Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
i have to admit, I find it interesting that most reviews I've heard comment both on the Sonata's "disconnected feel" from the steering and suspension because I do not experience either in my SE. Perhaps Hyundai should only be sending SE's to the reviewers? And same about the transmission. In fact, I am quite amazed at how smooth my SE shifts gears. I have never had a care that shifted this smooth and I've owned quite a few BMW's, a couple Audi's and even a Mercedes Benz and the SE's tranny by far out shines them all. Granted I have not driven the latest dual clutch setups in the newer BMWs or Audi's however, the Sonata is still a good ride.

·
Registered
143 Posts
QUOTE (Shoot2Thrill @ Jun 9 2010, 10:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331545
Kizashi very interesting
Similar to the Sonata, I have not seen a bad review yet for the Kizashi. I plan on driving one before I take the plunge.

I'm still leaning 90% towards the Sonata though. The styling is a clear winner over the Kizashi in my book.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The Kizashi seems to be a huge step forward for Suzuki and I'll admit, it gives you a lot of neat features for the money and its not a bad looking car, but to me, it shouldnt quite compete with the Sonata. For one, its smaller and also, every Kizashi model seems to be more "sport" oriented. Im not saying that in a bad way, but I dont see the Kizashi appealing to too many grocery getters and soccer moms. The Sonata is a much more well rounded car that will appeal to a wider market segment.

·
Registered
78 Posts
QUOTE (Doc_V @ Jun 10 2010, 12:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331566
i have to admit, I find it interesting that most reviews I've heard comment both on the Sonata's "disconnected feel" from the steering and suspension because I do not experience either in my SE. Perhaps Hyundai should only be sending SE's to the reviewers? And same about the transmission. In fact, I am quite amazed at how smooth my SE shifts gears. I have never had a care that shifted this smooth and I've owned quite a few BMW's, a couple Audi's and even a Mercedes Benz and the SE's tranny by far out shines them all. Granted I have not driven the latest dual clutch setups in the newer BMWs or Audi's however, the Sonata is still a good ride.
I definitely understand where reviewers are coming from when they talk about the disconnected feel. In a Limited or GLS, you may as well be steering a video game steering wheel. The SE is a lot better from an enthusiast point of view. As for the transmission gripes, I have no clue. My Sonata has the smoothest, most responsive auto transmission I've ever owned.

·
Registered
816 Posts
QUOTE (Phil the Canuck @ Jun 10 2010, 09:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331614
I definitely understand where reviewers are coming from when they talk about the disconnected feel. In a Limited or GLS, you may as well be steering a video game steering wheel. The SE is a lot better from an enthusiast point of view. As for the transmission gripes, I have no clue. My Sonata has the smoothest, most responsive auto transmission I've ever owned.
Could it be the tires? It's amazing what influence they have on steering!

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (Pelican @ Jun 10 2010, 10:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331641
I bet it has more to do with removing hydrolic steering. My MR2 is electo-hydrolic (No power steering pump on the engine) and I get great feedback. My wifes Rav is ELECTRIC steering and its vague and numb. Some things I guess get given up in the quest for MPG. *shrug*

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Jun 10 2010, 10:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331642
I bet it has more to do with removing hydrolic steering. My MR2 is electo-hydrolic (No power steering pump on the engine) and I get great feedback. My wifes Rav is ELECTRIC steering and its vague and numb. Some things I guess get given up in the quest for MPG. *shrug*
I'm used to road feel/feedback being that I own two 1995 Acura Legends and have owned BMW's and a Lexus GS400 past tense. All of these cars exhibit a ton of road feel/feedback which on NYC streets does not work for me. I would rather have numb feeling which is one thing the SE has which I love...that and the lack of the power steering pump whine when u go on a full tilt turn.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Not sure how the other owners feel but I now realize that I have already adjusted to the rather numb feel of the steering on the Limited. The first day it bothered me a bit but I am now so used to it that I actually enjoy it. I guess one develop a feel for the feedback that the car provides.

As far as the transmission goes - I dont know what the reviewers are talking about - this car has some of the smoothest transmissions that I have ever driven

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jun 10 2010, 11:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331647
I'm used to road feel/feedback being that I own two 1995 Acura Legends and have owned BMW's and a Lexus GS400 past tense. All of these cars exhibit a ton of road feel/feedback which on NYC streets does not work for me. I would rather have numb feeling which is one thing the SE has which I love...that and the lack of the power steering pump whine when u go on a full tilt turn.
As the technology progresses I bet we will get more feel. This is in its infancy.

·
Banned
630 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
QUOTE (Pelican @ Jun 10 2010, 09:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331641
Interesting point. Now that you mention it, when I got my Sonata, all the tires had almost 10lbs. psi too much and the ride *was* a bit "floaty". Took the air out and problem fixed! Now it handles *very* well. Not as good as my Z4 mind you, but it's constantly surprising me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm also confused about their transmission complaints. I haven't owned that many cars but my Sonata's transmission is the smoothest I have ever experienced. Maybe they got a car
with a bad tranny.

I don't know

·
Registered
589 Posts
Tranny is not as refined as a Honda, but that's not a big deal at all. The big deal to me is its reluctance to downshift unless you prod the throttle a lot more than you should. Wish it had a 'power' mode with a more aggressive program. Not only to downshift more readily, but to avoid lugging the engine at 1,500 rpm even on uphill roads. And yes, I end up using the badly designed manual mode, which hits the boot's frame when downshifting, requiring a strong pull (plus you don't feel the lever 'click'). A design flaw I plan to mention on the 'think tank'. Later.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jun 10 2010, 02:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331727
I don't plan on getting another Hyundai so...... :D
It not just Hyundai that does this. Many manufactures are doing it.

Those of you that are saying that the Tranny is smooth, are you dogging on it? Do any of you have many hills? Thay are not complaining about smooth, they are complaining about incorrect shifts IE: Holding a high gear to long when a down shift is necessary and other such natures.

·
Registered
143 Posts
QUOTE (wozzy @ Jun 10 2010, 05:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331800
I'm also confused about their transmission complaints. I haven't owned that many cars but my Sonata's transmission is the smoothest I have ever experienced. Maybe they got a car
with a bad tranny.

I don't know
I'm with you on this. No complaints regarding the transmission here. Maybe we just need to drive more cars (or they need to drive less cars). Also in regards to the floaty feeling, I bought the SE because I wanted a little more road feel. All in all I would rate it good considering it has electric driven PS.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Jun 11 2010, 07:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331959
It not just Hyundai that does this. Many manufactures are doing it.

Those of you that are saying that the Tranny is smooth, are you dogging on it? Do any of you have many hills? Thay are not complaining about smooth, they are complaining about incorrect shifts IE: Holding a high gear to long when a down shift is necessary and other such natures.
my Sonata SE has no issues yet...but I don't daily drive her either....Hyundai has definitely come along way, but still not near Honda or Toyota quality IMHO...

I actually prefer the old technology but with less maintenance involved (which is impossible with a used car)

I'd drive my legend over my sonata any day of the week (which I do) and my legend is 15 yrs old, with 147k on the odo

1 - 20 of 20 Posts