Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice in the past few weeks my Sonata's windows were covered in moisture so bad I had to use paper towels on every window to be able to see out of it , even had to wipe up water dripping onto the dash board, took it back to the dealer and of course they couldn't find anything wrong. I purchased the car in April, now has 3,000 miles on it, I'm thinking that the change in the weather (cold nights) are why this has now shown up. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Are you leaving the "Recirculate" air on? I dont have a Sonata yet, so I dont know the options, but most cars have a "Recirc" or a "Max" setting that can cause your windows to moisten up in cooler weather.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I hope this is the outside windows, if so I have experienced this many times with different cars in tjhe past 45 years of driving after a heavy rain or very heavy moisture in the air is the cause also temp can make a difference. If inside you may have problem. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
623 Posts
QUOTE (rinkleroot @ Oct 11 2010, 12:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362710
Twice in the past few weeks my Sonata's windows were covered in moisture so bad I had to use paper towels on every window to be able to see out of it, took it back to the dealer and of course they couldn't find anything wrong. I purchased the car in April, now has 3,000 miles on it, I'm thinking that the change in the weather (cold nights) are why this has now shown up. Anyone else experience this?
Wait... moisture on the outside of the windows from a cold night? Really? This hasn't happened to you in every other car?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (BoyRoy @ Oct 11 2010, 03:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362724
I hope this is the outside windows, if so I have experienced this many times with different cars in tjhe past 45 years of driving after a heavy rain or very heavy moisture in the air is the cause also temp can make a difference. If inside you may have problem. :thumbsup:
Its on the inside and its only happened after the car has been sitting overnight, it could have happened more and I didn't see it because I don't drive it every day.

·
Registered
597 Posts
QUOTE (rinkleroot @ Oct 11 2010, 01:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362710
Twice in the past few weeks my Sonata's windows were covered in moisture so bad I had to use paper towels on every window to be able to see out of it, took it back to the dealer and of course they couldn't find anything wrong. I purchased the car in April, now has 3,000 miles on it, I'm thinking that the change in the weather (cold nights) are why this has now shown up. Anyone else experience this?
Um, let's get some more info...

Covered in moisture - ok, inside or outside?
What was the temperature outside?
What was the relative humidity?

Without this basic info it's difficult to say.

However, you said that the nights have been cold - cold surface and moist air causes condensation. For example, cold car, get in car and the inside gets wet - normal occurance from your breathing and body. Tip: turn on the front window defroster to "3" bring in fresh air (Not recirc) and crack open a side window about 1/2" or so.

I've actually had the interior get DRIPPING wet in the middle of the hot summer...running A/C, got interior "cold" (compared to outside) then ran into a hard rain storm - interior became wet - EVERYTHING - within one minute. Had to turn on the heat to stop the condensation!

Regards,
GEWB

·
Registered
623 Posts
Silly question, but did you make sure your windows were rolled up all the way? sometimes even if they are barely down the cold air will get in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Um, let's get some more info...

Covered in moisture - ok, inside or outside?
What was the temperature outside?
What was the relative humidity?

Without this basic info it's difficult to say.

However, you said that the nights have been cold - cold surface and moist air causes condensation. For example, cold car, get in car and the inside gets wet - normal occurance from your breathing and body. Tip: turn on the front window defroster to "3" bring in fresh air (Not recirc) and crack open a side window about 1/2" or so.

I've actually had the interior get DRIPPING wet in the middle of the hot summer...running A/C, got interior "cold" (compared to outside) then ran into a hard rain storm - interior became wet - EVERYTHING - within one minute. Had to turn on the heat to stop the condensation!

Regards,
GEWB
[/quo

Okay, I get in the car to go to work in the morning and the Inside of All of the windows are covered in moisture (Dripping Water) , all of the windows were up, I don't know what the temps or the humidity was on those nights but I can guess the low temp was around 45.

·
Registered
597 Posts
QUOTE (rinkleroot @ Oct 11 2010, 01:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362738
QUOTE (gewb @ Oct 11 2010, 03:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362732
Tip: turn on the front window defroster to "3" bring in fresh air (Not recirc) and crack open a side window about 1/2" or so.

Okay, I get in the car to go to work in the morning and the Inside of All of the windows are covered in moisture (Dripping Water) , all of the windows were up, I don't know what the temps or the humidity was on those nights but I can guess the low temp was around 45.
[/quote]

OK, thanks - try the tip I gave - fresh air (no recirc), defroster on "3" (or higher) and crack open a front side window.

Regards,
GEWB

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (gewb @ Oct 11 2010, 03:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362741

OK, thanks - try the tip I gave - fresh air (no recirc), defroster on "3" (or higher) and crack open a front side window.

Regards,
GEWB
Sorry but I don't follow your logic, the car was parked overnight when this happened.

·
Registered
817 Posts
QUOTE (rinkleroot @ Oct 11 2010, 03:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362738
Sounds like what happens in any car during a damp night if a window is left open, the sunroof not closed, or a convertible is left with the top down.

Moist air is getting in somewhere.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Earth science is a wonderful thing.. evaporation, condensation, humidity, relative temperature, barometric pressure, altitude, and all kinds of other neat things. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
264 Posts
sounds like you left a basket of wet laundry inside the car for that much condensation. check the trunk too, see if something spilled back there

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
maybe the drain hose for the ac is blocked/kinked and it's retaining the water or if theres enough water over flowing from the system, the carpets could be moist under the mats and causing the humidity when it sits over night.

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE (rinkleroot @ Oct 11 2010, 12:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362710
Twice in the past few weeks my Sonata's windows were covered in moisture so bad I had to use paper towels on every window to be able to see out of it , even had to wipe up water dripping onto the dash board, took it back to the dealer and of course they couldn't find anything wrong. I purchased the car in April, now has 3,000 miles on it, I'm thinking that the change in the weather (cold nights) are why this has now shown up. Anyone else experience this?
Hey rinkleroot, did you every figure out what was up with the condensation??? We just bought a Sonata 3 days ago and noticed that whenever we have left it outside for a little while it gets pretty bad inside. Even for half an hour the windows will start to fog up. The one time we left it outside in the rain for a few hours there was so much condensation on the inside of the windows it seemed like the water was going to start dripping.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I have started to notice that my back windshield is doing this. Durning the winter, it did it but it was during rapid cooling days so I blew it off.

Well the temperature extremes are gone now and its still doing this. I have a suspicion there is a seal in the trunk thats not "as good" and moisture is creeping up from the trunk cavity through the rear window parcel shelf. Its really damp near the meeting of the parcel shelf and window. Its hard to tell if the parcel shelf is wet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My girlfriend has an issue similar to this with her 09 Elantra. It can be many days before she drives her car (we usually take mine) and after a few rainy days with no one getting in the car and the windows up she comes out and there is so much condensation on the windows that it drips and onto her floor mats.

When it last happened last week the temp was has been between 8-16C. The dealership has looked at her car and didn't find anything wrong unfortunately.

We first noticed this back in Jan-Feb and it is still happening now. It is almost like something isn't sealed properly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts