Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grrrr....

My wife wants me to trade my car in now after yet another issue on my Certified Preowned Cadillac. Needless-to-say, GM has lost me as a customer for life. There is not much on the market right now that I like other than the Sonata. However, there are too many little issues popping up that is leaving me very reluctant. I am hoping she will let me hold off a couple more months because I want the Turbo if I go the Sonata route.

·
Registered
258 Posts
QUOTE (BigRedNole @ May 28 2010, 09:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327271
Grrrr....

My wife wants me to trade my car in now after yet another issue on my Certified Preowned Cadillac. Needless-to-say, GM has lost me as a customer for life. There is not much on the market right now that I like other than the Sonata. However, there are too many little issues popping up that is leaving me very reluctant. I am hoping she will let me hold off a couple more months because I want the Turbo if I go the Sonata route.
I have some complains about my Sonata, but i will take Sonata over any other GM made car all day long! Hope this helps... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ula. I will walk before I have another GM product. The only other options I have out there are the Toyota death traps and Ford Fusion (employer discount and incentives are pretty insane right now).

·
Registered
589 Posts
After a crappy GTO and Vette, I'm done with GM as well. As 'our' girl Ula said (she's the only one here, I believe :grin:), I also trust Sonata better than GM, and they're backing up their cars with a proper warranty.

If I ever buy a domestic car again, it'd probably be a Ford. The Taurus looks nice, but it's a leviathan, and didn't really wanted an excuse (out of warranty) to get rid of the car in 3 years anymore. Yes, the first year is more risky indeed, but all cars are going to have issues. I have to say that lately I've had less issues with first year cars than ever, and my last 4 cars are first year models (CR-V, M3, Accord coupe, and Sonata). It's too early to tell on the Sonata, but at least we have a proper warranty. And only issues so far are minor, and isolated for now. Good luck.

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (BigRedNole @ May 28 2010, 09:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327275
Thanks Ula. I will walk before I have another GM product. The only other options I have out there are the Toyota death traps and Ford Fusion (employer discount and incentives are pretty insane right now).
I traded in my 2007 Camry, partly over concerns of safety. Actually it was a lease but I got out of it a few months early. I test drove the Fusion before I bought the Sonata. While there are some issues with every car, there was no comparison between the Fusion and Sonata. I think if you test drive both you'll see what I mean. I was really tempted by the SYNC stuff on the Fusion because I'm a gadget freak. But the reality was, I just wouldn't use it much. The lack of front seat dimensions and cheapness of the interior on the Fusion made it an easy decision.

There is no doubt the Toyota is a quieter more refined car than the Sonata. But it costs a lot more and it just isn't fun to drive. I actually hated mine and was glad to get rid of it. When I compare ride quality it sometimes makes me rethink. But then I remember all the things I hated about it and I'm happy with the decision I made.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would hold out for the 2.0T if possible. I wish I would've, but it is what it is. Besides I would've been stupid to pass up on the deal i got for my GLS. I look at it this way...if the turbo turns out to be everything we expect it to be, I won't hesitate to trade in my GLS. So if I were you I would wait...but I didn't because I'm impatient :thumbsup:

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (BigRedNole @ May 28 2010, 10:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327275
just because a couple of Camrys have braking issues, theres no reason to tout the whole line...Toyota sales are still up 34% from last year, Toyota still makes a die hard awesome lineup that you can't kill..forget about depreciation, there is none when you buy Toyota...my dad has an 05 Rav 4 that up until the past year, was still worth what he paid for it new, used.......that speaks volumes...

I love my 01 4runner..best truck out there IMHO....

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ May 28 2010, 10:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327291
.forget about depreciation, there is none when you buy Toyota..
That's not true at all. My 2007 Camry had a sticker of over $32K. I paid about $28K. Less than 3 years later the most I could get as a trade was $14.5K. The lease buy-out was $17K. Not exactly what I'd call no depreciation.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, getting brakes on my Caddy, there is more wrong and a lot more work required. I told them to just get the least amount of stuff done. I will be trading it in tonight or tomorrow. Since the Ford dealer is 2 miles from my house, I will check out the Fusion. I will head to the Hyundai dealer that is about 15 miles away. I will decide tonight which I like better. Most likely, I will be in a new car by Sunday.

89 Deaths in the US have been linked to a known defect by Toyota. To me that is the CEO personally holding a gun to 89 people's head and pulling the trigger himself. If they took action when they knew there was an issue, I would have a different view. They have massive incentives right now which is helping, but unless they hand write a a guarantee in the contract, I would never buy one.

·
Registered
143 Posts
QUOTE (BoomerK6 @ May 28 2010, 11:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327285
I would hold out for the 2.0T if possible. I wish I would've, but it is what it is. Besides I would've been stupid to pass up on the deal i got for my GLS. I look at it this way...if the turbo turns out to be everything we expect it to be, I won't hesitate to trade in my GLS. So if I were you I would wait...but I didn't because I'm impatient :thumbsup:
I keep going back and fourth on whether I should have waited for the turbo. The SE just looks and handles like it should have more hp. But then again there was that great deal...

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (midas69 @ May 28 2010, 11:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327298
That's not true at all. My 2007 Camry had a sticker of over $32K. I paid about $28K. Less than 3 years later the most I could get as a trade was $14.5K. The lease buy-out was $17K. Not exactly what I'd call no depreciation.
theres gotta be more to it than that.....did you car have excess miles, wear/tear???

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ May 28 2010, 10:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327309
theres gotta be more to it than that.....did you car have excess miles, wear/tear???
Nope, as a matter of fact there were no end of lease charges at all. It had about 25K miles on it and not a single scratch on the interior or exterior. This was fully loaded XLE with 6cyl and navigation. The car was perfect. Just look up auction prices and you'll see what the dealers can buy them for.

·
Registered
267 Posts
QUOTE (BigRedNole @ May 28 2010, 10:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327271
However, there are too many little issues popping up that is leaving me very reluctant.
I can understand and appreciate your concerns. But, speaking for myself, I bought my SE in the middle of February and after 3,000 miles haven't had a hint of a problem. In fact, the car has proven to be better than I expected and a joy to drive. The 200 HP will probably meet 95% of most owners' driving needs and still return 32-33 mpg on average. While some owners have had some problems/complaints, it does appear that a large majority seem satisfied with their 2011's.
I can see waiting for the turbo if you really want/need more performance but I really wouldn't hold off because of a relatively few reported problems. You'll be missing a lot of months of a great drive. But, that's just me.

Don

·
Registered
533 Posts
I agree with Donrich. The car is pretty peppy and I am coming off a highlander hybrid and RX400h both of which had V8 performance with a V6. I do not feel like I am in the penalty box in the least.

·
Registered
167 Posts
For what it's worth, I'm about to hit 2000 miles on my SE and haven't had one single issue other than the occasional rattle from the glove box on washboard roads. I'm pretty sure I can easily fix that though. My only regret at this point is that I fear I will jealous when the turbo hits the streets. You'll take a huge financial hit tading in a brand new car that early, so I know all I can do is sit back and look green with envy. :grin:

Up until the last couple of years I was a die hard chevy fan boy (still own two of them). All my mother ever drove was a Caddilac. With only a few exceptions, my daily driver has always been GM for the last 20+ years (mostly trucks/SUVs). I have noticed a steady decline in both general quality (workmanship in particular) and engineering design for the last 10 years. My 2004 Tahoe was pretty much the straw that broke the camel's back, which is ironically Edmunds' "Editors Most Wanted" and "Used Car Best Bet" for '04. Sadly, my practicality has trumped my brand loyalty and I will likely never buy another GM vehicle due to the issues that I and my friends have had (and are continuing to have) on new GM vehicles. A shame really.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Nothing like more power but when you add a thing like a turbo you run into long term problems. Is the turbo considered a power train item or bumper to bumper item? Turbos and changing oil is another thing. You can't have dirty oil or that turbo will fail!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the info. I may be leaning towards getting the SE fully loaded. I just wish it had the darn backup camera. I will probably go look at the Sonata tomorrow. I am going to look at a Ford Fusion tonight because the dealer is just outside my subdivision. I need something to compare to. It will all come down to my trade in covering TTL and fees.

I may have a Sonata tomorrow. I hope I can get in a color I prefer.

·
Registered
587 Posts
QUOTE (BigRedNole @ May 28 2010, 10:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327271
Grrrr....

I wouldn't even consider a Cadillac, one knock off after the other, that new mini Cadillac SUV = jazzed up Chevrolet. Nothing exciting about Cadillac's I had a 94 and 95 Fleetwood, its my opinion they are simply a status symbol. Looking in the used car paper, used Sonata and used STS, Sonata half the price of the STS, granted two different cars, but still. Cadillac's just dont excite me.

The other big thing, when that warranty expires I can only shiver at the thought. That Hybrid Escalade, wow, it will be a paper rock I'm sure.

Also, I used to be big on V6/V8, after gas prices went up yes V6's were nice, but now I've wised up and realized power is nice, but how often do I really need it? Do I need 235 HP cruising at 65, or driving in city traffic. I'm wishing I would have gotten the 4 cylinder Sonata, at the time the V6 was so smooth and sounded so good I went for it, this was February 2008 before the gas prices shot to $4.70 a gallon and the economy went sour. My advice, get the Sonata, you will thank yourself at the pump and when you don't have any mechanical problems. I have 101,700 miles on my 2006 Sonata GLS V6, runs great no problems. Not one problem yet. I got it at 20k miles.

·
Registered
594 Posts
LOL With my slight Dyslexia resulting in occasionally swapping words, the first time I read it, I read "Wife wants to trade me in" :D Not the forum for that I guess.

·
Registered
717 Posts
You will like this over the fusion. That was my second choice but the valve, ride and warranty all win for the Sonata. The MPG on the Sonata is awesome to boot.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts