Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Sadly I must admit that I was the one who made this happen, however, I can't believe any fluid would clump up, almost slime like, oh well...)

So recently I decided to add some fluid to the windshield washer tank, but when I added some, a clump of slime fell right in. Needless to say I couldn't do much about it. Now I have no fluid running through the system. What could I do to purge the junk out of the system? And where is the pump that drives the system?

I figured out I would have to remove the bumper to get to this part (go me!) In theory I could take it up to the dealership and play stupid, but I would really hate to do that. (I'd feel guilty about it, and I'd have to wait on it to get fixed.)

·
22,788 Posts
Play stupid! It's worked for me after being married almost 42 years. And the dealer ain't half as smart as the Mrs. ;)

But I'm curious about this "slime" comment. Describe it? And the brand you're using? How old? The dealer can get that thing on a lift, look under, probably purge the lines, and have you out of there in no time and no cost if warranty is still in effect. Appointments are usually appreciated.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
You can remove the pump and drain the tank by pulling back the fog lamp access flap under the front bumper directly ahead of the right front wheel. A few things you should know before attempting this:

1. Do it outside. I only had to get a wet garage floor (slicker than ice, IMO) once to learn this.
2. You will get wet and there is NO way to get a bucket under there and catch all the fluid that will come out.
3. Make sure all the little gaskets and filters that are attached to the pump intake go back on as they like to go running when you pull it off and break the seal.

Best of luck! :thumbsup:

P.S. If all this seems like too much work, follow Rich's advice and play dumb while visiting your friendly dealer. ;)

P.P.S. Thanks for taking me back to a memory of a friend pouring a glass of apple juice that had a big (orange sized) ball of fuzzy mold floating in it. I can still hear the distinct 'plop' it made as it was transferred from the jug to the glass. :wacko:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Might try to flush it out with a hose through the filler cap and possibly dislodge/break down whatever is causing the blockage first.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Play stupid! It's worked for me after being married almost 42 years.
There goes the proverbial noseful of California Zinfandel all over my monitor. Well done, Rich. :trophy:

Back on topic, exactly what sort of fluid does one pour into a car that contains a "clump of slime"? Come on lifeblows, man up! :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
You can remove the pump and drain the tank by pulling back the fog lamp access flap under the front bumper directly ahead of the right front wheel. A few things you should know before attempting this:

1. Do it outside. I only had to get a wet garage floor (slicker than ice, IMO) once to learn this.
2. You will get wet and there is NO way to get a bucket under there and catch all the fluid that will come out.
3. Make sure all the little gaskets and filters that are attached to the pump intake go back on as they like to go running when you pull it off and break the seal.

Best of luck! :thumbsup:

P.S. If all this seems like too much work, follow Rich's advice and play dumb while visiting your friendly dealer. ;)

P.P.S. Thanks for taking me back to a memory of a friend pouring a glass of apple juice that had a big (orange sized) ball of fuzzy mold floating in it. I can still hear the distinct 'plop' it made as it was transferred from the jug to the glass. :wacko:
I installed some fog HIDs today and I unplugged the washer fluid plug and now no fluid comes out. I don't know where this plugs into, the plug just hangs next to my fog light. Could u post some pictures of where the plugs go?

·
22,788 Posts
Maybe some hot soapy water would dissolve the slime without doing any damage. Followed by a good rinse, of course.

Geoff
Not sure hot soapy water is the path you want to take. I recall someone on here saying the soap will clog the screen and you won't have any luck getting those nozzles to spray. Maybe the good rinse is the answer.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Called the dealer, and when I explained the issue they guy said "Yeah, that seems to be happening a lot with aftermarket fluid, where it sludges up. It will take about 20-30 minutes to get ya fixed up."

So.... Didn't have to play stupid at all! Getting it taken care of today. But that raises a question.... Why is it that RainX and whatever Hyundai uses doesn't sludge but the Peak Eco does? Interesting....

·
22,788 Posts
Didn't have to play stupid at all!
That's too bad. I do some of my best work around here using that crutch.

I have always used Rain-X since it came on the market. Just my personal choice. Never encountered any problems. The only time I ever had an issue with Rain-X was the time I had forgotten to restock and ran out.

If you still have some of the Peak Eco stuff, and want to continue using it: "Shake Well before using. Contents may have settled?" I'd give it away, pour it down the drain, and go get something else, IMO. You don't want this scene to recur.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's too bad. I do some of my best work around here using that crutch.

I have always used Rain-X since it came on the market. Just my personal choice. Never encountered any problems. The only time I ever had an issue with Rain-X was the time I had forgotten to restock and ran out.

If you still have some of the Peak Eco stuff, and want to continue using it: "Shake Well before using. Contents may have settled?" I'd give it away, pour it down the drain, and go get something else, IMO. You don't want this scene to recur.
I too typically use RainX, I think I bought the Peak Eco stuff because it was like $1 vs $3.50 at the time. But I dumped it as soon as I found out it sludged up. RainX is the only thing I will use now, even if it cost 3.50 a bottle.

·
22,788 Posts
I too typically use RainX, I think I bought the Peak Eco stuff because it was like $1 vs $3.50 at the time. But I dumped it as soon as I found out it sludged up. RainX is the only thing I will use now, even if it cost 3.50 a bottle.
Just give up one (1) Starbucks' "Triple Latte, 3 shots, no foam, extra whipped cream" and you're ahead of the game. :wink2:

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I don't have a particular brand, I buy anything I can find depending where I am when I run out. The only thing I have to be careful is not using summer formula fluid in winter. During the cold season I always buy the -40°C formula, don't want the reservoir to crack because of frozen fluid.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just give up one (1) Starbucks' "Triple Latte, 3 shots, no foam, extra whipped cream" and you're ahead of the game. :wink2:
Ironically I work at one. (Inside Target, still a licensed store though.)

Got it taken care of, they were going to charge me $75 bucks, which I was just going to pay, but then he said "Actually, I'm just going to charge you 45, for an hour of labor."

Long story short I learned my lesson.

·
22,788 Posts

Got it taken care of, they were going to charge me $75 bucks, which I was just going to pay, but then he said "Actually, I'm just going to charge you 45, for an hour of labor."

Glad it's a done deal. And $45 for a hour's labor seems reasonable to me. I don't think our Hyundai dealership in Oklahoma City is anywhere close to that price. Could be, I don't know. I don't let them touch Ingrid anywhere except during her oil/filter changes. Or warranty work.

·
Registered
306 Posts

NY dealers hour labor $ 108

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi all,

Had the same problem with a new jug of fluid from Advance. Big splop as I poured I the fluid. OS, what now? Got out the shop vac and a long piece of 3/8 transmission line. Sucked all the mess out of the reservoir. Thankfully I noticed it go in, so I never had an issue with it clogging the pump, lines etc.

Jim

1 - 20 of 34 Posts