Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
22,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford announced the only “cars” they are offering next year will be the Mustang and the Focus (I think that was the one). Gone are the Taurus, Fusion, etc.

What they are going to manufacture, in addition to above: SUV’s and trucks. That’s it.

Generous Motors has been quoted as following as well.

So, Veloster, Accent, Elantra, Sonata...are their days numbered? What of Genesis spin-off’s? This may be interesting to watch develop.
Thoughts, anyone? Ideas, suggestions, speculations, prognostications? :wink2:

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Genesis thus far is a flop. What were they thinking - it lacks the cachet of European marks, the marketing has been off target, the roll out plan has been poorly executed and is a disaster, KIA is eating their lunch with a product, the Stinger that has appeal and the marketing has been on target.

Hyundai will stay in the car business, the CUV craze is not worldwide, mostly the NA market at present. I don't think they anticipated the sharpness of the decline in the Sonata numbers, but I suspect their resources were focused on Genesis, Kona and whatever assortment of new SUVs, CUVs and weird looking pickups they are developing.

Sante Fe refresh will be one to watch, it's in a segment very popular in the NA market, but the refresh seems to be along the lines of what they did with the Sonata - who knows maybe even thicker rear trailing arms than the Sonata, lol

Reactions: OkieRich

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
Ford announced the only “cars” they are offering next year will be the Mustang and the Focus (I think that was the one). Gone are the Taurus, Fusion, etc.

What they are going to manufacture, in addition to above: SUV’s and trucks. That’s it.

Generous Motors has been quoted as following as well.

So, Veloster, Accent, Elantra, Sonata...are their days numbered? What of Genesis spin-off’s? This may be interesting to watch develop.
Thoughts, anyone? Ideas, suggestions, speculations, prognostications? :wink2:
I'll be looking somewhere else....

·
22,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
@dtech: Spot-on with your analysis of the Genesis marketing strategy. Priced one, lately? :eek:

I really came close to pulling the trigger on a new Azera last October. Somewhere between leaving the dealership on a test ride and returning, the “reality gremlin” reached up and bit me on the arse. Got outta there faster than a tornado went thru my home town in 2013.

In our area, there’s no word about what dealer is gonna pony up for a new showroom and a lot full of upper end inventory. Even my service manager says current Genesis owners make up 3% of their business. And as that 3%, the service guys have to go over the top because these owners are wanting to be coddled and bottle fed. He’s looking forward to that product line leaving the lot. The remaining 97% are better to work with, more accepting of some wait times, and don’t think their car is the second coming to Mercedes.

And the Stinger? Uh, in a word, YES! They hit their marks with that entry.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Agree sedans will survive. And that the SUV craze is mostly in NA. NA market is no longer the only (or even main) game in town anymore. Remember back when GM needed to trim car lines? Buick was dying in the US but expanding in China- so GM kept Buick and killed off Pontiac :(

Also agree that Hyundai has really messed up their handling of Genesis- including their dealer relationships. But Genesis remains an attractive high-value luxury car line that could end up making it in the US market IF they can settle on their own niche. IMHO Their initial strategy for Genesis could still work. It started not by just putting Genesis models on the sales floor right next to Elantras, but separating them as a sort of 'high roller's' section within some Hyundai dealerships. Buyers who loved their Elantra or Sonata could conveniently upscale to a Genesis (high value luxury) with that next big job promotion. But expecting high rollers to directly cross-shop against other luxury marques??? I do not see them succeeding if they immediately try to 'out-Mercedes' Mercedes.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
well I'm still looking for someone, anyone who understands and can explain that Genesis ad in B&W showing a dude riding a motorcycle around a curve, there may have been a car in the ad, not sure if I remember that detail, to me it seemed more of an add geared towards selling a motorcycle.

So yeah maybe Hyundai can distract a number of Sonata buyers and upsell them on a Genesis, but that takes away from Sonata sales which aren't exactly killing it and a lot of their buyers are value shoppers looking to spend less than buying a Camry or Accord. Lookie here on this board and I've seen a couple of Hyundai owners who aspire to move up to Genesis, but I don't think those are significant numbers. I see Genesis finding more success in attracting Acura, Infiniti Lexus and Caddy owners who want more car for their money, but yeah agree on the Mercedes and luxury Euro owners, most would feel embarrassed being seen in a Genesis and that has little to do with what dealership they walk into, although though back in 2012 I went in a couple of KIA dealerships and felt that I indeed had lowered myself, the sales staff were unprofessional and not at all knowledgeable or trustworthy.

And most of all Genesis lacks what so many in the US market want - and it's not a sedan, or funky comic book pickup. I'd consider buying a Genesis motorcycle though if they ever decide to make one, that B&W ad is burned into my inner consciousness.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Price of gas sure affects the price of new vehicles, was in December of 1974 when the price of gas increased from 30 to 50 cents a gallon ran into a 1973 Cadillac Fleetwood that sat on the lot of over a year with a sticker price of $8,000.00. Offered $3,000.00 for it, all the spare cash I had at the time, dealer took it as an insult, but left my phone number anyway.

Next morning they called me and said it yours for $3,000.00, its fuel economy was not much worse than other vehicles at the time, and had four kids to haul around.

See gas this last month jumped 50 cents per gallon, have to see what happens.

One thing about driving a compact car, sure have to drive defensively. Paying an extra penny per mile won't kill us.

We looked at the Santa Fe, rear seat is still 53 1/2" wide just like the Limited, and still only a five passenger vehicle, larger trunk back there, but be careful what you put in, can break that rear window. Would cost over twice as much to drive it.

Purchased that 82 Pace Arrow 11 years ago, if I deducted the price of six brand new tires and three brand new batteries, only paid $1,500.00 for it, this is what the price of gas does to vehicles. Not bad for any vehicle with only 39K miles on it.

Also ran across a 27 foot Sea Ray cruiser in Green bay on a trailer that looked like brand new in every respect, only asking $7K for it, but just a tad too large for the lakes around here. Again, the cost of fuel.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you look at the Hyundai IONIQ and the Hyundai Kona you are looking at the latest powertrain that will likely dominate and take over all other models. I expect the Elantra to be a rebadged IONIQ with different tunes and minimal modifications depending on the model.

I see the Accent going away with a base model Elantra only being an additional 1K.
Santa Fe will be back to a single model with the standard model being a 4 cylinder getting rid of the V6.
Sonata replaces the V6 Hyundai Azera (No longer sold in the US) with Sonata possibly getting a beefier trim.

If you look at the Hyundai website as well you have the 2019 Kona EV looking like a Santa Fe Sport.

In short Hyundai in 2019 will no longer be producing a V6 engine excluding the Genesis line.

They will keep the gas based turbo charged engines for the sport/fun models for owners less concerned with MPG while all other models will go with a IONIQ or KONA powertrain style as the base model car will be a hybrid in some fashion to increase MPG numbers for city driving which will have the most benefit for daily drivers.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I sure hope sedan's stick around. I really hate full SUV's for me to high off the ground and fuel economy is terrible. My wife just bought a Kia Niro Touring and I actually like it because it is lower and car like and small, we were going to get a Tucson but it just felt like it was to much space and height. The mileage ratings were not that great and ended up going for the Niro, she loves it. The power train is the same as the Ioniq in the Niro. Personally though I really like the regular gas engine of the Elantra for me. I think gas prices are going to go up and down but continue to creep up over time Buying a SUV or Crossover that doesn't get that great of mileage isn't smart. Everyone says Crossovers are the future and Sedan's are dead. Most people buying the crossovers don't really need the versatility and when gas goes up they will be coming back to Sedan's and smaller vehicles. unless the Crossover is very small and a hybrid gas mileage will suffer from the wind resistance that they have. If you look at the Kona it doesn't do all that great on gas. I do think I would like driving the Kona because it is smaller and lower but don't know if I would buy one for me. I think next purchase will be a loaded Elantra.

·
Registered
126 Posts
@dtech: Spot-on with your analysis of the Genesis marketing strategy. Priced one, lately? :eek:

My uncle just picked up a Genesis G80 3.3T we had on the lot.... $65k... But then again, I talked him into it lol. It really is a gorgeous car. Cobalt Blue. Carbon Fiber all over the inside. Quick (twin turbos will do that :grin2: ) The wheels are killer. But... it's still a $65k Hyundai...

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Sure have a ton of SUV's, pickup's, and van's around here, owners must not give a darn, rod these things and slam on their brakes at a stop sign or traffic light.

Really a new joke is that Honda Clarify, a hybrid that lets you drive 12 miles on an electrical charge, but don't worry, will switch to gas averaging 33 mpg. Base price of it is $10K more than a loaded Limited.

Will stick with my Limited, generally average at least 35 mpg in town, closer to 50 mpg on the highway, and fully loaded.

If dealers don't even know how to change oil, how can they work on an extremely complex hybrid system.

States are going nuts on how to charge gas tax on electrics, simple, increase everyone's rates. Darn gas guzzlers are sure increasing the demand for fuel, we all pay the price for these idiots. With OPEC, said we only need to use 10% less, same with ethanol, just want to use 10% less.

How about using more than 60% by driving an Elantra, and sanely. Still get there either faster or just as quick.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hyundai sells more cars than SUVs. The Elantra is Hyundai's top selling vehicle. The Sonata and Elantra together outsell all of the Hyundai SUV models. I doubt that they will abandon the sedan market any time soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts