Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the 2021 Electra being announced on item that I head that it will be equipped with will be wireless android auto and wireless CarPlay. Will this be a feature that will be updated to the 2020 sonata’s. I feel this should have already been included upon the release of the 2020 sonata with all the tech that was packed in the vehicle, but was missing and is required to plug in your device which makes no sense to include a wireless charger. Would this be something that could likely happen with a firmware update to the head unit?

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
334 Posts
With the 2021 Electra being announced on item that I head that it will be equipped with will be wireless android auto and wireless CarPlay. Will this be a feature that will be updated to the 2020 sonata’s. I feel this should have already been included upon the release of the 2020 sonata with all the tech that was packed in the vehicle, but was missing and is required to plug in your device which makes no sense to include a wireless charger. Would this be something that could likely happen with a firmware update to the head unit?
No, it won't happen via firmware update. Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto both require Bluetooth and Wi-Fi to work. Bluetooth alone doesn't offer enough bandwidth for wireless AA/CarPlay.

The Sonata doesn't offer Wi-Fi. It would require a change of hardware for that to happen.

Note that while you feel they should have had wireless AA/CarPlay, there are actually very few cars out there that do. BMW has it and they're about the only one. Hyundai is working on it, as you pointed out. Not sure who else is, but it is not a widespread technology, even though phones support it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For wireless CarPlay you can buy a dongle like this for $160. CPLAY2air wireless adapter for factory CarPlay on CARPLAY2air.com. I have it for my sonata and it works great. Works just as well as wired CarPlay as far as I can tell. I don’t think there is an equivalent for Android yet that I know of.
Thanks for the recommendation but I have that dongle and it does work pretty flawlessly. I’m more concerned with wireless android auto due to recent purchase of the s20 plus.

·
Registered
334 Posts
You sure about that?
Interesting, but it could just mean that it can be a wireless client that connects to an access point, such as your home. Doesn't mean it's capable of being an access point.

Can you post the first 3 octets of the MAC address that you blacked out?

·
Registered
52 Posts
AVN5 has always had Wi-Fi. I could actually connect my '18 Elantra Sport using my phone as a hot spot. There was also an option to update the system via Wi-Fi but Hyundai never built out the back end so there was nothing for the car to connect to. I'm sure the h/w for the 10.25" multimedia display is the same for all Hyundai and Kia's receiving it. So it's not a question of can Hyundai enable wireless features on the Sonata it's will they. I'm guessing yes because it would be stupid to have a car that costs $5K less to have more tech features than their supposed flagship sedan. Over the two years I had the Elantra AVN5 received major functional updates so that it was current with what was included in newer cars.

·
Registered
334 Posts
@humansoup - That MAC address is an LG Innotek MAC address. They make WiFi modules. But I can't find any part number or firmware version to correlate to what you see on your screen. I should try that on my Palisade as well...

@B_A_H - What you're describing is the car connecting to something - i.e. a Wi-Fi client. It's unclear to me whether it can act as an access point, or even if that's what wireless CarPlay/AA need. But now I'm curious. Let's see if they start providing updates. You say yours got updated to receive functional updates. How did you get those updates? Via the map updates?

Also, unless I missed it, I don't have an option to connect my Palisade to my home Wi-Fi or phone as a hotspot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello, the H_U is capable of creating a hotspot.

In fact some version of wireless CarPlay is in the H_U already if you go in and tether the WiFi and Bluetooth. I’ve had my iPhone connect wirelessly but it’s unreliable. The connection occurs 1/25th of the time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I anticipate once IOS14 drops; the support for car key will be out by November to main stream users and the H_U will get updated to work with it and bring Wireless CarPlay before then.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited (Stormy Sea)
91 Posts
Hello, the H_U is capable of creating a hotspot.

In fact some version of wireless CarPlay is in the H_U already if you go in and tether the WiFi and Bluetooth. I’ve had my iPhone connect wirelessly but it’s unreliable. The connection occurs 1/25th of the time.
Is CarPlay fullscreen when using a USB cable or just when wireless? AA is 2/3 of the screen using the cable.
I connected my phone (LG V30) but like you said, it had trouble connecting. Seems to connect right when I turn the car off, but while the H_U is running, it repeatedly attempts to reconnect.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Is CarPlay fullscreen when using a USB cable or just when wireless? AA is 2/3 of the screen using the cable.
I connected my phone (LG V30) but like you said, it had trouble connecting. Seems to connect right when I turn the car off, but while the H_U is running, it repeatedly attempts to reconnect.
CarPlay via cable can be full screen or 2/3 (there’s an option for that in the car). AA can only do 2/3. The head unit was designed before AA could do widescreen. It needs updated. Hopefully, a firmware update can do that. If you have that option I mentioned above turned on, you can use that wasted 1/3 of the screen with AA for one of the built-in functions. Same as splitting the screen into 2/3 and 1/3 outside of AA. Drag from the right to the center to du that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts