Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
After 16 years on the road (and after owning this 2013 EGT for 6 of those years), it is finally time for me to replace my first windshield after the sun was beating on it all day yesterday and started forming a large crack around an old chip.

I wanted to ask for any tips from others who have had their windshield replaced on what specifically to look for when picking out a new windshield, and maybe any tips on how you ensure your install tech is doing the right job.

As for specifics on the windshield: I know that I want something with either equal or better UV/IR prevention (our OE windshield is "solar glass", which does have some UV filtering). Ideally, since these windshield slope so flat and I live in Phoenix, the windshield is a huge place to take in heat and I want to reduce that as much as reasonably possible. Is it cheaper to get the glass tinted before it's installed, or are any of you aware of glass shops that already make windshields that block out heat well? Also, the OE glass seems to do a terrible job at resisting chips, so that's another reason alone I might not want OE glass. What are others experiences here with aftermarket glass?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The crack is about 18-20 inches long already. It's L shaped, hanging right over the passenger side windshield wiper. I can take a picture when I get home!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Just go with OEM replacement. I was going to recommend a clear ceramic on the inside, but in some states that is illegal and depending on the quality it may have a grainy affect.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Check with your car insurance. Here in Florida, your car insurance company will pay to repair or replace your windshield, with no deductible. And not affect your rates.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I had mine replaced a few years ago now because of a concrete truck incident. Safelite did the work and at the time I told them I wanted OEM glass and they said well you may have to pay for the difference because the company would only pay for the cheapest option but luckily OEM was about $25 cheaper than the Safelite glass (or whatever brand they use). I have no complaints about the OEM glass.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
True story about Safelite and my hit or miss comment. Neighbor had the windshield replaced in his F150. John is a great guy, but not super attentive. A few days after the replacement it rained and he noticed the wipers were streaking really bad. Like a 4-6" band across the middle of the windshield. He changed the wiper blades, same problem. I went over to see what he was fussing about and noticed the windshield HAD A LOW SPOT right across the middle of the viewing area, left to right. So low the wiper blade wasn't even touching the glass!

Needless to say, Safelite replaced the windshield. :oops:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the input everyone. I'm finally getting it replaced by a company here locally tomorrow. Took me so long because I was travelling all over Asia for 3 weeks :p

Total will come out to 283 USD, there is an aftermarket version available that matches the same tint and black dot pattern as the glass for the panoramic roof model of the GT. Additionally, I confirmed that it came with extra solar protection just like the OEM solar glass as well. I'm not going to apply extra tint to it because that was too expensive (120USD) and I don't park the car out in the sun that often anyways.

FYI, I don't get glass coverage on my car, way to expensive IMO. I think last time I checked it was about 100/year for coverage, and since this is the first time I've replaced a windshield in 15 years of driving (and after 6 years of owning this car), I think the decision to not get the coverage is working out in my favor.

I'll post back later if I notice any big difference between OEM and aftermarket. As long as aftermarket doesn't chip like crazy I think I'll be happy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts