Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2000 elantra and i am having a problem with the engine. when i am driving it the car will not go above 4000 rpms and at about 3600 it starts studdering. when it gets to 4000 it drops back down like it hit a rev limiter. what could be causing this?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Lacking power.... catalyst clogged/meltdown ??

Recent misfire concerns, plugs / wires replaced ??

Unscrew the upstream ox sensor (pre-catalyst) and try again..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just put a new cat, ecu, plugs and wires and o2 sensors in and it is still doing it. i have run out of ideas on what it could be please help me. it acts like the limiter is at 4000 rpm and wont go any higher.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Why was the Cat replaced ??

I assume you refer to the exhaust manifold-catalyst bolted to engine...

Answer here before I carry on with suspicions...

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I'll assume it was the exhaust manifold/catalyst bolted to cylinder head..

Then you have the front pipe with flex section, and it goes into a 2nd catalyst... chances are you lost debris and it has flowed into the second cat... had it happen to me.

Fella had car towed for alternator.. replaced alternator, run engine for electric test, and parked it. Fella comes to get car and when he tries to accell down road, it wont go.. comes back and tries to blame me. We replace manifold-cat... still wont go, the 2nd catalyst at outlet of front pipe is clogged too..

Disconnect front pipe and try driving again.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Yeah, it happened to an old Toyota I had. Had to drive 500 miles at 45 mph. **** off a lot of people. Cat had collapsed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts