Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the Limited in today for service on the wind noise. It was also a VERY windy day here in NJ. The tech could hear it at speeds below 50 mph, mentioned something about the Palisade having a similar issue and spent the afternoon working on it, taping here, there (and maybe everywhere). Couldn't get the noise to abate. He then drove another model on the the lot and it produced the same issue. He will be putting a call into the Hyundai Tech line next week and I'm supposed to drop it off for a day (or two) after he hears back from Hyundai.
Sounds like this is a new model issue that will hopefully be addressed by Hyundai and fingers-crossed a TSB will be issued. Until then, the radio will just be turned up a bit louder.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata SEL Plus (+Tech Package)
464 Posts
I thought I was crazy. Hearing the noise.

Ugh. Well, at least it's actually a thing and will hopefully get addressed. Thanks!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I was crazy. Hearing the noise.

Ugh. Well, at least it's actually a thing and will hopefully get addressed. Thanks!
Yep, Hyundai National office is now involved to work with the dealership to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata SEL Plus (+Tech Package)
464 Posts
Yep, Hyundai National office is now involved to work with the dealership to resolve the issue.
Does that mean it will get beamed to all the Hyundai dealerships or just be an exchange between your dealership and Hyundai?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does that mean it will get beamed to all the Hyundai dealerships or just be an exchange between your dealership and Hyundai?
Not sure. I recommend you get a case ticket from Hyundai and make an appointment as well to get your dealership involved. It sounds like it's a process that needs to be followed. Everyone has to justify their job, I suppose.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When I took a test drive of a Limited I clearly heard excessive wind noise around the driver's door when hitting ~50MPH and higher speeds.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I did not notice this on 2 test drives of 2 different 2020 Sonata's. Is it noticeable with the radio on or are you specifically listening for it while driving? I'll be picking mine up later this week and am curious to see if I hear anything abnormal.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did not notice this on 2 test drives of 2 different 2020 Sonata's. Is it noticeable with the radio on or are you specifically listening for it while driving? I'll be picking mine up later this week and am curious to see if I hear anything abnormal.
Yes. Once you hear it, you are not able to NOT hear it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
A lot of the online reviews have been commenting about how the cabin is loud. Hopefully Hyundai addresses this issue the wind noise issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A lot of the online reviews have been commenting about how the cabin is loud. Hopefully Hyundai addresses this issue the wind noise issue.
I actually found it pretty quiet and well isolated until it hit ~50 MPH and then the wind noise became an obvious annoyance.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The car is weird in that way. Driving around town the cabin is very quiet. I don't hear much noise coming from outside. I also don't really notice the wind noise until about 65-70mph... but it is definitely there.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I did my best to hear something excessive on my long highway ride in today...and heard nothing unusual. At least there's nothing extra from the driver's side compared to the other side.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did my best to hear something excessive on my long highway ride in today...and heard nothing unusual. At least there's nothing extra from the driver's side compared to the other side.
Maybe the driver's side door/window person at the Montgomery, Alabama plant was sick the day of the cars that have the issue and they put someone else in that position for the day? :) The tech was telling me that cars that have issues often trace back to a certain day on the assembly line.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Maybe the driver's side door/window person at the Montgomery, Alabama plant was sick the day of the cars that have the issue and they put someone else in that position for the day? :) The tech was telling me that cars that have issues often trace back to a certain day on the assembly line.
That's funny, actually. Tragically funny perhaps, but funny. :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took the Limited in today for service on the wind noise. It was also a VERY windy day here in NJ. The tech could hear it at speeds below 50 mph, mentioned something about the Palisade having a similar issue and spent the afternoon working on it, taping here, there (and maybe everywhere). Couldn't get the noise to abate. He then drove another model on the the lot and it produced the same issue. He will be putting a call into the Hyundai Tech line next week and I'm supposed to drop it off for a day (or two) after he hears back from Hyundai.
Sounds like this is a new model issue that will hopefully be addressed by Hyundai and fingers-crossed a TSB will be issued. Until then, the radio will just be turned up a bit louder.
I've attached the TSB regarding the Palisade. Maybe the Sonata is having a similar issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
When I got my '14 Elantra GT it had a strange wind noise around 55mph. As a former wind/rattle/noise techie at a dealership I just tracked it down on my own. Really bizarre what I found. The retainers for the plastic grill at the base of the windshield wipers were one size too small and allowed the trim to vibrate at a high frequency over 55mph. Sounded like wind noise at the base of the windshield. Change the little plastic retainers to the next larger size, problem solved.

I write this to let you know that the 2020 Sonata problem may be as simple as this. Five minute fix, problem has been gone ever since.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yikes! My 06 Azera was so quiet, but above 40mph... My 17 Azera is better but I can still hear wind noise on the highway too well since the cabin is so well insulated. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts