Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I very much dislike the horn on my 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited. I would like to know how to disable the horn when i lock it remotely for now, and also how to replace it soon.

·
22,793 Posts
Replacement horns with louder decibel outputs are available at various retail locations and on the internet. There are some great forum sponsors on here that can provide some model-specific help with that request.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I got the hella knock off's from someone on ebay they can be heard . I was also disappointed with the horns jees you could barley hear them when at highway speeds so how could anyone else here them. . a friend has one of those electronic horns he hits it at the airport and it can be heard ofer a jet liner leaving . he also got a 1000.00 dollar ticket for using it in traffic a few days later. that is a expensive lesson.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The regular horn on my Elantra are very load. Did they use different horns on some cars or did they change them ??? My other car (2012 Azera) is just as loud no need to make them louder unless you live on the east coast......... People in the mid-west use their brakes people on the west coast use their horns :=)

·
22,793 Posts
...a friend has one of those electronic horns he hits it at the airport and it can be heard ofer a jet liner leaving . he also got a 1000.00 dollar ticket for using it in traffic a few days later. that is a expensive lesson.
That's expensive, alright. But that sure fits the bill for MY idea of a horn. "Getta outta our passing lane, you 10 MPH under-the-speed-limit snail driver!"

Or that heart-seizing moment when the car in the left lane decides to "come on over" to snuggle up alongside the same space you're currently occupying.

Do you recall the brand and what he paid for it? I'm thinking. LOL

·
Registered
890 Posts
I very much dislike the horn on my 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited. I would like to know how to disable the horn when i lock it remotely for now, and also how to replace it soon.
my SE trim GT it is not the horn, but a barely audible chime that sounds when I lock the door. I depend on the flashing lights at a distance to confirm the doors are locking.
The horn sound does sound wimpy though when used. There can't be more expense for Hyundai to make a decent sounding horn... something with a bit more testosterone. :)
Replacements should be straight forward from an auto parts supply place... or lots available online.

·
22,793 Posts
I got these for my son's WRX. He likes them and they are relatively loud, but not train horn loud.

Amazon.com: HELLA 003399801 Supertone 12V High Tone/Low Tone Twin Horn Kit with Bracket: Automotive
Not a bad price. and a 1 year warranty. But, seriously, when is the last time you had a horn fail on your vehicle? ;)

You said "relatively" to describe the decibels. Considerably better than what is/was on son's car?

(I secretly would like to have some locomotive trumpets behind my grill. While I'm at it, maybe some red and blue strobes in there, too! If I'm going to try and circumvent the codes, I might as well go for the whole enchilada, yes? Now, can I afford the fine and/or the time? An emphatic "NO" to that. :grin:)

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
My 2011 Sonata had the "meep meep" horn. Embarrassing.
Honestly, that was about the only thing on my Sonata that I hated. They ended up improving the horn in Sept of 2010, but I never upgraded mine.

My Azera horn is fine.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Not a bad price. and a 1 year warranty. But, seriously, when is the last time you had horn fail on your vehicle? ;)

You said "relatively" to describe the decibels. Considerably better than what is/was on son's car?

(I secretly would like to have some locomotive trumpets behind my grill. While I'm at it, maybe some red and blue strobes in there, too! If I'm going to try and circumvent the codes, I might as well go for the whole enchilada, yes? Now, can I afford the fine and/or the time? An emphatic "NO" to that. :grin:)
My son said they were maybe 40% louder than original. One reviewer said they were only 109 decibals, so there are much louder horns available.

Maybe you could "fit" your lights somewhere between these horns.

Attachments

·
22,793 Posts
:laughing: Remember that song! A classic. Maybe white strobes. I think they are legal for the street. Hmm...

·
Registered
2013 Sonata SE
248 Posts
i'm pretty sure the OP is talking about the 'speaker' that transmits the 'beep beep' when locking/unlocking the car....in my 13 sonata, there are 3 different types of horns (from factory)

1) horn that you control from the steering wheel (located under passenger headlight and behind grill
2) horn that goes off with the factory antitheft system (located on passenger side near wheel well inside engine bay
3) "horn" that beeps when locking/unlocking (does not sound like a horn; located in driver fender wheelweel, accessible when bumper or fender liner is pulled)

i actually changed the factory anti theft horn with one of the factory horns behind the grill so it was louder. i replaced the horn behind the grill with (2) sets of pairs of Fiamm Horns (2 different tones) that i got from the junkyard off a Saab and a Cadillac.

right now i only have this video of the anti theft horn to show the difference

i'll get a video of the other horns soon to show the loudness difference

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
i'm pretty sure the OP is talking about the 'speaker' that transmits the 'beep beep' when locking/unlocking the car....
Nah... I'm betting that he is referring to the actual car horn. My Sonata sounded like an anemic Road Runner, beep beep/meep meep.

It was pathetic.

Yes the alarm indicator is a much quieter beep. I don't think you'd get that confused with the actual horn.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Nah... I'm betting that he is referring to the actual car horn. My Sonata sounded like an anemic Road Runner, beep beep/meep meep.
If you read the OP post, he's asking how to disable the horn when remote locking.
The regular horn on the Elantra is not meep-meep style, it's more like dah-dah.
The alarm/locking horn is a weird meep-meep instead on the base models. I use it only when I want my colleagues to have a laugh.
But as I asked, when you don't press the lock button twice you don't hear the horn so why disable it?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Not a bad price. and a 1 year warranty. But, seriously, when is the last time you had a horn fail on your vehicle? ;)

Rich, they are rated for 118 decibles.... that is plenty loud... Rock Concert loud, abnoxious motorcycle exhaust loud (or louder). The tone?... well you will have to just guess at that... won't have the weezing blast of a trumpet air horn. Probably close to the sound most sedans on the road... just louder. And won't be a fruity sound that comes with many imports or small cars.

My GT does not use the horn to sound when locking the doors.... more like a weak chime dingle that can't be heard (far enough for me).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts