Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem that has been happening off and on for almost a year but has gotten incredibly bad lately. My wife has a 2004 Sonata 6 cyl with 58,500 miles and an automatic transmission that has been jumping from low RPMs to high RPMs. The car has a spot on the accelerator where if I'm under that spot it feels like I just kicked a manual transmission into too low a gear for the speed I'm going (you know, that balky, decelerating feeling) although the RPMS stay at about 1.0-1.8k and if I'm above that spot the RPMS jump up to about 2.7k-3.5k and the car takes off. The car has also stalled out a few times. The Check Engine Light finally came on last week and the code was for the Throttle Position Sensor. Bought a new one for $90 and replaced it myself and did not help at all. The one I replaced didn't seem to have any dead spots on the ohm-meter, but I was idiotically hoping to just have the problem fixed. The CEL came back on after reset with the same code, though. I'm about to replace the fuel filter and reset the ECM, but would like to know if there's anything else I can try. We had the timing belt replaced about a year ago (I checked to see that there WAS at least a new one in there) and the last place my wife took it to have the fuel injectors flushed and the throttle body cleaned said that the timing belt was bad, but they also wanted to overcharge her massively to replace it, so I'm not exactly inclined to trust them. After they were told that we had just replaced it, they backed down and said that it looked "loose"... :dry: Other work that has been done recently: Transmission & PS fluid flushes, rotors resurfaced & struts replaced.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Skip the fuel filter, has nothing to do with A/T control..

There is a few random trans programs for the 2.7 floating around, dealer plug in GDS and go to ECU upgrade, select transmission if there is laine available, and select program(s) to be done.. then reset adaptive values (2004 is disconnect battery cable for couple minutes),-- preferably do this when car is good-n-hot, then you can start learn process when done, as fluid is currently up to temp --- drive lightly at no more than 25% throttle to effect all shifts up, and down a few times, and I use the sprot mode to help learn also..

You say you had flush to A/T... who did it, and did they use the genuine Hyundai-Kia SPIII trans fluid ?? Wrong fluid, dump it like last month, get correct fluid in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Skipped the fuel filter per your advice and just reset the ECM. Everything works great so far. Went 60+ miles on highways and city streets with a 2-hour break in between (something guaranteed to cause problems before) and the drive from the word 'Go' and throughout was as smooth as if we just bought the car. Will probably do this every month or so as I've seen advised in this forum, but will pull the fuse next time as I don't want to hit all the radio presets and clock every thirty days...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts