Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, i have a 2009 accent GS and I would like to install a Weapon R intake. The only thing holding me back is the questioning of it possibly voiding my warranty. If this will void it, can hyundai install one for me? Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you are in the US, the Magnusson Moss warranty act will protect you, in that if there is a failure covered under warranty, the dealership must prove that your intake caused the failure in order to deny warranty coverage.

As for installing the intake, why pay for a stealership to do it when it can be done with common hand tools? Getting a stealership to install an intake is hit or miss in that some will complain that its not a hyundai part and/or they don't want to be liable for a screwed up install.

Did your intake come with instructions?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
It's a very subjective question. If you blow up your motor with the thing, and the dealer doesn't want to honor the warranty because you added performance parts and drive like Speed Racer, what do you do next? Call the lawyer? Good luck with that. I wouldn't want to.

Hyundai has a option for a cold air intake. Why don't you consider that?

·
Registered
219 Posts
QUOTE (Dragonmp5 @ Jul 4 2010, 10:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338740
If you are still in doubt then check K&N for a high flow air filter that will fit in your stock filter box.
A K&N filter isn't exactly 100% safe, either. I could affect the warranty on the MAF sensor and/or any drivaebility problems caused by the MAF sensor not reading correctly due to oil contamination. It happens.

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
QUOTE (RoosterSauce @ Oct 13 2010, 08:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363358
A K&N filter isn't exactly 100% safe, either. I could affect the warranty on the MAF sensor and/or any drivaebility problems caused by the MAF sensor not reading correctly due to oil contamination. It happens.
Actually I had this problem. I was throwing a CEL for the MAF and the dealership said it was due to my K&N I called K&N they got a hold of the dealership and all of a sudden the dealership was giving me a new MAF for free. Go K&N!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
QUOTE (v33sonata @ Jan 13 2011, 05:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=390580
Actually I had this problem. I was throwing a CEL for the MAF and the dealership said it was due to my K&N I called K&N they got a hold of the dealership and all of a sudden the dealership was giving me a new MAF for free. Go K&N!!!

The manufacturer will do anything they can to get out of warranty, but they have to prove that something else was the cause. Look what happened with Toyota and the pedals. No one has yet to figure exactly what had happened.

If you do install and aftermarket intake filter or cold air system, be sure to keep the OEM stuff for safe keeping.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yes there are laws protecting us from auto manufacturers from voiding our warranties after we've modded our cars. For instance, if you've change your shocks/coilovers and your window regulator stops working, obviously those two components are not related and you shouldn't have any problems getting it fixed under warranty. However, if you've installed an ECU tune to your car and the engine "fails", the dealership has the ability to blame it on the tune. What you would be left with is getting the car towed out of the dealership, taking it to another mechanic who will then attempt to prove that the tune did not cause the failure, and then get a lawyer to prove that case to either the dealership/Hyundai in litigation. It really is a big pain in the butt and unless you are willing to go the distance in the event of failure, I strongly recommend you sticking with a reputable company with plenty of satisfied customers. There are plenty of companies out there, for many makes of cars, with fabulous claims of improvement. It is our job, as forum members, to warn each other and ensure that we post both good and bad experiences with these "mod" companies. Caveat emptor (buyer beware) is a slogan I live by when I am having to make a decision on a particular change I do to my car. Just like when you bought the car, do your research.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts