Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some concerns about extra repair cost when owning a turbo and the life expectancy of the turbo. I plan on putting a lot of mileage on this car and don't know to much about turbo engines

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately i drive 20,000 miles a year and will use up the warranty in only 5 years.

QUOTE (2011HYUNDAISONATA20100930 @ Nov 21 2010, 12:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373486
I wouldn't worry about it for 10yrs and/or 100,000 miles ... I have a similar concern but as long as you maintain the car well. Hyundai's warranty should cover you for a long time.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (vid53 @ Nov 20 2010, 11:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373480
I have some concerns about extra repair cost when owning a turbo and the life expectancy of the turbo. I plan on putting a lot of mileage on this car and don't know to much about turbo engines
I've had the same concern. Unfortunately the Turbo itself does not fall under the 10/100. I was thinking of getting the extended warrant from Hyundai to make sure it is covered.

·
Registered
172 Posts
QUOTE (vid53 @ Nov 20 2010, 10:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373480
The simple rule is, the more complicated it is, more parts, etc., they will be more costly to repair and maintain.

A turbo car at least has extra turbo parts not in a basic non-turbo car. The answer is, yes, there might be extra repair costs. More parts generally means more parts to be maintain within or after warranty period. Fact. A bicycle is easier to maintain than a jet.

There is more just to cost. How much is excitement, prestige, and fun worth? I bought my Sonata in March and paid a premium for it. Had I waited and buy it now, I could have save a few thousands. Is it worth to me? Yes, and still with no regret. Had I given a choice of Turbo or Not Turbo in March, I would have seriously consider a Turbo. But, I already waited for the 2011 Sonata's debut for months!
:p
Sonata Turbo engine (2.0) is more beefed up than the non turbo (2.4) version. That might give you a little better assurance.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (BiGMERF @ Nov 21 2010, 05:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373628
this is the same thing that is plaques me.. With my purchase imminent i still go back and forth on which one to get.. I am concerned about the possibility of a turbo breakdown
You always have the option to add the extended warranty coverage, this will give you peace of mind. I think I will add it after the holidays when I get some extra cash.

btw, Here we go again with these JETS, I don't think I can take many more wins like this. But a win is a win and I'll take it.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
QUOTE (Joeeey @ Nov 21 2010, 07:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373657
You always have the option to add the extended warranty coverage, this will give you peace of mind. I think I will add it after the holidays when I get some extra cash.

btw, Here we go again with these JETS, I don't think I can take many more wins like this. But a win is a win and I'll take it.
will they sell a warranty that will cover the turbo only?

Yes they are killing me! but you know what? they are doing what a good team does.. FIND A WAY TO WIN !! But they have ti stop letting teams back into the game though. One day they wont be able to come back

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've been reading about 2011 Sonatas for a while, and finally ordered up some Truecar quotes, visited a dealer and spent a couple of hours checking out the cars and test driving both the 2.4 and the 2.0T (both Limited). First reaction to both cars -- ahhh! Gorgeous! The turbo is sweet -- and nicely set up so it's well mannered when getting started, and blends in smoothly at higher speed / RPM (at least that was my impression).

I drove the turbo first - loved it - and then tried the 2.4. Clearly a difference, but not enough for me for a couple of reasons:

I'm past the point where I race from a red light, and I was pleasantly surprised at the strong torque the 2.4 has in the 40 to 60 mph range -- for me, this translates into passing power, and it seems perfectly sufficient for my purposes. Clearly everyone will have different preferences, but the turbo isn't a huge differentiator for me.

On the flip side, the turbo is NOT part of the 10yr / 100k mi warranty as discussed here. Yes - you can get an extra warranty on it - but for me, this translates into extra cost for a) the turbo and B) the warranty (or potentially the additional service cost down the road).

In my new job, I'll probably be putting on 25k miles/year, and will use up the warranty in 4 years. I have a feeling the 2.4 will be cheaper to maintain at that point.

In the end, for me, it also came down to what I'll be paying. If I go with a base model, no options, I can save a bundle - but the Limited caught my eye (and my kids *love* the heated rear seats!), and I suspect it will be easier to keep the leather clean than cloth - and that means a lot with kids. Going for the limited -- or the turbo -- hits the peak of what I planned to spend. Going for both pushes that a couple of thousand higher, and the difference isn't that important to me.

In the end, I'd suggest driving both a few times, back to back, and deciding how important the turbo is to you. If important, and it's worth the difference in cost, you can, as pointed out here, put a cap on your risk with an extended warranty. I like the turbo, but likely to pass on it -- just talking myself now into spending the extra to get the Limited...and heading back to the dealer this week to close the deal.

- Jon

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (vid53 @ Nov 20 2010, 10:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373480
Rule of thumb, turbos aren't usually the best choice for long distance commuter cars. Of course that depends on the type of roads you travel and the way you drive. If your cruise control is set for 40 miles a day, probably not. If you have to navigate gnarly traffic where you need an occasional surge of power, a turbo makes a lot of sense.

Lurking in the Mitsubishi Evo boards may give you an idea about turbo reliability. The 2.0T should be just as reliable if not more than the Evo's.

·
Registered
90 Posts
QUOTE (Joeeey @ Nov 21 2010, 10:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373536
I've had the same concern. Unfortunately the Turbo itself does not fall under the 10/100. I was thinking of getting the extended warrant from Hyundai to make sure it is covered.
Don't know where you obtained your information, the Turbo is part of the powertrain, I copied and pasted the following from the extended warranty portion for the Engine components.

Powertrain covers the major components on your vehicle and offers protection against many major mechanical breakdowns. Covered components include:

Engine Transmission/Transaxle

Engine block and cylinder heads and all internally lubricated parts including pistons, piston rings, pins and cylinder sleeves; crankshaft, pulley, main bearings, caps and bolts; connecting rods, rod bearings, caps and bolts; camshaft(s), camshaft bearings, buttons and plugs; timing gears and timing chain or belt; rocker arms, rocker arm pivots, shafts and bushings; intake and exhaust valves, springs, guides, adjusters, retainers and seats; pushrods and lifters; intake manifold; exhaust manifolds; balance shaft; water pump; fuel pump; thermostat; oil pump, cover, gears, pressure relief valve and screen; rotor housing, rotors, shims and silent shaft; all internal fasteners, nuts and bolts; turbocharger/supercharger assembly including boost valve and wastegate; seals and gaskets

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (The Rock13 @ Nov 22 2010, 01:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373876
Don't know where you obtained your information,
I have been misinformed. I ask this question in another thread and I was told that the turbo was not covered under the 10/100. Thanks for the correct information. Now I feel I don't need to purchase the extended warranty. more money for mods :banana:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts