There was some waviness in the replaced window that was not present in the other ones. It wasn't visible looking out of the window, but if you sighted down the side of the car from an angle you (at least I) could see it. It wasn't bad enough to make me have them replace it, but it wasn't as good as the other windows either.

·
Registered
2018 Sonata Limited 2.0T (Mfg:11/09/17)
425 Posts
The windscreen is an integral component when determining the vehicle's crash rating. I wouldn't scrimp on price and possibly loose that integrity by the windscreen popping out in a crash after a half-done installation. Check the installers' reputations (BBB, AAA, etc.) for their complaints, job performance, and 'returns for leakage', and let that determine who gets the job. IMHO!
And watch out for the 'oh by the way, you need' up-charges.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
My Elantra just crack on the passenger's side I asked speedy estimate $650 + tax to replace it but forget to asked if it is OEM or aftermarket windshield?
I've had several windshields replaced, and most were in the $200 to $260 area. That sounds high to me.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Have only had OEM glass installed once for a replacement windshield, but that's all that seemed to work in that instance. It was strange.

Owned an '88 Merkur Scorpio and had to have the windshield replaced. They came out (Safelite) and gave it some non-OEM glass. Within a day, the thing had cracked at the rear view mirror knob. So they came out and replaced it again, and darned if it didn't happen a 2nd time. Evidently some issue with the coefficient of expansion of glass vs. glued mirror knob creating a stress point when sitting in the hot sun.

They finally got a piece of OEM glass from Ford and that never gave me any additional trouble.

Loved that old Scorpio, but parts became to hard to obtain on this side of the Atlantic after a while.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I highly doubt they would ship Korean windshields over here for replacements. PPG makes a good windshield as do others. Main concern to watch for is distortion and uniformity. Every shop I have ever been around (GM, Hyundai, Toyota, Honda) calls in a glass shop to change a windshield. It's one of those jobs a dealer doesn't do enough of to be expert at the repair. Figure if a business does nothing but auto glass day in and day out, they should be good at it.

Neighbor had a windshield replaced in a Chevy Blazer and the surface was so warped the wiper wouldn't touch! I couldn't believe the windshield company actually installed it, you could see the "sag" in the glass!

They quickly replaced it with a good glass, and apologized.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Haven't had a windshield replaced recently. Had a drivers door window replaced on the 2002 Ford Focus. Went through Safelite and pretty sure it was not OEM. There was some waviness in the replaced window that was not present in the other ones. It wasn't visible looking out of the window, but if you sighted down the side of the car from an angle you (at least I) could see it. It wasn't bad enough to make me have them replace it, but it wasn't as good as the other windows either.
I had Safelite replace windshield on my pickup. It seemed every bit as good as the OEM. Good service, would go back. Could be luck of the draw.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts