Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the smoked plastic wind deflector for the sunroof? Is it effective? Is is ok visually, or does it stick out like a sore thumb ? :)

My big complaint about sunroofs is the wind buffeting they create while driving. If a $50 piece of plastic eliminates it, the top of my head might get some sun this summer!

·
Registered
847 Posts
My daughter's 2005 Elantra had a plastic wind deflector for the sunroof. It looked OK, but it was difficult to clean underneath it. Not sure how much it helped. Most sunroofs now have a little wind deflector that pops up when the sunroof is opened (not sure if Elantras have this, because I don't have a sunroof.) Also, it was attached with screws, and I'm not crazy about the idea of drilling holes in the roof.
Personally, I'm not a fan of these things--they look OK, but I don't think they are worth it. But full disclosure: I don't use the sunroof very much on vehicles that have them, and when I am buying a vehicle, I look for vehicles that don't have sunroofs.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
we have owned several cars with sunroofs. every one benefited greatly with the deflector. makes it nice and quiet. dont have to open the roof all the way, and it increases the flow thru ventilation. when there is slight precip, opening the roof a couple of inches helps a lot with fogging, and the deflector covers up several inches, so nothing gets in. when parked, you can leave the roof open a couple inches, helps keep the heat out of the car. when getting in a hot car, opening the roof takes a lot of the hot air out quickly. the factory flip up delfector stops the buffeting, but a deflector makes it nice and quiet

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Have one on my 2017 Limited but haven't played with it since last summer, now I have to be retrained.

But recall some kind of button, that I can put it in deflector mode, another one completely opens and closes it.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Do they work, yes. Most you find are tape on like the side window deflectors. Some like the look, some don't. Basically it's up to you. On these cars they are easy to clean behind.

Personally I wouldn't put one on.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
all the deflectors we have had mount with 2 metal brackets and screws. takes just a few minutes to mount/dismount. i take them off when i wash the car

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Could post photos of my Limited sunroof, but also has photos, instead of adding a deflector, the front end of it tilts down.

This is actually my 5th vehicle with a sunroof, Supra doesn't count, has a removable roof. But all four previous one came with a crank where you can manually close it in case of electrical or motor failure. Could never comprehend why power windows never had this crank, sure got drowned a couple of times.

Sure can't complain about getting the sunroof and factory GPS with the Hyundia, got it practically for free, with others if you want a towing hitch or a better radio, had to lay out an extra 3,500 bucks first to get these options. But where is the crank for the sunroof.

Really need help on this issue, can't find anything in the owners manual on this subject, going blind. But in the shop manual, shows a hidden crank behind all that plastic where these sunroof controls are, but can't seem to find the instructions how to access it. Should I carry a plastic pry bar along?

With my other four equipped sunroof cars, lost about 2" of headroom, found no loss in the Limited compared to other models that did not have it. No more head bumping. But still have a lot to learn.

Is this one waterproof? Another question, others were not, a shunt system with four drain hose to get rid of that rain water. Would plug up with debris and overflow into the interior, was rather inconvenient and not easy to clean. Still more to learn.

But sunroofs are cool.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had the OEM Sonata deflector back in 2006 that mounted with the 2 metal brackets and screws. It did stop the buffeting. What I did not like, when I took the deflector off a few years later, sand/debris had worked its way under the rubber where the deflector and roof met and had sanded into the finish. Like @hochiinn said, probably should have taken it off and cleaned the area. But I thought it was set and forget.

I took it off because the look was getting dated.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Ha, aren't we talking about the 2017, on this car, instead of pushing the sunroof button back to the rear to open it. Just push that button upward and this is what happens for highway use. To close it, move that switch forward.

If you slide that switch rearward, will fully open the sunroof, but in my experience with these things, only good for driving in town at night, on the highway, will blow everything around, and doing the day, sunlight will cause skin cancer. But in highway mode, get a much nicer airflow.

Ha, just pray it closes again. Now to find that hand crank just in case.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Dude @toby267....

I have answers for you. First the exterior sunroof deflectors look so lame. Yes they serve their purpose.

The built-in factory deflector works really well. There’s one that pops up once the sunroof is in the open position towards the front. Once the sunroof is open, place your hand towards the front and pull down this deflector gently in order to get a feel of how it works. You can always do this while parked and do it from the exterior to better see what I’m talking about.

It’s silver in color and it feels very light...so, I’m guessing it’s made out of aluminum. It works with a tension bar on both sides. When the sunroof is closed, it pushes it down; when in the open position the deflector pops up.

Here’s the part number as well as the location to have a better idea of where it is.

https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/ge...made&Filter=()&Location=sunroof,8181611,81641

Now here’s a bonus for ya- Hyundai engineers added a little thought to the sunroof baffling effect. If you pull the sunroof open switch back and release it, the sunroof opens...but not completely! The reason why this happens is to somewhat limit the baffling effect. If you want the sunroof fully open, pull the switch back once more and the sunroof will be in the fully open position. Cool, right?

Btw I’m not talking about the sunroof tilt mode which Nick referred to above which is obtained by pressing the sunroof switch up to tilt the sunroof and forward to close. You’ll see once you open your sunroof.

Reactions: toby267

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Ha, aren't we talking about the 2017, on this car, instead of pushing the sunroof button back to the rear to open it. Just push that button upward and this is what happens for highway use. To close it, move that switch forward.

If you slide that switch rearward, will fully open the sunroof, but in my experience with these things, only good for driving in town at night, on the highway, will blow everything around, and doing the day, sunlight will cause skin cancer. But in highway mode, get a much nicer airflow.

Ha, just pray it closes again. Now to find that hand crank just in case.
with every s/r car we have ever owned, the deflector quieted the car way more than the rear tilt. opening the roof a few inches is way quieter than cracking the window, and we have the window deflectors, too. when i washed the car, remove the deflector, and make sure at least a coat of wax is put on where the deflector seal is on the roof. on a cool day, the open roof pulls the air thru the heater core very nicely, making the ride very enjoyable

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
From the shop manual:

"Whenever the vehicle battery is disconnected or discharged, or you use the emergency handle to operate the sunroof, you have to reset your
sunroof system as follows :
1. Turn the ignition key to the ON position and then close the sunroof completely.
2. Release the sunroof control lever.
3. Press and hold the CLOSE button for more than 10 seconds until the sunroof closed and it has moved slightly.
4. Release the sunroof control lever.
5. Press and hold the CLOSE button once again within 5 seconds until the sunroof do as follows;
• Tilt → Slide Open → Slide Close
Then release the lever.
6. Reset procedure of panorama system is finished.
Protecting Motor From Overheating
In order to protect the sunroof motor from overheating from continuous motor operation, the sunroof ECU controls the Run-time and Cool-time
of the motor as follows:
Body Electrical System
Body Electrical System
1. The sunroof ECU detects the Run- time of motor
2. Motor can be operated continuously for the 1st run-time (120 ± 10sec.).
3. The continuous operation of motor stops after the 1st Run-time (120 ± 10sec.).
4. Then Motor is not operated for the 1st Cool-time (18 ± 2sec.).
5. Motor is operated for the 2nd Run-time (10 ± 2sec.) at the continued motor operation after 1st Cool-time (18 ± 2sec.)
6. The continuous operation of motor stops operating after the 2nd Run-time (10 ± 2sec.)
7. Motor is not operated for the 2nd Cool-time (18 ± 2sec.).
8. Motor repeats the 2nd run-time and 2nd cool-time at the continued motor operation.
– In case that motor is not operated continuously, the run-time is increased.
– The Run-Time of motor is initialized to "0" if the battery or fuse is reconnected after being disconnected, discharged or blown."

Do mention that emergency hand crank.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Kind of a ventilation issue, got me curious how my Limited was doing this, shop manual doesn't explain it. Air comes in has to go out, for years the exhaust vents were in the rear door jams. Cruze was a bit crazy, used the rear of the door window, could feel a blast of air coming out with the blower at maximum.

Limited has two exhaust vents in the so-called package tray you are not suppose to store packages in, directed to the right in the trunk and down past the right rear wheel well. Simple trick to get more ventilation is to crack open your rear windows.

Sunroof is also tied to the recir door, if you try to close it, opening the roof will disable it, interesting.

Sure saw a ton of movies where people got locked in the trunk, have never seen a trunk yet where you can't open it from the inside. In my 78 Fleetwood, somebody tried to open the trunk, this wrecks the lock so it won't work anymore. Had to remove the rear seat, I could not crawl back there, but my ten year old could. Just pointed a flashlight at the lock, moved it, and the trunk popped open, so I could replace the lock.

On the Elantra, is a little green tab by the lock, barely visible, but slide it over to unlock it. Can also pull on those tabs to drop the rear seat backs, really not easy to lock up a person in an Elantra trunk. So much for the movies.

·
22,788 Posts
Have the Hyundai air deflector on mine. Used it on the ‘11, ‘13, and now the ‘17. Just keep transferring it. Sad thing is I rarely use the sunroof. I didn’t like the road noise without it, and not a fan of it with it. Does the deflector help with noise abatement. Maybe a little. But that’s my opinion. As far as looks, I get a lot of compliments on the car. But never one specifically directed towards the deflector. Who knows? (Shoulder shrug)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Lame but nice. Had mine open on the ride home today. Only way to go. I don't use the tilt up feature because it is noisy with the deflector. As noted, much nicer than having an window open. I can keep it open when raining. I guess when you get old, you worry more about function than looks.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Have the Hyundai air deflector on mine. Used it on the ‘11, ‘13, and now the ‘17. Just keep transferring it. Sad thing is I rarely use the sunroof. I didn’t like the road noise without it, and not a fan of it with it. Does the deflector help with noise abatement. Maybe a little. But that’s my opinion. As far as looks, I get a lot of compliments on the car. But never one specifically directed towards the deflector. Who knows? (Shoulder shrug)
Is a bit easier to use than the removable roof on my Supra, also a bit faster to close than putting the roof back on if it rains. . Not suggested to install the roof when driving. But not as cool.

·
22,788 Posts
@NicholasD: What I find strange is the few times I actually do open my sunroof. Certainly no more than 4-6 times a year. Regardless of which 3 model years I have owned.

Yet, on my old ‘85 CRX, I had barely gotten the engine started and I was already reaching for the control button. Oh, well...

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
With that Tech 1 package with the Limited, got it practically for free. Cruze wants a thousand bucks extra just for a slightly better radio.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts