Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cheers lads,

We just bought a SF Sport LTD and we will be picking it up this Friday so as you can all guess I'm on the fence as to wether or not I should get the dealer remote starter (around 600CDN) or go for an aftermarket starter which would be far less expensive.

Here is the kicker. The dealership tells me that any remote starter NOT installed by them will void my warranty which I'm guessing is BS because, well it's their upsell shpeel and I find it hard to believe that the only push button start remote starters that can be safely installed on a Santa Fe is exclusive to the dealership.

Can anyone tell me if they've heard the same story from their dealership?

Cheers and thanks

·
2,258 Posts
yes and no. it wont void the whole warranty, but it will come into play if down the road you have electrical issues such as lock issues, alarm issues, BCM(body control module), engine starting issues, etc. the starter "touches" a lot of different aspects of your car - and those issues will be blamed on the remote starter.

tell them you want a starter, but for a better price. the funniest thing is that the dealer doesn't install anything. they contract with an outside installer/company, that you could could visit down the street and get it done for much cheaper - but the dealer puts you in a headlock with the warranty.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely a yes and no answer lol.... Now the trick is to find out who does it. ;)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Actually, my dealer in Ottawa did install the Hyundai OEM remote starter themselves. The new kit is essentially plug and play, with only 1 wire to solder if I recall correctly. Done in about 1.5 hours. Make sure it is the new kit and not the old. Price sounds high 'cause old kit required 2.5 hours due to soldering requirements.

There is already a thread in this forum on this subject which provides much details, and I have also noted some of my problems in a similar thread in the LWB sub forum.

As far as warranty, technically, I guess they can, but unlikely they will. However, IM is right...depending on how "customer service" oriented the dealer is. They could blame any electrical issues on the remote start. Then it's up to you to prove it is not. That said, I have always had aftermarket remote start/security and never had an issue if installed by a reputable, authorized installer. For example, I had the Viper system in my Highlander installed by Future Shop since they are authorized Viper installers. A few bugs at the beginning that got worked out on a subsequent visit, and nothing again for 4 yrs.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I know here in Brantford Ontario (6 hrs from Ottawa) the local dealer has a long standing/trustworthy audio shop in town do thier installs for them, they just mark it up if you do it through the dealer.
90% of the dealerships in town deal through this specific audio shop... so like everyone else - yes and no... but really if you stay away from the future shops/best buys where the 18 year old kid of the week is doing the install - you should be fine, and never have any issues.

·
Registered
190 Posts
yes and no. it wont void the whole warranty, but it will come into play if down the road you have electrical issues such as lock issues, alarm issues, BCM(body control module), engine starting issues, etc. the starter "touches" a lot of different aspects of your car - and those issues will be blamed on the remote starter.

tell them you want a starter, but for a better price. the funniest thing is that the dealer doesn't install anything. they contract with an outside installer/company, that you could could visit down the street and get it done for much cheaper - but the dealer puts you in a headlock with the warranty.
We install all our remote starters at our dealer??

·
Registered
413 Posts
I know here in Brantford Ontario (6 hrs from Ottawa) the local dealer has a long standing/trustworthy audio shop in town do thier installs for them, they just mark it up if you do it through the dealer.
90% of the dealerships in town deal through this specific audio shop... so like everyone else - yes and no... but really if you stay away from the future shops/best buys where the 18 year old kid of the week is doing the install - you should be fine, and never have any issues.
Not sure why the dealer would sub it out... The genuine auto starter, is a plug and play item. If you go to the parts desk and ask to see it. Open the box and the instructions are inside. Anyone could do it.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
if you stay away from the future shops/best buys where the 18 year old kid of the week is doing the install - you should be fine, and never have any issues.
Disagree...in part. If it is an 18 year old, then yes...walk away. However, I had my Viper 2-way auto start and security combo installed by Serge at a Future Shop, who was, dare I guess, in his late 30s, early 40s? Just speaking to him made the difference. He knew what he was talking about and a straight shooter. He did a fantastic job on my install. Like I said, a couple of bugs ironed out on the next visit via a call to Viper tech support. 4 years, not one issue. Don't discount them if they are "authorized" installers. Just set up a time to see them at work in the bay, meet with them, talk to them and ask them some questions that you know the answer too. If not authorized and you have probs with your system, you are SOL. DEI DEI (which owns the majority of the big brands) will not cover a darned thing.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I have to agree. It's all about the person doing the work and not the place.... That said, why does Canadian tire always f*ck up a car repair?

;)

·
Registered
246 Posts
We install all of our remote starters , it doesn't make sense to get someone else to do it . I would rather have a licensed technician install it who knows what they are doing .

·
Registered
246 Posts
Not sure why the dealer would sub it out... The genuine auto starter, is a plug and play item. If you go to the parts desk and ask to see it. Open the box and the instructions are inside. Anyone could do it.

for the most part it is plug and play , but you do have to take the center console apart to hard wired one wire

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
We install all of our remote starters , it doesn't make sense to get someone else to do it . I would rather have a licensed technician install it who knows what they are doing .
Wholeheartedly agree if it is a Hyundai OEM starter, and if the car is new because you get the added bonus of it being covered under the car's warranty. However, if it is aftermarket, then I would question whether any dealer is an authorized installer...authorized by the remote starter manufacturer. If a dealer is, perfect. If not, any warranty on the starter/security system is void. In Ottawa, for example, there are only 7 authorized installers of Viper according to their website, 2 of which happen to be Ford dealerships actually. Ultimately for me, #1 is whether they are authorized, and #2 is the credibility and capability of the person installing. This goes out the window if the warranty is not a priority for someone, and/or chose to do it themselves.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts