Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. I'm at 3,200 miles on my 2010 Santa Fe and all is going well except for the fact that every now and again, the interior windows fog up. And I'm not talking about regular fog...this stuff has earned the nickname of ninja fog because it comes out of nowhere and it's impossible to get rid of. It's only happened twice but it doesn't indicate a fault of the automatic climate control. The first time was my fault. I was behind an old Thunderbird and hit the recirculate button to get the stink out. I passed the 'Bird but forgot to turn it back to fresh. The fog was so heavy that it took running the defrost on full blast for 15 MINUTES to clear it.

It happened again tonight but came totally unprovoked. I keep the system on automatic and set between 70 and 74ºF and tonight I had it set on Auto at 72 when it happened. I was sitting at a red light and all of a sudden, POOF! There it was. Came literally out of nowhere and after running the defrost on high for the rest of the drive home, even the passenger front window was barely half-clear. I noticed the outside temperature gauge went from 44º to 41º very quickly so I'm wondering if a quick external temperature loss causes the relatively warm inside of the glass to fog up.

My old Santa Fe never did this and even my old '93 Toyota Previa which was a greenhouse of glass never had it this bad. Anybody else notice this?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have been experiencing this too and it's quite frustrating. Actually, the entire climate control system has been perplexing to me. (like when it on it's own started putting out heat for the very first time, in September! I usually don't even THINK of heat until December. )

I guess I just have to dedicate some time on a weekend and read and fiddle with the controls to understand this thing.

Loving the 2010 Santy but missing his 1999 Explorer climate controls,

Mike

·
Registered
39 Posts
We had this exact issue and it was intermittent. One minute it would be great and then all of a sudden, thick fogged windows. It seemed to happen more when it was raining. If we shut the truck off and back on, the issue was gone.

Check your A/C switch light when you have the front defrost active. Is it on? If not check your manual on how to turn the defrost logic on (ours magically turned itself off once and I forget now the steps I did to turn it back on). If the A/C is on, then it was doing the same thing as ours and NOT turning the A/C system actually on to help dry out the air in the car. Ours finally failed for the dealer (took 2 trips to get it) and it was the interior temperature sensor.. We have the auto climate control, just like you and it did NOT report any codes when it acted up.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (2010RedLimitedAWD @ Nov 18 2010, 01:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372844
We had this exact issue and it was intermittent. One minute it would be great and then all of a sudden, thick fogged windows. It seemed to happen more when it was raining. If we shut the truck off and back on, the issue was gone.

Check your A/C switch light when you have the front defrost active. Is it on? If not check your manual on how to turn the defrost logic on (ours magically turned itself off once and I forget now the steps I did to turn it back on). If the A/C is on, then it was doing the same thing as ours and NOT turning the A/C system actually on to help dry out the air in the car. Ours finally failed for the dealer (took 2 trips to get it) and it was the interior temperature sensor.. We have the auto climate control, just like you and it did NOT report any codes when it acted up.
Both times it has happened to me it has been raining. I suppose it also bears mentioning I had just gone through the Burger King drive-thru about ten minutes before but I wiped the rain from the door sill with a napkin as soon as I got the bag. I thought the A/C might have something to do with it so I manually activated it (light on). It didn't help.

If it happens again, I'll see the dealer about it.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Red...it happened again tonight and at the most inopportune moment. I was on the freeway in the pouring down rain at about 60-65 mph when the windows fogged up again. I ran the defrost on HIGH again and this time, it caused the windows to fog up even more. That's not exactly what you call confidence inspiring in what could only be described as a deluge. I tried your trick and safely pulled to the shoulder, shut the car off, and turned it back on. Within 2 minutes, the windows were clear!

I left the dealer a message and will be taking it in as soon as possible. This has now become a safety issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Nov 19 2010, 01:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372926
Red...it happened again tonight and at the most inopportune moment. I was on the freeway in the pouring down rain at about 60-65 mph when the windows fogged up again. I ran the defrost on HIGH again and this time, it caused the windows to fog up even more. That's not exactly what you call confidence inspiring in what could only be described as a deluge. I tried your trick and safely pulled to the shoulder, shut the car off, and turned it back on. Within 2 minutes, the windows were clear!

I left the dealer a message and will be taking it in as soon as possible. This has now become a safety issue.
I hear you. Ours did it too the last time in pitch black, pouring rain. I called the dealer right away since they told me to take it to them right away if it did it again (everytime it did it they were closed or we were far away). When I called, service was closed. I told them they told me to bring it by when it was doing it regardless and they tried to tell me to bring it back in the morning. I told them that the problem will be gone once I shut the truck off. The lady in warranty claims told me she wasn't too concerned and to drop it off in the morning. I Told her this is not safe to drive as I cannot see. I threatened to pull the truck over and call the roadside assistance. She had me bring it in and gave me a loaner. I guess that temp sensor must have finally went as they nailed it this time. Haven't seen the issue since. Took a week to get the part in though.. Be warned...

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ugh. It did it yet again today and I was able to make an appointment with the dealer. The only problem is they can't fit me in until the Monday AFTER Thanksgiving. I'm getting very tired of having to pull over and cycle the ignition just to get my defrost to work. Who wants to bet they won't find anything wrong?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Sounds like you've got ghosts in your climate control system for sure. One of the reasons I've always preferred a good old fashioned "AC" button. :p

Long shot here, but have you thoroughly cleaned the glass with glass cleaner? Even brand-new cars are sometimes delivered with a nasty film on the glass that turns dangerously opaque in humid conditions. When my windshield is really difficult to clear with the vents, and napkins seem to help, the problem is solved with 2-3 applications of Invisible Glass and lots of clean paper towels. Microfiber towels also do a nice job.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yes. You should have seen it when I picked it up in Seattle for the dealer trade. It was so hazy from that film I was very happy to have the sun go away during the drive back. The first thing I did when I got home was clean the glass. In fact I cleaned it just a few days ago.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Seems the plastic from dashboards has been out-gassing since they first installed one in a car. Creates a haze on new windshields that is rivaled only by putting Armor-All on the dash (I learned about that the hard way). My '08 SF only took about a month to settle down, though - but we have pretty intense sun here in Colorado, and it doesn't take long to "cure" :grin:

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shortly after making an appointment with the dealer, the problem went away so I canceled the appointment and it didn't come back until tonight. I was driving home in a light shower and had the system set on AUTO at 72ºF. Per the screen, it was on blend mode (panel and floor) with the fan at notch 3 and I couldn't help but notice the air coming out of the dash vents was very muggy, not unexpected given the precipitation we've had over the past few days. I punched the A/C button and it didn't make a lick of difference so I pulled off the main drag and into a neighborhood. I popped the hood and left the engine running while I toyed with the climate controls. Nothing I did could make the A/C compressor click on and off, not even by pushing the A/C button. Even with the temperature set to LO, it was blowing out only mildly cool air. But whaddya know, as soon as I turned the engine off and turned it back on again, I heard that magical 'click' of the A/C compressor engaging and the windows defrosted almost immediately.

Now that I have something for my dealer to go on, I'm going to let them have a go at it. I thought I'd post this for others having the same issue. Next time it happens to you, pop the hood and listen to see if the A/C compressor engages when it's supposed to.

·
Registered
947 Posts
That is a frustrating one. I'm not an a/c expert, but maybe one of the pressure switches isn't cycling the a/c compressor like they should? Your evaporator core could be icing up excessively before the compressor has a chance to kick off, then you'd get the wet blast of air in the time that it takes to defrost the evaporator. Another possibility is a set of relay contacts that wont always release on command and keep that compressor running too long.

Just throwing some stuff out there. Hopefully a really good automotive HVAC person can figure this out.

Joel

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not sure how Hyundai's system compares to VW's....

However I know sometimes the flap that diverts outside and inside air sometimes gets stuck open or closed which can cause this issue. Also, if using the AC to reduce fogged windows, you don't want to set it to cold but to warm/hot. A/C isn't just for cold, but removes moisture from the air. Warmer air can hold more moisture so if you pump dry warmer air into the cabin the fog will clear faster.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My car FINALLY did this when my dealer was open so I made a bee-line for the service department. The tech confirmed no A/C compressor engagement even with the defrost and/or A/C light on and is currently looking at it. Hopefully we can finally get down to the bottom of this.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We have identified the culprit!!! :grin: The climate control panel is to blame for not communicating to the A/C compressor to engage so the part has been ordered. On the downside, I'm rolling in a Dodge Grand Caravan until my car is done. :dry:

·
Registered
9 Posts
keep us posted, i've had this twice since new from June. Other issue i had all winter was that the windscreen was often more frozen on the inside than it was on the outside over the winter - maybe that's just Scotland for you, but it didn't seem right

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE (gd23 @ Mar 1 2011, 04:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=408885
keep us posted, i've had this twice since new from June. Other issue i had all winter was that the windscreen was often more frozen on the inside than it was on the outside over the winter - maybe that's just Scotland for you, but it didn't seem right

Nope, here in cold snowy New Brunswick Canada, this often happens.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The part is unavailable and won't be until March 15th at the earliest. :evil:

I am done putting up with this car and it's constant trouble. I am going to speak with the regional rep tomorrow and if they cannot get the part in any sooner, it will sit at the dealer until the part comes in. I already have 15 days out of service and once I hit 30 days total, the car is considered a lemon by Oregon law and can be bought back or replaced. Either way, I'm done.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Interesting to follow your posts, Andrew.

Love my SF / Hate my SF / Best value / Piece of crap / Love it / Hate it.

I guess this is a classical love / hate relationship.

All kidding aside. I feel for you.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts