Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 08 SE and the window tint on the hatch is starting to bubble up. This is the tint that came with the car, I presume from the factory.

I have only 15k miles on it. Is this something that would be covered under the warranty?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
How dark is your glass?  The reason I ask is because if it is dark, then that is not factory and was likely a dealer add-on. I've seen a lot of dealers do this...

Our windows come very, very lightly tinted from the factory (something in the order of 70%) - practically clear. The factory tint is in glass itself (instead of on it) and shouldn't be bubbling up but if it is, then it's definitely a warranty claim.  If you have a darker aftermarket film, you're at the mercy of whoever installed it.  Check with the dealer that sold you the car and see what they say!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (hoosieraccent @ Jul 1 2010, 03:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337960
How dark is your glass?  The reason I ask is because if it is dark, then that is not factory and was likely a dealer add-on. I've seen a lot of dealers do this...

Our windows come very, very lightly tinted from the factory (something in the order of 70%) - practically clear. The factory tint is in glass itself (instead of on it) and shouldn't be bubbling up but if it is, then it's definitely a warranty claim.  If you have a darker aftermarket film, you're at the mercy of whoever installed it.  Check with the dealer that sold you the car and see what they say!
Oh, it's pretty dark. I wasn't sure if it was tinted because it was an SE, or because the dealer put it on. I'll check back with the dealer. I had my Elantra tinted after-market and it was a superior job...didn't bubble up, even under 100+ degrees. But this stuff....I'm disappointed with it.

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
From some of the tint jobs I've seen the dealers put on, I have to wonder if they're farmed out to the lowest bidder...  Not up to my standards at least. :mellow:

Worst comes to worst, perhaps a reputable tint shop can redo it for a reasonable fee.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
From what I've gathered from the last 2 years of serious research into QUALITY tint jobs... unless you PERSONALLY know the tinter, for a quality tint job, you're looking at NO LESS than $175 for quality tint like LLumar or SolarGard. Of course, if you know the tinter, you may be able to get it done for much less, as most of that price is labor. Typically, any $99 tint specials you see are the crappiest tint money can buy put on by the crappiest tinter known to man. They will bubble, severely discolor, or peel.

Unfortunately, the few dealerships that do have the cars on their lot window tinted use crappy tint and inexperienced noobs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (bloodninja @ Jul 1 2010, 08:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338070
From what I've gathered from the last 2 years of serious research into QUALITY tint jobs... unless you PERSONALLY know the tinter, for a quality tint job, you're looking at NO LESS than $175 for quality tint like LLumar or SolarGard. Of course, if you know the tinter, you may be able to get it done for much less, as most of that price is labor. Typically, any $99 tint specials you see are the crappiest tint money can buy put on by the crappiest tinter known to man. They will bubble, severely discolor, or peel.

Unfortunately, the few dealerships that do have the cars on their lot window tinted use crappy tint and inexperienced noobs.
The last place I used was about $150-175 and did a quality job used 3M Color-Stable film and offered a warranty for as long as I owned the car. I will probably go back there if I don't get satisfaction from the dealer.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I would say that the tint is a dealer add on.
When I worked for a Hyundai dealership all their cars had dealer added tint which bumped the sticker price up a couple hundred dollars.
You can try going back to the dealer and see if they can retint it for you...however if not, you'll have to find another shop to do it.
I need to get mines retinted because I loaded the hatch up too much and some tiny got scratched off. The only thing I'm worried about is the possible problem
with removing it because of the rear defrost lines.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
I've seen rear window mesh becoming much more popular in recent months with luxury cars for that exact reason. It's just as effective but is not permanent, so it won't affect the rear defrosting lines. You can still tint all the other windows though, since they won't be damaged when the tint is removed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts